Professional Web Applications Themes

finding/replacing color - Adobe Indesign Windows

Is there a way in ID to find out where a color is used. I am doing a 2-color piece and when I select all unused colors and delete them, I am finding a third color that I didn't remember using. Is there a way to find out where that color is - so I can see the result when I replace it?...

  1. #1

    Default finding/replacing color

    Stephen_Field@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: finding/replacing color

    The easiest way would be to print separations to PDF and uncheck the
    colors you're using in the doent. That will leave you with a PDF with
    only the colors you don't want.

    You could probably script it, but for a short doent, the above method
    is faster.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  3. #3

    For some reason, when I do separations - it gives me the CMYK separations and not the spot color.
    In the doent - there is a pantone spot color and then just black(white). But in the swatch pallette it also shows blue.
    How can I get it to separate with just the spot color and black.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Stephen_Field@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Are you sure it's a spot color? Is it defined as such?

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  5. #5

    I am actually trying to figure this out for someone else.

    It is a pantone color that exists in the doent - how do I know if it is defined as a spot color.

    Unfortunately, the one link in the doent that is missing is the eps logo that contains the pantone color (I am assuming), Could that make the difference?

    I am desparate to try and help them figure this out with my limited knowledge. Thanks
    Stephen_Field@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Double click the color in the swatch palette and see if it's defined as
    spot or process.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  7. #7

    It says it is a spot color. What am I doing wrong and how can I remove the third color Blue? Thanks for your insight
    Stephen_Field@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Why would it say spot and not show up in the separations. The separations are cmyk instead. Not spot and black
    Stephen_Field@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Something is not right. If it were truly a spot, it would show up in the
    ink manager.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  10. #10

    <Stephen_Fieldadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > Is there a way in ID to find out where a color is used. I am doing a
    2-color piece and when I select all unused colors and delete them, I am
    finding a third color that I didn't remember using. Is there a way to find
    out where that color is - so I can see the result when I replace it?

    As was suggested, try printing separations. Make your printer either
    Distiller or Acrobat PDF. Select Print -> Output -> Color ... Separations.
    Select only the ink you can't find. There may appear to be nothing on the
    PDF page(s) generated. Using the direct selection tool in the advanced
    editing tools, select all (control-A). That should show you where the color
    appears.

    To just delete the color: Whenever I have RGB blue show up, it's a
    hyperlink. Check the Character styles pallette for that style and delete it.
    Then, on the Swatches pallette flyout, select all unused and delete any
    selected. If the blue is not selected, you should still be able to delete it
    manually (select & delete).

    If you cannot delete it: it is present somewhere in the doent. Try
    selecting all text and checking to be sure it is black.

    And yes, it's essential to chase down that missing link if you want the
    dcoument to print properly!

    I hope this helps ...
    Peggy

    Peggy_Coquet@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    OK, I figured out part of the problem - in the ink manager I had "convert all spots to process" checked . So I unchecked that and now I have black, the pantone color, and blue.

    I used the separations preview and found where I thought the blue was. It shows up on one page as part of a shape. When I go to that page, I select all of the objects, text, text frames, graphic frames, etc. and I cannot find the blue. It will not let me manually delete the blue either.

    Is there a way to get rid of this blue in the swatches pallette. I can not find a blue plate when I print separations to PDF.
    Stephen_Field@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Traci_Kachidurian@adobeforums.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    Have you read the entire thread? Have you searched the forum for other
    workarounds?

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest