Professional Web Applications Themes

Firefox 3.0 and Contribute - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

It's November now. What are the chances of Toolbar support for Firefox now?...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Firefox 3.0 and Contribute

    It's November now. What are the chances of Toolbar support for Firefox now?
    kathydavie Guest

  2. #2

    The simplest solution is to make the existing toolbar compatible.

    You can do this either by ignoring compatibility issues in Forefox 3 via the
    page about:config or better just force the Adobe toolbar to be compatible.

    In my version of Firefox 3 I can do this in the Add-ons page by right click
    and selecting Make Compatible. I am not sure if this is a standard feature or
    part of an Add-on I use (if you can't see it try installing the addon from
    http://www.mrtech.com/extensions/local_install/index.html)

    Seems to work for me.

    I think it is disgusting that Adobe's only solution is to suggest paying for a
    totally unnecessary upgrade to CS4!

    CarolHaynes Guest

  3. #3

    I tried creating a ?extensions.checkCompatibility? boolean field in the Firefox
    about:config and set it to false, the toolbar becomes enabled but it doesn?t
    work.
    Are you able to make it work? Can please send me the detailed steps.

    Akhilesh Guest

  4. #4

    Did you enable the toolbar after setting the boolean value to false?

    It works for me.
    CarolHaynes Guest

  5. #5

    I tried MR Tech Toolkit as suggested by CarolHaynes and it works for me. I
    guess we have to deal with imperfect solution for Contribute to work with
    Firefox 3.0.

    Lets hope Adobe Contribute Team thinks logically and release an update for
    Firefox extension. Otherwise, I might as well go for a competing software in
    future to manage my website.

    Salil.A Guest

  6. #6

    Contribute Users,
    An update has been released to support Contribute plugin in Firefox 3 on Mac.
    Please go to Help->Updates and install the same. For more details please go to
    http://www.adobe.com/go/kb407794.

    Thanks,
    Manoj
    [Contribute Team]

    m Guest

  7. #7

    The page you list does not exist. Even if it did it would only help Mac users.

    I don't understand why you cannot release the existing version of the Windows
    Firefox 3 addon - it takes less than 5 minutes to sort out since all you have
    to dd is edit a single text file in the exisitng addon for version 2 and change
    the upper limit on the range of Firefox versions supported.

    The version 2 addon works fine in version 3 the difficulty is getting it
    installed!

    I already posted one workaround above.

    If you are fed up and can't be bothered with my original workaround here is
    how to do it:

    Go to the folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Contribute
    CS3\SupportFiles\FirefoxExtension

    You will find a file called contribute_toolbar.xpi

    Rename the file from 'contribute_toolbar.xpi'.to 'old_contribute_toolbar.zip'
    and then unpack the zip file to a folder. (If you can't see the xpi extension
    go to the control panel, in classic mode, and find folder options, hit the View
    tab and make sure 'Hide extensions for known file types' is unticked and then
    click OK)

    Open the folder you unpacked to and find the file called install.rdf

    Right click/Properties on the file and untick 'read only', press OK

    Open Notepad and drag this file onto notepad. On the 22nd line change the
    version number from 2.9 to 3.9 (or whatever value you fee comfortable cahnging
    it to).

    Hit File > Save then close Notepad

    Right click/Properties on the file and untick 'read only', press OK

    Now you need to pack the whole folder back up into a zip file (use hatever
    tool you would normally use or in the folder background right click / New / Zip
    file and follow the wizard.

    Give the new zip file the name 'contribute_toolbar.zip' and then rename it to
    'contribute_toolbar.xpi'

    Now you can install the toolbar in Firefox 3. Unfortunately Adobe have ed
    this up too so if you try and run the install file in the same folder it
    doesn't work. Instead open Firefox and then go to File / Open ... Navigate to
    C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Contribute CS3\SupportFiles\FirefoxExtension and
    open the XPI file you just made.

    You will get a warning that it is not signed but that is OK. Allow it to
    install and then restart firefox.

    Voila you have the contribute toolbar.

    There is one twist however - because we manually install the toolbar when you
    first use it Adobe Contribute asks do you want to install the Firefox toolbar -
    just cancel that wind and it should work fine form then on.

    Backup your new XPI somewhere in case you need to reinstall it some time.

    CarolHaynes Guest

  8. #8

    Sorry for the typos ...
    CarolHaynes Guest

  9. #9

    Sorry for the "." in the last which made the link incorrect. The correct link is http://www.adobe.com/go/kb407794

    m Guest

  10. #10

    The best suggestion would be to use the oldest version of Firefox that do support the extention

    http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=firefox
    Kristina Guest