Professional Web Applications Themes

Fink Commander: strange error message in Darwin - Mac Programming

Hello all, I had great support from this group the last time that I posted. So I got the x11 implementation from the Apple website and installed the developer tools from my CD. I got what appears to be a reasonable installation of Fink, but when I run Fink Commander to get and instal some of the packages, I am getting the following error (even though the installation appears to be sound): Preparing to replace fink 0.13.6-1 (using ..../fink_0.13.6-1_darwin-powerpc.deb) ... Unpacking replacement fink ... Setting up fink (0.13.6-1) ... Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin6.7 This system is unrecognized and not supported by ...

  1. #1

    Default Fink Commander: strange error message in Darwin

    Hello all,

    I had great support from this group the last time that I posted. So I
    got the x11 implementation from the Apple website and installed the
    developer tools from my CD. I got what appears to be a reasonable
    installation of Fink, but when I run Fink Commander to get and instal
    some of the packages, I am getting the following error (even though
    the installation appears to be sound):

    Preparing to replace fink 0.13.6-1 (using
    ..../fink_0.13.6-1_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...
    Unpacking replacement fink ...
    Setting up fink (0.13.6-1) ...
    Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin6.7
    This system is unrecognized and not supported by Fink.
    dpkg: error processing fink (--install):
    fink
    ### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
    Failed: can't install package fink-0.13.6-1

    I suppose that my installation of X could be flawed -- Is there a good
    way of verifying the integrity of the installation?

    Thanks again,

    Joel Eaves
    Jack Mackrel Guest

  2. #2

    In article <338cb633.0309202044.3239486eposting.google.com >,
    [email]joeleaveshotmail.com[/email] (Jack Mackrel) wrote:
    > I had great support from this group the last time that I posted. So I
    > got the x11 implementation from the Apple website and installed the
    > developer tools from my CD. I got what appears to be a reasonable
    > installation of Fink, but when I run Fink Commander to get and instal
    > some of the packages, I am getting the following error (even though
    > the installation appears to be sound):
    >
    > Preparing to replace fink 0.13.6-1 (using
    > .../fink_0.13.6-1_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...
    > Unpacking replacement fink ...
    > Setting up fink (0.13.6-1) ...
    > Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin6.7
    > This system is unrecognized and not supported by Fink.
    Are you sure that you got the right version of Fink (There 10.1 version doesn't
    work on 10.2 and vice versa)?

    meeroh

    Miro Jurisic Guest

  3. #3

    In article <338cb633.0309202044.3239486eposting.google.com >,
    [email]joeleaveshotmail.com[/email] (Jack Mackrel) wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I had great support from this group the last time that I posted. So I
    > got the x11 implementation from the Apple website and installed the
    > developer tools from my CD. I got what appears to be a reasonable
    > installation of Fink, but when I run Fink Commander to get and instal
    > some of the packages, I am getting the following error (even though
    > the installation appears to be sound):

    [snip]
    > Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin6.7
    > This system is unrecognized and not supported by Fink.
    [snip]

    Running uname -a on my system tells me I have Darwin 6.6, and I'm
    running 10.2.6. Are you running a developer preview of Panther? Since
    Fink has required significant changes for the transition to Jaguar, it's
    reasonable to think it would require the same for Panther, and that it's
    not supported yet. I'd take this up with the Fink people if that's the
    case.
    Michael Ash Guest

  4. #4

    In article <mail-E5ED8E.11370421092003localhost>,
    Michael Ash <mailmikeash.com> wrote:
    > In article <338cb633.0309202044.3239486eposting.google.com >,
    > [email]joeleaveshotmail.com[/email] (Jack Mackrel) wrote:
    >
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I had great support from this group the last time that I posted. So I
    > > got the x11 implementation from the Apple website and installed the
    > > developer tools from my CD. I got what appears to be a reasonable
    > > installation of Fink, but when I run Fink Commander to get and instal
    > > some of the packages, I am getting the following error (even though
    > > the installation appears to be sound):
    > >
    > [snip]
    > > Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin6.7
    > > This system is unrecognized and not supported by Fink.
    > [snip]
    >
    > Running uname -a on my system tells me I have Darwin 6.6, and I'm
    > running 10.2.6. Are you running a developer preview of Panther? Since
    > Fink has required significant changes for the transition to Jaguar, it's
    > reasonable to think it would require the same for Panther, and that it's
    > not supported yet. I'd take this up with the Fink people if that's the
    > case.
    I believe Darwin 6.7 would be 10.2.7, which I think is what's shipping
    on the Macs released in the past month (G5s and iMacs, and probably the
    new PowerBooks).

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert [email]ejalbertstanford.edu[/email]
    [url]http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/[/url]

  5. #5

    My version of Darwin is 6.7, which I think is 10.2.7. Most of the
    things that I've read tell me that problems like the one that I'm
    seeing are the result of a bad installation of Fink or of Fink
    Commander. Since Fink installed fine, I don't think that the problem
    lies there but I'm looking for a way to verify the integrity of the
    installation.

    Joel

    Eric Albert <ejalbertstanford.edu> wrote in message news:<ejalbert-7A3B4A.11031221092003news.stanford.edu>...
    > In article <mail-E5ED8E.11370421092003localhost>,
    > Michael Ash <mailmikeash.com> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <338cb633.0309202044.3239486eposting.google.com >,
    > > [email]joeleaveshotmail.com[/email] (Jack Mackrel) wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hello all,
    > > >
    > > > I had great support from this group the last time that I posted. So I
    > > > got the x11 implementation from the Apple website and installed the
    > > > developer tools from my CD. I got what appears to be a reasonable
    > > > installation of Fink, but when I run Fink Commander to get and instal
    > > > some of the packages, I am getting the following error (even though
    > > > the installation appears to be sound):
    > > >
    > [snip]
    > > > Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin6.7
    > > > This system is unrecognized and not supported by Fink.
    > > [snip]
    > >
    > > Running uname -a on my system tells me I have Darwin 6.6, and I'm
    > > running 10.2.6. Are you running a developer preview of Panther? Since
    > > Fink has required significant changes for the transition to Jaguar, it's
    > > reasonable to think it would require the same for Panther, and that it's
    > > not supported yet. I'd take this up with the Fink people if that's the
    > > case.
    >
    > I believe Darwin 6.7 would be 10.2.7, which I think is what's shipping
    > on the Macs released in the past month (G5s and iMacs, and probably the
    > new PowerBooks).
    >
    > -Eric
    Jack Mackrel Guest

  6. #6

    Jack Mackrel <joeleaveshotmail.com> wrote:
    > My version of Darwin is 6.7, which I think is 10.2.7. Most of the things
    > that I've read tell me that problems like the one that I'm seeing are the
    > result of a bad installation of Fink or of Fink Commander. Since Fink
    > installed fine, I don't think that the problem lies there but I'm looking
    > for a way to verify the integrity of the installation.
    Try:

    fink selfupdate

    ...in a terminal window.

    fink itself isn't all that complicated, anyway. I can't see absolutely
    needing FinkCommander for the time being.
    Paul Mitchum Guest

  7. #7

    I found something to fix the problem. It is a post from another
    board, but here's the body that fixed the problem:

    This problem has now been fixed with the new version fink-0.13.7 .
    Once
    the sourceforge CVS server has caught up (perhaps 24 hours from now),
    you can get the associated source file by doing a "fink
    selfupdate-cvs".
    It will be in the unstable tree, so if you don't have the unstable
    tree
    enabled, you'll need to copy
    /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/finkinfo/base/fink-0.13.7-1.info
    into the directory
    /sw/fink/dists/local/main/finkinfo .

    Or, if you don't want to wait 24 hours, you can get the source file
    from
    my website:
    [url]http://www.cgtp.duke.edu/~drm/software/fink/fink-0.13.7-1.info[/url]

    HTH,
    Dave

    [email]joeleaveshotmail.com[/email] (Jack Mackrel) wrote in message news:<338cb633.0309202044.3239486eposting.google. com>...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I had great support from this group the last time that I posted. So I
    > got the x11 implementation from the Apple website and installed the
    > developer tools from my CD. I got what appears to be a reasonable
    > installation of Fink, but when I run Fink Commander to get and instal
    > some of the packages, I am getting the following error (even though
    > the installation appears to be sound):
    >
    > Preparing to replace fink 0.13.6-1 (using
    > .../fink_0.13.6-1_darwin-powerpc.deb) ...
    > Unpacking replacement fink ...
    > Setting up fink (0.13.6-1) ...
    > Checking system... powerpc-apple-darwin6.7
    > This system is unrecognized and not supported by Fink.
    > dpkg: error processing fink (--install):
    > subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    > fink
    > ### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
    > Failed: can't install package fink-0.13.6-1
    >
    > I suppose that my installation of X could be flawed -- Is there a good
    > way of verifying the integrity of the installation?
    >
    > Thanks again,
    >
    > Joel Eaves
    Jack Mackrel Guest