Professional Web Applications Themes

Finding video-file URLs in decompiled Flash video - Macromedia Flash

Hi, My department in a research library archives Web sites. This involves downloading all the files that are necessary to reconstruct a Web site: graphics, Flash files, PDFs, HTML pages, etc. Then we localize all the links to keep the user within the archives. When it comes to a page that plays a Flash video, I can download the SWF file but I have difficulty getting at the video itself. I can open up the Flash video file with a Flash decompiler and see the scripts, sprites, frames, and so on, but I don't see the URL of the video. ...

  1. #1

    Default Finding video-file URLs in decompiled Flash video

    Hi,

    My department in a research library archives Web sites. This involves
    downloading all the files that are necessary to reconstruct a Web site:
    graphics, Flash files, PDFs, HTML pages, etc. Then we localize all the
    links to keep the user within the archives.

    When it comes to a page that plays a Flash video, I can download the
    SWF file but I have difficulty getting at the video itself. I can open
    up the Flash video file with a Flash decompiler and see the scripts,
    sprites, frames, and so on, but I don't see the URL of the video.

    These are small Flash files that play long videos, so I know the video
    is not embedded in the file but is on another server and is being
    requested from somewhere within the Flash file.

    Where would the the video URL be located within a Flash video file?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    ashenfelder Guest

  2. #2

    On 27 Feb 2006 05:42:13 -0800, "ashenfelder" <com>
    wrote:

    It must be in the script somewere its just finding it. It may be
    inside a MC or deep inside the timeline. Normaly you can find it if
    you can find the screen which shows the player or the screen were the
    player loads

    Samuria Guest

  3. #3

    Can you please provide a link to the web page containing the SWF file

    Thanks
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Samuria. What exactly is an MC?

    Mike

    ashenfelder Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Jeckyl. In the interest of copyright sensitivity I'll send you
    two, one that's free and clear but complex and one that's not free and
    clear but is simple:

    1) http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/cev/new_spaceship_noaccess.swf
    There are no copyright issues with content of public government sites.
    This Flash movie is complex though. One button on the main screen is
    marked "Video" and it launches a Quicktime movie in a separate player.

    2) http://www.youtube.com/player.swf?video_id=xESiWCzdllY&l=221 links
    to the Police video "Every Little Thing She Does is Magic" on
    Youtube.com. It's a relatively simple SWF movie that plays when you
    load it.

    The program I'm using to view the SWF code is called Flash Decompiler.
    I can see the various resources for each movie from within that
    program.

    Both movies are small, so I know the videos are not embedded but reside
    on another server and URLs within each SWF point to this other server.
    I'd appreciate any help locating the video file URLs within the SWF
    movies.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    ashenfelder Guest

  6. #6

    In the second example, it combines /get_video?video_id= with the video id
    xESiWCzdllY to give the final url
    http://www.youtube.com/get_video?video_id=xESiWCzdllY which is the url for
    the FLV (its about 9Mb). I was able to simply download the FLV using that
    URL and play it in a FLV player.

    I didn't look at the first example as yet .. the second was quick and simple
    enough :)
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  7. #7

    Jeckyl,

    I'm sort of following this. And I did download the FLV file.

    So where did you find the "/get_video?video_id=" reference? Or is that
    just some standard syntax I need to know?

    Also, FLV is new to me. Is it a streaming media format on equal footing
    with MPEG, RM, and ASF?

    And is there a link somewhere in an SWF file that requests and plays an
    FLV file?

    Thanks,

    Mike

    ashenfelder Guest

  8. #8

    > So where did you find the "/get_video?video_id=" reference? Or is that

    Its in the decompiled script

    That's like asking what a SWF file is .. go to the MM website and do a
    search onf FLV. And yes .. it is a streaming format and can be as good as
    or better than the other formats you mention.

    Yes .. look found it in only a few seconds. I looked for there the 'play'
    was called for a netstream and to see what variable held the url to load ..
    it was variable 'file' .. so then i looked for where varaibel file was set
    up . and it was the combination of "/get_video?video_id=" and _root.video_id
    ... _root.video_id comes from the tag in the html.

    If you are going to look for things, you really need to have some idea of
    what you are looking for.
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  9. #9

    If your browser is Internet Explorer, the easy way to do this is to make the
    site available offline.
    IE automatically saves everything for you.

    "ashenfelder" <com> wrote in message

    Chuck Guest

  10. #10

    > If your browser is Internet Explorer, the easy way to do this is to make

    That will not get external FLV files loaded by the SWF

    Jeckyl Guest

  11. #11

    Hi,ashenfelder.
    If you want to get the url of flash, you can use Mathon Internet
    Explorer.There is a system button called ViewPage.
    Click it, you will view the scripts, flash, link and so on.
    Hope you get the answer you need.

    --Terry
    The final prizes of life are at the end of journey, not near the
    beginning; and it is not given to me to know how many steps are
    necessary in order to reach my goal. Failure I may still encounter at
    the thousandth step, yet success hides behind the next bend in the
    road. Never will I know how close it lies unless I turn the corner.
    http://www.flash-on-tv.com/
    http://video-to-flash-encoder.com/

    citizenwp@gmail.com Guest

  12. #12

    Jeckyl,

    what you are looking for.

    You're absolutely correct, which is why I posted my questions to this
    newsgroup, to get an idea of what I'm looking for.

    I know how streaming media works with Real Media, Windows Media, and
    Quicktime. I know about streaming servers versus HTTP servers, the use
    of small metafiles to request large video files, the use of non-HTTP
    protocols (RTSP, MMS, etc), and dynamically assembled (usually
    JavaScript) URLs. Flash video uses all these elements in a way that's
    new to me.

    There's a mountain of information on the Macromedia site about Flash
    and Flash video, and culling through it for exact answers to specific
    questions has been very frustrating. It's nice to have the opportunity
    to ask experts here on the newsgroup.

    I really appreciate all your help. Thanks.

    Regards,

    Mike

    ashenfelder Guest

  13. #13

    Thanks Terry. That's a handy utility for quick SWF grabs.

    Mike

    ashenfelder Guest

  14. #14

    > Hi,ashenfelder.

    Seeing the HTML page won't help

    And he already has the SWF , so capturing that form the page won't help
    either.
    --
    Jeckyl

    Jeckyl Guest

  15. #15

    What seems to work best at this point are the snippets you pointed out,
    Jeckyl:
    "get_video?video_id=" and the alphanumeric video ID.

    Through a few means -- the Maxthon browser or Firefox's menu selection
    Tools > Page Info > Media -- I can grab the SWF file. The scripts
    within the SWF files I've decompiled so far have not mentioned any FLV
    file by any specific ID. The ID seems to be in the URL itself, and it's
    often confirmed in the HTML, in statements like the following bit of
    JavaScript requesting the SWF file:
    FlashObject ("/player.swf?video_ide=f08c1PMODw8...etc.

    So if I tack "get_video?video_id=f08c1PMODw8" onto the URL, I get the
    FLV file. And I can skip the SWF file, though we need to have it in our
    archives.

    So far I've been testing on Youtube.com. I'm going to continue testing
    on video.google.com, which is a whole other headache. They use 1k GVP
    metafiles to request the actual video, which appears to be in a GVI
    format !?!

    Thanks again,

    Mike

    ashenfelder Guest