Professional Web Applications Themes

Finder windows don't respect the dock, hard drive keeps moving - Mac Applications & Software

I have an original eMac with jaguar and updates current to about a week ago. I've had the continuing problem of the finder opening windows that are too big for the screen, or hold the resizing tab under the dock. You can't see the last row of icons because they are under the dock, you cant use the scroll arrows because they are under the dock. The only work around I've found is changing the resolution while the window is open. I was helping my cousin with his eMac today and it does the same thing. Does anyone know how ...

  1. #1

    Default Finder windows don't respect the dock, hard drive keeps moving

    I have an original eMac with jaguar and updates current to about a
    week ago. I've had the continuing problem of the finder opening
    windows that are too big for the screen, or hold the resizing tab
    under the dock. You can't see the last row of icons because they are
    under the dock, you cant use the scroll arrows because they are under
    the dock. The only work around I've found is changing the resolution
    while the window is open. I was helping my cousin with his eMac today
    and it does the same thing. Does anyone know how to fix it? For the
    life of me, I can't figure out how this made it out the door. The
    other thing, is that I like my hard disk icon in the upper right hand
    corner. I place it there, but the next time I reboot, it's back in
    the middle of the screen. Does anyone know how to fix it?

    Chris
    If life seems jolly rotten
    There's something you've forgotten,
    and thats to laugh and smile and dance and sing!
    Chrisr Guest

  2. #2

    In article <1m6chv00vokq9j5l95vefsepofu619fnpl4ax.com>,
    Chrisr <crex.no-spam.bellatlantic.net> wrote:
    >I have an original eMac with jaguar and updates current to about a
    >week ago. I've had the continuing problem of the finder opening
    >windows that are too big for the screen, or hold the resizing tab
    >under the dock. You can't see the last row of icons because they are
    >under the dock, you cant use the scroll arrows because they are under
    >the dock. The only work around I've found is changing the resolution
    >while the window is open. I was helping my cousin with his eMac today
    >and it does the same thing. Does anyone know how to fix it? For the
    >life of me, I can't figure out how this made it out the door. The
    >other thing, is that I like my hard disk icon in the upper right hand
    >corner. I place it there, but the next time I reboot, it's back in
    >the middle of the screen. Does anyone know how to fix it?
    >
    >Chris
    >If life seems jolly rotten
    >There's something you've forgotten,
    >and thats to laugh and smile and dance and sing!
    The invisible .DS_Store file in your home directory is owned by somebody
    else. There's a nice feature (NOT!) in OS X where whomever looks in a
    directory first gets to own the window view settings.

    You'll have to log in as the admin, run Terminal, type "sudo rm
    ~/.DS_Store", and then enter the admin password.
    Kevin McMurtrie Guest

  3. #3

    In article <mcmurtri-20EA22.02433218072003typhoon.sonic.net>,
    Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrisonic.net> wrote:

    >The invisible .DS_Store file in your home directory is owned by somebody
    >else. There's a nice feature (NOT!) in OS X where whomever looks in a
    >directory first gets to own the window view settings.
    >
    >You'll have to log in as the admin, run Terminal, type "sudo rm
    >~/.DS_Store", and then enter the admin password.
    No, you don't. You can remove files from your own directory
    regardless of who owns them.

    --
    Matthew T. Russotto [email]mrussottospeakeasy.net[/email]
    of justice is no virtue." But extreme restriction of liberty in pursuit of

  4. #4

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 09:43:32 GMT, Kevin McMurtrie <mcmurtrisonic.net>
    wrote:
    >In article <1m6chv00vokq9j5l95vefsepofu619fnpl4ax.com>,
    > Chrisr <crex.no-spam.bellatlantic.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have an original eMac with jaguar and updates current to about a
    >>week ago. I've had the continuing problem of the finder opening
    >>windows that are too big for the screen, or hold the resizing tab
    >>under the dock. You can't see the last row of icons because they are
    >>under the dock, you cant use the scroll arrows because they are under
    >>the dock. The only work around I've found is changing the resolution
    >>while the window is open. I was helping my cousin with his eMac today
    >>and it does the same thing. Does anyone know how to fix it? For the
    >>life of me, I can't figure out how this made it out the door. The
    >>other thing, is that I like my hard disk icon in the upper right hand
    >>corner. I place it there, but the next time I reboot, it's back in
    >>the middle of the screen. Does anyone know how to fix it?
    >>
    >>Chris
    >>If life seems jolly rotten
    >>There's something you've forgotten,
    >>and thats to laugh and smile and dance and sing!
    >
    >The invisible .DS_Store file in your home directory is owned by somebody
    >else. There's a nice feature (NOT!) in OS X where whomever looks in a
    >directory first gets to own the window view settings.
    >
    >You'll have to log in as the admin, run Terminal, type "sudo rm
    >~/.DS_Store", and then enter the admin password.

    I checked the file and the owner is me. I called Apple support and
    they had me remove the global preference files and that didn't help
    either.