Professional Web Applications Themes

Finder quits on wake from sleep - Mac Portable

I have an iBook on OS 9.2 that has been giving me problems with finder quits on wake from sleep. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough to be annoying. I've done some research in google groups and tried most of the suggestions that were offered for similar problems there, but they haven't worked. My suspicion is that it has something to do with plugging and uplugging USB keyboard and mouse. I think this because most of the time, the iBook sits on my desktop and remains plugged into the keyboard and mouse. I *never* have finder quits ...

  1. #1

    Default Finder quits on wake from sleep

    I have an iBook on OS 9.2 that has been giving me problems with finder
    quits on wake from sleep. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough
    to be annoying. I've done some research in google groups and tried most of
    the suggestions that were offered for similar problems there, but they
    haven't worked.
    My suspicion is that it has something to do with plugging and uplugging
    USB keyboard and mouse. I think this because most of the time, the iBook
    sits on my desktop and remains plugged into the keyboard and mouse. I
    *never* have finder quits waking from sleep in these cirstances.
    In the summer, I like to work on the back deck, so the iBook gets
    unplugged and transported almost daily. I like to use at least the mouse
    in these cirstances and have now started using a keyboard as well, so
    they get plugged in and out a lot. This is when the problem occurs,
    especially after the iBook has been asleep for quite awhile after being
    unplugged from the USB devices.
    I've tried replacing the Finder prefs and Energy Saver prefs. I've
    tried rebuilding the desktop. I turned off Appletalk and File Sharing. I
    tried different variations of when I unplug the USB devices (before
    putting the iBook to sleep, after putting it to sleep) etc. Nothing has
    made a difference.
    I read one article that suggested replacing the Finder entirely. It's
    been a long time since I did that, but if I recall, I can simply drag and
    drop a new Finder from the install disk to the System Folder, right?
    Any other suggestions on how to solve this aggravating problem would be
    most appreciated.

    --
    [email]dotlyc[/email]
    dotlyc@yahoo.com Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Finder quits on wake from sleep

    We have an iBook bought last summer that runs fine in OSX which is more
    stable in my opinion.

    As far as replacing the finder in OS9, your approach will work ok as
    long as IT'S THE SAME VERSION!

    You might consider doing a clean install and then dragging preferences
    selectively back from "Previous System Folder". It might be quicker
    than replacing every file piecemeal

    Might be worth running Disk Warrior but doesn't sound like hard disk?

    I know that other sleep apps/extensions can cause problems like yours.
    Make sure that Sleeper or other apps and extensions that can put a Mac
    to sleep are not running.

    I haven't seen sleep problems when I plugged/unplugged USB devices so
    your problem is rather weird. Maybe you should get a good powered hub
    to power all your USB peripherals but again that may not be the problem?

    [email]dotlyc[/email] wrote:
    > I have an iBook on OS 9.2 that has been giving me problems with finder
    > quits on wake from sleep. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough
    > to be annoying. I've done some research in google groups and tried most of
    > the suggestions that were offered for similar problems there, but they
    > haven't worked.
    > My suspicion is that it has something to do with plugging and uplugging
    > USB keyboard and mouse. I think this because most of the time, the iBook
    > sits on my desktop and remains plugged into the keyboard and mouse. I
    > *never* have finder quits waking from sleep in these cirstances.
    > In the summer, I like to work on the back deck, so the iBook gets
    > unplugged and transported almost daily. I like to use at least the mouse
    > in these cirstances and have now started using a keyboard as well, so
    > they get plugged in and out a lot. This is when the problem occurs,
    > especially after the iBook has been asleep for quite awhile after being
    > unplugged from the USB devices.
    > I've tried replacing the Finder prefs and Energy Saver prefs. I've
    > tried rebuilding the desktop. I turned off Appletalk and File Sharing. I
    > tried different variations of when I unplug the USB devices (before
    > putting the iBook to sleep, after putting it to sleep) etc. Nothing has
    > made a difference.
    > I read one article that suggested replacing the Finder entirely. It's
    > been a long time since I did that, but if I recall, I can simply drag and
    > drop a new Finder from the install disk to the System Folder, right?
    > Any other suggestions on how to solve this aggravating problem would be
    > most appreciated.

    George Guest

  4. #4

    [email]dotlyc[/email] wrote:
    > I have an iBook on OS 9.2 that has been giving me problems with finder
    > quits on wake from sleep. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough
    > to be annoying. I've done some research in google groups and tried most of
    > the suggestions that were offered for similar problems there, but they
    > haven't worked.
    > My suspicion is that it has something to do with plugging and uplugging
    > USB keyboard and mouse. I think this because most of the time, the iBook
    > sits on my desktop and remains plugged into the keyboard and mouse. I
    > *never* have finder quits waking from sleep in these cirstances.
    > In the summer, I like to work on the back deck, so the iBook gets
    > unplugged and transported almost daily. I like to use at least the mouse
    > in these cirstances and have now started using a keyboard as well, so
    > they get plugged in and out a lot. This is when the problem occurs,
    > especially after the iBook has been asleep for quite awhile after being
    > unplugged from the USB devices.
    > I've tried replacing the Finder prefs and Energy Saver prefs. I've
    > tried rebuilding the desktop. I turned off Appletalk and File Sharing. I
    > tried different variations of when I unplug the USB devices (before
    > putting the iBook to sleep, after putting it to sleep) etc. Nothing has
    > made a difference.
    > I read one article that suggested replacing the Finder entirely. It's
    > been a long time since I did that, but if I recall, I can simply drag and
    > drop a new Finder from the install disk to the System Folder, right?
    > Any other suggestions on how to solve this aggravating problem would be
    > most appreciated.

    George Guest