Professional Web Applications Themes

Firefox won't start - FreeBSD

Hi I just installed FreeBSD 5.4RC, everything works so fine. Just firefox won't work (running xfce), neither the package nor the port. I can only start it as root, under a normal user nothing happens at all. /usr/X11R6/bin/firefox quits after a second and no firefox. How can I fix this? Thanks. -- Fridtjof Busse "Endorsing products is the American way of expressing individuality." -Calvin...

  1. #1

    Default Firefox won't start

    --
    Fridtjof Busse
    "Endorsing products is the American way of expressing individuality."
    -Calvin
    Fridtjof Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Firefox won't start

    On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 12:32, Fridtjof Busse wrote:

    At a guess, you may have created some configuration files owned by root
    the first time you started it. Try hunting them down and deleting them,
    and start firefox from a user account again.

    Also try running firefox from a command line in an xterm, if you haven't
    already done so, and see if there are any helpful error messages.

    Mike Guest

  3. #3

    * Mike Jeays <com>:

    > At a guess, you may have created some configuration files owned by
    > root the first time you started it. Try hunting them down and
    > deleting them, and start firefox from a user account again.[/ref]

    At first run, I tried to start firefox under the local user of course.
    When that wouldn't work , I searched Google and found an old bug about
    similiar behavior that suggested running firefox as root the first
    time. Didn't help, so I'm stuck since it's uite some time I used
    FreeBSD.

    I'm starting it from commandline. It doesn't print any errors and exits
    after a second.
    Under root, it starts and gives me debugging messages.

    --
    Fridtjof Busse
    BOFH Excuse #122:

    because Bill Gates is a Jehovah's witness and so nothing can work on
    St. Swithin's day.
    Fridtjof Guest

  4. #4

    Fridtjof Busse wrote:

    >>At a guess, you may have created some configuration files owned by
    >>root the first time you started it. Try hunting them down and
    >>deleting them, and start firefox from a user account again.
    >>
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >At first run, I tried to start firefox under the local user of course.
    >When that wouldn't work , I searched Google and found an old bug about
    >similiar behavior that suggested running firefox as root the first
    >time. Didn't help, so I'm stuck since it's uite some time I used
    >FreeBSD.
    >

    >I'm starting it from commandline. It doesn't print any errors and exits
    >after a second.
    >Under root, it starts and gives me debugging messages.
    >

    >[/ref]
    Does it do a core dump? What options did you use to compile? Are your
    dependancies out of date? There was just a big gnome update, see
    freebsd.org/gnome for an update script.
    jason Guest

  5. #5

    * jason henson <rr.com>:

    > Does it do a core dump? What options did you use to compile? Are
    > your dependancies out of date? There was just a big gnome update,
    > see freebsd.org/gnome for an update script.[/ref]

    It's a fresh 5.4RC installation, so I doubt there's anything out of
    date.
    Package behaves the same as the port (I cimpiled after the package
    wouldn't work, no special options).
    I simply run firefox, nothing happens:
    $ which firefox
    /usr/X11R6/bin/firefox
    $ firefox
    $
    No window, no process, nothing.

    But:
    /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/firefox-bin also exits, complaining about missing
    libmozjs.so (ldd show me that the library is in fact not found).
    libmozjs.so exists: /usr/X11R6/lib/firefox/libmozjs.so
    But why does it work as root then (running the firefox-script, not
    firefox-bin directly)?

    --
    Fridtjof Busse
    Fry: "Hey, you guys, the most amazing thing happened, it's two-for-one

  6. #6

    * Fridtjof Busse <de> [2005-04-08 18:32:49 +0200]:

    Had same problem under 5.3. Tracked it down to permissions problems when
    I gave root a new shell (with umask 077 instead of 022).

    Run find on /usr and see if there are any files/dirs with perms of
    600/700 that look like they should be public. (I believe in my case it
    was some gconf dirs.)

    hth,
    Thomas

    --
    N.J. Thomas
    org

  7. #7

    * "N.J. Thomas" <org>:

    > Had same problem under 5.3. Tracked it down to permissions problems
    > when I gave root a new shell (with umask 077 instead of 022).
    >
    > Run find on /usr and see if there are any files/dirs with perms of
    > 600/700 that look like they should be public. (I believe in my case it
    > was some gconf dirs.)[/ref]

    I'll look into this, thanks.
    But how can a package have wrong permissions?
    I installed the port (after deleting everything 'pkg_add -r
    firefox' installed) after I noticed the package didn't work.

    --
    Fridtjof Busse
    "Laura and I really don't realize how bright our children is sometimes

    George W. Bush
    April 15, 2000
    Comment made on NBC's Meet the Press.
    Fridtjof Guest

  8. #8

    * "N.J. Thomas" <org>:

    > Had same problem under 5.3. Tracked it down to permissions problems
    > when I gave root a new shell (with umask 077 instead of 022).
    >
    > Run find on /usr and see if there are any files/dirs with perms of
    > 600/700 that look like they should be public. (I believe in my case it
    > was some gconf dirs.)[/ref]

    Nope, 'find /usr -perm 700' and 'find /usr -perm 600' show up nothing
    unusual. Just three files from xdm.
    Still no firefox :(

    --
    Fridtjof Busse
    "Some things don't need the thought people give them." -Hobbes

  9. #9

    On Saturday 09 April 2005 11:15, Fridtjof Busse wrote:

    > > Had same problem under 5.3. Tracked it down to permissions problems
    > > when I gave root a new shell (with umask 077 instead of 022).
    > >
    > > Run find on /usr and see if there are any files/dirs with perms of
    > > 600/700 that look like they should be public. (I believe in my case it
    > > was some gconf dirs.)[/ref]
    >
    > Nope, 'find /usr -perm 700' and 'find /usr -perm 600' show up nothing
    > unusual. Just three files from xdm.
    > Still no firefox :([/ref]

    I'd suggest you to run firefox under gdb or with truss. So far I had quite a
    few programs not starting up properly and in many cases it would exit just
    after accessing a file and then you know where to look. Or it gets a signal.

    Daniela

    --
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

    Daniela Guest