Professional Web Applications Themes

Finding the includer - PHP Development

On 8/8/03 4:46 PM, in article XaTYa.258$z7.56477wards.force9.net, "matty" <matt+nntpaskmenoquestions.co.uk> wrote: > I have one file that includes another file across two domains. >> >> Is there a way I can make the included file aware of the domain of the >> file that is "including" it? >> > > Why??? > > Also, you *do* realise that accessing a remote PHP file will give you > the output of the script, not its source code, unless the remote > script/webserver is set up to deliver PHP source to the public... Yes, I understand very well how this works. It is ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Finding the includer

    On 8/8/03 4:46 PM, in article XaTYa.258$z7.56477wards.force9.net, "matty"
    <matt+nntpaskmenoquestions.co.uk> wrote:
    > I have one file that includes another file across two domains.
    >>
    >> Is there a way I can make the included file aware of the domain of the
    >> file that is "including" it?
    >>

    > Why???
    >
    > Also, you *do* realise that accessing a remote PHP file will give you
    > the output of the script, not its source code, unless the remote
    > script/webserver is set up to deliver PHP source to the public...
    Yes, I understand very well how this works.

    It is a security measure. I do not want the results of the included (which
    is PHP source) to be available to the public, only this file on a specified
    server.

    The isssue is not whether or not I am sending the right kind of data. I know
    what I'm doing in that aspect and it is correct. I'm just looking for
    something simple like HTTP_REFERER, but sadly is not set.

    --
    -Tom "Tekcor" McGrath
    iMac, Therefore, I am

    Tom McGrath Guest

  2. #2

    Tom McGrath wrote:
    > I have one file that includes another file across two domains.
    >
    > Is there a way I can make the included file aware of the domain of the
    > file that is "including" it?

    Why???

    Also, you *do* realise that accessing a remote PHP file will give you
    the output of the script, not its source code, unless the remote
    script/webserver is set up to deliver PHP source to the public...

    --
    Matt Mitchell - AskMeNoQuestions
    Dynamic Website Development and Marketing

  3. #3

    in article bh113f$9h6$1eeyore.INS.cwru.edu, Joshua Ghiloni at
    [email]jdg11SPAM.ME.AND.DIE.cwru.edu[/email] wrote on 8/8/03 4:27 PM:
    >>> Also, you *do* realise that accessing a remote PHP file will give you
    >>> the output of the script, not its source code, unless the remote
    >>> script/webserver is set up to deliver PHP source to the public...
    >>

    >> Yes, I understand very well how this works.
    >>
    >> It is a security measure. I do not want the results of the included (which
    >> is PHP source) to be available to the public, only this file on a specified
    >> server.
    >>
    >> The isssue is not whether or not I am sending the right kind of data. I know
    >> what I'm doing in that aspect and it is correct. I'm just looking for
    >> something simple like HTTP_REFERER, but sadly is not set.
    >>

    > If I'm reading this right, what I'm seeing is that script1 on domain1
    > includes script2 on domain2. The output of script2 is the PHP code you
    > wish to include. If that is the case, why not pass a variable, with
    > domain1 as its value, to script2 when including it in script1?
    Because, as previously mentioned, this is a security thing and easily
    forged.

    webmaster@thezaz.net Guest

  4. #4

    Tom McGrath wrote:

    > Yes, I understand very well how this works.
    >
    > It is a security measure. I do not want the results of the included (which
    > is PHP source) to be available to the public, only this file on a
    > specified server.
    >
    > The isssue is not whether or not I am sending the right kind of data. I
    > know what I'm doing in that aspect and it is correct. I'm just looking for
    > something simple like HTTP_REFERER, but sadly is not set.

    If you're so certain you know what you're doing, why are you asking
    in here? You could try it out, to see what happens. One way to do it,
    if you have a script that serves php source, would be to pass it a query
    parameter (which could be forged), as

    *** you cannot generally trust another host on the internet **

    Why can't you have the file local to the executing server?

    I don't understand the requirement or the application, it might
    be easier to help with some idea of what you're trying to do, and why.
    matty Guest