Professional Web Applications Themes

Fire wire cable for Nikon D1 - Photography

Is this cable all you need to transfer pictures from a Nikon D1 camera to a PC?. Is this a basic USB cable? How do most users of the Nikon digital cameras transfer pictures from their camera to a PC?....

  1. #1

    Default Fire wire cable for Nikon D1

    Is this cable all you need to transfer pictures from a Nikon D1 camera to a
    PC?. Is this a basic USB cable? How do most users of the Nikon digital
    cameras transfer pictures from their camera to a PC?.

    Infocus Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fire wire cable for Nikon D1

    Infocus wrote:

    I use an internal PC card reader in my desktop but I also have a USB
    card reader.

    I very rarely hook my D100 to my computer.

    Andrew Guest

  3. #3

    In article <NM0Sa.8766$gnilink.net>,
    "Infocus" <net> wrote:

    "Is this a basic USB cable?" You must be joking, right? Firewire is so
    much better than USB, less load on CPU, faster (Firewire 400 and 800
    mbps, when USB2 barely cought up with Firewire 400). Also you don't need
    a "host" (computer) for certain FireWire devices to talk to each other.
    Try that with USB! Firewire cable can carry more power than USB. USB has
    only one advantage: a few cents ceaper (not very much).

    So what is your problem? it doesn't work? do you have a FireWire port
    (or IEEE1394, or iLink as some like to call it) on your computer?
    chibitul Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 01:02:37 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Infocus"
    <net> wrote:

    No, it's Firewire aka IEEE-1394.

    From the D1X manual:
    Your Nikon digital camera is equipped with an IEEE 1394 interface for
    connection to a computer. With Nikon View 4 installed on your computer, you
    can view photographs on the computer monitor or copy them to disk. Using
    Nikon Capture 2 camera control software, you can adjust camera settings
    remotely and prepare photographs for printing or use in a commercial
    production work-flow.

    Before You Begin
    Before connecting the camera to a computer:
    • Be sure that you have completed installation of the necessary software
    and have read the software manuals thoroughly
    • Check that your system satisfies the requirements listed in the software
    manuals
    • Turn the camera off and ensure that a battery is inserted or the camera
    connected to an AC adapter
    To ensure a continuous supply of power while the camera is connected, we
    recommend that you use an AC adapter (available separately).

    Connecting the Camera to a Computer
    1When connecting the camera to a computer via the IEEE 1394 interface, use
    an IEEE 1394 cable (available separately). Open the cover protecting the
    camera’s IEEE 1394 connector and connect the devices as shown below.

    CONNECTING TO A COMPUTER
    For information on connecting IEEE 1394 devices, see the doentation
    provided with your computer or IEEE 1394 expansion board or card. IEEE 1394
    devices can be connected or disconnected when the computer and the device
    are still on (so-called “hot plug” or “hot connect/disconnect”) without the
    need to turn off either device or restar t the computer system.

    CONNECTING TO A COMPUTER
    2To allow data to be transferred between the computer
    and the camera, turn the camera mode dial to PC. The computer will not
    recognize the camera if the mode dial is set to any other position.
    Note that the “hot plug” support provided by the IEEE 1394 interface makes
    it possible to reverse steps 1 and 2 by turning the camera on and setting
    the mode dial to PC before connecting the device to the computer.
    If the camera is properly connected and Nikon Capture 2 is running, the
    control panel on top of the camera will show PC (PC is not displayed when
    Nikon View 4 is used). If the mode dial is set to PC and the camera is not
    connected to a computer, or if it is connected when neither Nikon View 4
    nor Nikon Capture 2 is running, the camera will function as in single-frame
    or continuous mode, the only difference being that the shooting mode
    (single-frame or continuous) is selected using Custom Setting 30 (PC
    Shooting Mode).
    3To terminate the connection between the camera and computer, exit Nikon
    View 4 or Nikon Capture 2 and turn the camera mode dial to another setting.
    If you are using Nikon Capture 2, wait until PC is no longer displayed in
    the control panel before disconnecting the cable.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 (net)
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam
    Ed Guest