Professional Web Applications Themes

firefox share profile in freebsd and windows! - FreeBSD

Perhaps this is not proper site to place this question,but i just meet this problem! I want to share my firefox 1.0.1 profile in windows xp and freebsd 5.3,i can run with:firefox -safe-mode,it will freeze when i use:firefox,obviousely,it's because of the extensions.When you setup extensions in windows xp,firefox can't start in freebsd,when you setup extensions in freebsd,firefox can't start in windows!Why?How to resovle it?...

  1. #1

    Default firefox share profile in freebsd and windows!

    Perhaps this is not proper site to place this question,but i just meet
    this problem!

    I want to share my firefox 1.0.1 profile in windows xp and freebsd 5.3,i
    can run with:firefox -safe-mode,it will freeze when i
    use:firefox,obviousely,it's because of the extensions.When you setup
    extensions in windows xp,firefox can't start in freebsd,when you setup
    extensions in freebsd,firefox can't start in windows!Why?How to resovle it?

    heccj Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: firefox share profile in freebsd and windows!

    Why? Because Windows XP and FreeBSD are completely different operating
    systems. Their binaries are not compatible.

    If you can figure out how to keep the extensions directories separate
    while keeping the rest of the preferences the same it should work.

    At the worst, you could export your bookmarks from one and import them
    into the other. Then you would just have to go through the preferences and
    make sure the settings are the same otherwise.

    --
    Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org

    Ean Guest

  3. #3

    Ean Kingston wrote:

    I have been using Amazon's a9.com which has a browser bar for Firefox
    that facilitates storing bookmarks on a9.com. This way, I can do
    bookmarks on my FreeBSD Firefox, and pull them up on my Windows Firefox,
    or any computer if I visit their site. There are probably other "server
    side bookmarks" services out there. The a9 makes it a little nicer with
    the toolbar thingus, plus it wraps around Google's search engine,
    Amazon's products search engine, and Amazon.com will give you a modest
    discount for helping test out their wonky new feature. (The bookmark
    management is a little weird, because it is implemented as a web interface.)

    As far as duplicating profiles, I'm with Ean in figuring that trying to
    get the profiles to work on two utterly different platforms sounds like
    more trouble than it would likely be worth. I know that in the old days
    the Netscape folks were keen on a project to store metadata in an LDAP
    server ... perhaps the Mozilla foundation has some similar fetish, but
    you would be better off asking the Mozilla folks, who are all about
    cross-platform magic.

    -danny
    Danny Guest

  4. #4

    Ean Kingston said the following on 03/15/05 02:43:

    > Why? Because Windows XP and FreeBSD are completely different operating
    > systems. Their binaries are not compatible.
    >

    > If you can figure out how to keep the extensions directories separate
    > while keeping the rest of the preferences the same it should work.
    >
    > At the worst, you could export your bookmarks from one and import them
    > into the other. Then you would just have to go through the preferences and
    > make sure the settings are the same otherwise.
    >[/ref]
    The bookmarks and history or other data can share correctly,just
    extesions!Some extensions can setup into the firefox program dir in
    windows(can in freebsd?),but most just setup into the profile extesions
    dir.If all the extension can select setup dir at setup time,perhaps this
    problem can be resolved.

    heccj Guest

  5. #5

    On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 09:55:23 +0800, heccj <com> wrote:

    > > Why? Because Windows XP and FreeBSD are completely different operating
    > > systems. Their binaries are not compatible.
    > >

    > > If you can figure out how to keep the extensions directories separate
    > > while keeping the rest of the preferences the same it should work.
    > >
    > > At the worst, you could export your bookmarks from one and import them
    > > into the other. Then you would just have to go through the preferences and
    > > make sure the settings are the same otherwise.
    > >[/ref]
    > The bookmarks and history or other data can share correctly,just
    > extesions!Some extensions can setup into the firefox program dir in
    > windows(can in freebsd?),but most just setup into the profile extesions
    > dir.If all the extension can select setup dir at setup time,perhaps this
    > problem can be resolved.
    >[/ref]

    Hmm, I was under the impression that extensions for firefox were
    generally written in javascript? Some extensions might prove to be a
    little incompatible. I would start in safe mode. Remove all
    extensions and reinstall the latest copy of them again. Make sure
    when you do this that you have checked they are actually compatible
    with all OS and not just Windows and are for the correct version of
    your browser. If this still fails create a new profile and see if you
    can get that working. Remember to backup your bookmarks. :)

    Good Luck
    Chris
    Chris Guest

  6. #6

    On March 14, 2005 08:55 pm, heccj wrote:

    > > Why? Because Windows XP and FreeBSD are completely different operating
    > > systems. Their binaries are not compatible.
    > >

    > > If you can figure out how to keep the extensions directories separate
    > > while keeping the rest of the preferences the same it should work.
    > >
    > > At the worst, you could export your bookmarks from one and import them
    > > into the other. Then you would just have to go through the preferences
    > > and make sure the settings are the same otherwise.[/ref]
    >
    > The bookmarks and history or other data can share correctly,[/ref]
    Good.

    I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

    I believe you can simply move the extension to the global extensions directory
    and restart Firefox.

    If you try it, make a note of which extensions you moved because you might
    have to move them back.

    --
    Ean Kingston

    E-Mail: ean AT hedron DOT org
    Ean Guest

  7. #7

    Ean Kingston said the following on 03/15/05 11:01:

    >>The bookmarks and history or other data can share correctly,[/ref]
    >
    > Good.

    > I'm not sure what you are trying to say.[/ref]
    just extensions can't work correctly.If all the extension can setup at
    firefox main direcotory,this is not a problem,i can setup in windows
    and freebsd individually.Unfortunetly,only seral extension can setup
    like that!

    > I believe you can simply move the extension to the global extensions directory
    > and restart Firefox.[/ref]
    I have tried,if the extesions at profile directory are moved into
    firefox's main directory,firefox can not find this extensions at all.

    >[/ref]

    heccj Guest

  8. #8

    >> Good.
    >>

    >> I'm not sure what you are trying to say.[/ref]
    > just extensions can't work correctly.If all the extension can setup at
    > firefox main direcotory,this is not a problem,i can setup in windows
    > and freebsd individually.Unfortunetly,only seral extension can setup
    > like that![/ref]

    You might have to start messing around in the firefox
    configuration/property files to get that to work. Unfortunately, that is
    beyond my capabilities. I think they are all text files so you should be
    able to edit them with vi.

    >> I believe you can simply move the extension to the global extensions
    >> directory
    >> and restart Firefox.[/ref]
    > I have tried,if the extesions at profile directory are moved into
    > firefox's main directory,firefox can not find this extensions at all.
    >>
    >>[/ref]

    > "org"

    Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org