    Removed by Administrator
    Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. #3

    Default firewall

    sir,
    Even thorugh, my system is firewalled in LAN and having
    installed Norton Antivirus 2003, my system is infecting
    by virus from remote systems..

    please provide me info on protecting my
    system and perfect firewalling... the system.

    request early reply ..
    with regards
    sreeharihara Guest

  4. #4

    please explain how to activate my firewall that is in the
    windows xp programme.
    larraine Guest

  5. #5

    go to start then my network places then to view nework
    network connections then right click and go to
    properties on your connection and then to advanced and
    you should be able to check it.

    sjbibb Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: firewall

    Greetings --

    To enable/disable the built-in firewall, Start > Network
    Connections > Right-click the connection > Properties > Advanced >
    Protect my computer.....

    HOW TO Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
    [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283673[/url]

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    [url]http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm[/url]
    [url]http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html[/url]
    ----
    having both at once. -- RAH

    "larraine" <larrainechapmanihug.co.nz> wrote in message
    > please explain how to activate my firewall that is in the
    > windows xp programme.

    Bruce Chambers Guest

  7. #7

    Can anyone reccomend a good firewall program? What do I
    need for my computer?
    joe Guest

  8. #8

    Greetings --

    WinXP's built-in firewall is fine at stopping incoming attacks, and
    hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any alarms to tell
    you that it is working, though. What WinXP also does not do, is
    protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you might download and
    install inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all,
    much less block (or at least ask you about) the bad or the
    questionable out-going packets.

    ZoneAlarm or Sygate are much better, and there are a free versions
    available. Personally, I've been very happy with Symantec's Norton
    Internet Security 2002 (NIS 2003 is now available), which includes
    Norton AntiVirus, Norton Personal Firewall, parental controls, privacy
    controls, and ad blocking. (Just the elimination of most pop-up ads
    on the Internet made the price worth-while to me.)

    You can compare several firewall solutions, some of them free,
    here:

    The DSL Zone Your Broadband Solution Source
    [url]http://thedslzone.com/Software.html[/url]

    "joe" <jsbjkworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > Can anyone reccomend a good firewall program? What do I
    > need for my computer?

    Bruce Chambers Guest

  9. #9

    I have Windows XP Home and just installed Norton
    Antivirus and Norton Internet Security

    My problems is that in order to access computers in my
    home network, I have to shut off Norton firewall. For
    some reason I can't get the Norton wizard to create the
    Trusted Zone. I have cable internet and a Linksys Router
    which have worked perfectly well.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks, Jack
    Jack Guest

  10. #10

    Are you using DHCP with your router, or are you assigning static IPs to each
    PC on the LAN. If you use DHCP, there is a range of IPs that your lan will
    use (e.g. 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.255). Add this range to the trusted zone.
    If you use static IPs, you must either assign each IP to the trusted zone or
    if they all fall under a certain range, add that range to the trusted zone.

    "Jack" <jmillstownisp.com> wrote in message
    > I have Windows XP Home and just installed Norton
    > Antivirus and Norton Internet Security
    >
    > My problems is that in order to access computers in my
    > home network, I have to shut off Norton firewall. For
    > some reason I can't get the Norton wizard to create the
    > Trusted Zone. I have cable internet and a Linksys Router
    > which have worked perfectly well.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks, Jack

    Guest

  11. #11

    You gain security. You may have some applications that
    will no longer work. Such applications would be
    applications which use the network.

    I don't know about the built-in firewall, but with
    commercial add-on products, you can enable or disable
    particular TCP/IP ports, and hence enable or disable
    particular applications.

    But my question is, how did you turn the firewall on, and
    is there a way with the builtin firewall to enable or
    disable particular ports? My problem is that the builtin
    firewall appears to be on, and it is preventing the
    McAfee Firewall from running. When I try to turn off the
    built-in firewall off, I follow to directions in the Help
    system but I get to a point where the directions don't
    match what's on the screen, and I can't get to the place
    where I could turn on or off the built-in firewall. You
    obviously succeeded in turning on the firewall. How did
    you do it?

    Jerry Bryan

    Jerry Bryan Guest

  12. #12

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "GE Aquilon" <net> wrote in message

    Bruce Guest

  13. #13

    how do you turn on Microsoft's firewall?
    carole Guest

  14. #14

    Carole;
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283673

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    An easier way to read newsgroup messages:

    "carole" <com> wrote in message

    Jupiter Guest

  15. #15

    Hi ive got windows XP home edition for my home computer
    and tried to set up a firewall using network
    connections. It will not allow my to go on th properties
    or change the connection to set it up saying you have to
    be the adminitrator to do this. Does this mean i havent
    got my computer set up right or that i cant download it?
    Please help!

    jenny Guest

  16. #16

    Are you logged in as administrator or with admin-equivalent rights?

    Lanwench Guest

  17. #17

    When I try to enable the firewall I get the error
    messge:1068 the dependency service or group failed to
    start... how can i fix it?
    Christy Guest

  18. #18

    What's in your system event logs?

    Lanwench Guest

  19. #19

    My computer was hit with Blaster worm. I'm using ETrust
    antivirus. Per ETrust instructions, I applied the XP
    patch, enabled Microsoft Firewall, reran their scan and
    deleted user.dmp from User subfolder. Now my computer
    moves at a snails pace. Suggestions? Help?!
    chris Guest

  20. #20

    Maybe, maybe not. The one built in to XP is very rudimentary, just
    providing the basics. 3rd-party products such as Black Ice provide more
    option and greater protection.

    Randall Arnold

    "tonytools767" <com> wrote in message

    Randall Guest