Professional Web Applications Themes

Firewall questions - FreeBSD

I have been looking for a great firewall, something not too technical, since I have only been using FreeBSD for two months now. I have FreeBSD-4.8 installed, Apache-1.3, and Netqmail-1.05. I am also planning on running an NTP time server and possibly a forum in the future. The web site is expected to become a well-recognized site, so that complicates matters. More attention to the site means more attacks. Also, I am looking for antiviral protection for both the FreeBSD server, and any Windows or Macintosh systems that may be using the POP mail. I know qmail has one solution, ...

  1. #1

    Default Firewall questions

    I have been looking for a great firewall, something
    not too technical, since I have only been using
    FreeBSD for two months now.

    I have FreeBSD-4.8 installed, Apache-1.3, and
    Netqmail-1.05. I am also planning on running an NTP
    time server and possibly a forum in the future. The
    web site is expected to become a well-recognized site,
    so that complicates matters. More attention to the
    site means more attacks.

    Also, I am looking for antiviral protection for both
    the FreeBSD server, and any Windows or Macintosh
    systems that may be using the POP mail. I know qmail
    has one solution, which was contributed by a qmail
    user, but what are the alternatives?

    Any suggestions as to what firewall would provide me
    with the best protection, while not being overly too
    complicated?

    All help is greatly appreciated.

    Shawn Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Firewall questions

    If it's a firewall you might want to upgrade to the latest in the series
    you are using (4.11). There may be security holes in 4.8 by now.

    There are very few anti-virus packages for FreeBSD. AFAIK there are no
    viruses that target FreeBSD. There are a few that target x86 hardware but
    these don't propagate over the 'net.

    Have a look at amavis (it's in the ports collection). I've never used it
    but it's been mentioned a number of times on various lists.

    Also, F-Prot (www.f-prot.com) provides an AV product for FreeBSD (NetBSD,
    and OpenBSD too). They even have a mail scanner product. I used the file
    scanner for a while but stopped the last time I upgraded the OS.

    For simplicity, get one of the Firewall Router devices and stick your
    FreeBSD system behind it. Most have a web interface to manage them. Just
    make sure you get the Firewall model and not the Router with NAT model.
    Unless you get lucky, the guy a Best Buy (or whereever) won't have a clue
    about the differences and will not be able to help even if he thinks he is
    helping. You need to do your research on this.

    On FreeBSD you have a choice of IPFW, IPF, and PF. IPFW is FreeBSD only,
    IPF runs on many OSes (but not Linux), and PF is a port of the OpenBSD
    firewall. All are included with the FreeBSD distribution but require a
    kernel recomple (it's explained in the handbook and isn't nearly as scary
    as it sounds). All are about a complicated to configure/manage.

    --
    Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org

    Ean Guest

  3. #3

    Well, I suggest PF from openbsd
    ok, it's really simple, and it exist a good page on freebsd to learn how it works

    ok see ya

    Le Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 03:47:10PM -0500, Shawn B a écrit:

    --
    Vincent Bachelier <fr>
    Language : Francais / English

    Citation (fortune):

    How long a minute is depends on which side of the bathroom door you're
    on.
    Bachelier Guest

  4. #4

    http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/fbsd_installguide/index.php

    This install guide covers both of the 2 firewalls that come built in
    to FreeBSD for all 4.x release. Software firewalls are heads and
    shoulders above hardware firewalls which can not do stateful type of
    protection.
    I recommend ipfilter over ipfw as it so much easier to use and is
    supported be its own open source development team. Its been stable
    for a long time while ipfw is FreeBSD developed and has been
    rewritten between 4.8 and 5.3

    Firewalls only protect your private network and not email content
    for various.

  5. #5

    You might want to check your sources again. My Linksys hardware firewalls
    do a good job of providing statefull packet inspection.

    --
    Ean Kingston
    E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org

    Ean Guest

  6. #6

    On Wednesday 23 March 2005 21:03, Ean Kingston wrote:

    > There are very few anti-virus packages for FreeBSD. AFAIK there are no
    > viruses that target FreeBSD. There are a few that target x86 hardware but
    > these don't propagate over the 'net.[/ref]

    Clamav is supposed to be good for filtering windows viruses out of email. I
    know Fastmail.fm dropped Kaspersky in favour of Clamav, they claimed the
    updates to be at least as good.
    RW Guest

  7. #7

    --On Wednesday, March 23, 2005 09:45:56 PM +0000 RW
    <sent.com> wrote:
    We did some pretty thorough testing of Clamav, uvscan (McAfee) and sophie
    (Sophos) side by side on a mail gateway using amavisd.

    Clamav was *almost* as good as McAfee and definitely better than Sophos at
    detecting viruses. Clamav beat uvscan hands down on cpu usage and
    detection of Phishing scams.

    Here's our latest stats - clamav is primary. uvscan only gets used if
    clamav doesn't detect a virus.

    These statistics represent data from 2005-03-01 to yesterday
    Total detections - 7369
    Total phishing scams - 7080
    Total viruses - 289
    Total McAfee - 23
    Total ClamAV - 266

    The last two lines are *unique* detections. Basically what it means is
    that clamav missed 23 viruses that uvscan subsequently caught. So clamav
    has a 92.04% virus detection rate so far for the month. (Updates are
    fetched and installed automatically for both scanners.)

    When I was keeping separate stats on each, clamav ran about a half a
    percent behind uvscan and sophie *never* had an independent detection. It
    also had a much lower detection rate. (E.g. clamav 94.6, uvscan 95.3,
    sophie 91.8)

    Paul Schmehl (edu)
    Adjunct Information Security Officer
    The University of Texas at Dallas
    AVIEN Founding Member
    http://www.utdallas.edu
    Paul Guest

  8. #8

    Only a little note about the comment:

    "On FreeBSD you have a choice of IPFW, IPF, and PF. IPFW is FreeBSD only,
    IPF runs on many OSes (but not Linux),"

    Since i have been reading the Ipfilter maillist, you can see that Ipfilter now
    runs on Linux too. This is only information. Greetings.

    On Mar 23, 2005 1:03 PM, Ean Kingston <org> wrote: [/ref]

    > If it's a firewall you might want to upgrade to the latest in the series
    > you are using (4.11). There may be security holes in 4.8 by now.

    > There are very few anti-virus packages for FreeBSD. AFAIK there are no
    > viruses that target FreeBSD. There are a few that target x86 hardware but
    > these don't propagate over the 'net.
    >
    > Have a look at amavis (it's in the ports collection). I've never used it
    > but it's been mentioned a number of times on various lists.
    >
    > Also, F-Prot (www.f-prot.com <http://www.f-prot.com>) provides an AV[/ref]
    product for FreeBSD (NetBSD,

    > For simplicity, get one of the Firewall Router devices and stick your
    > FreeBSD system behind it. Most have a web interface to manage them. Just
    > make sure you get the Firewall model and not the Router with NAT model.
    > Unless you get lucky, the guy a Best Buy (or whereever) won't have a clue
    > about the differences and will not be able to help even if he thinks he is
    > helping. You need to do your research on this.
    >
    > On FreeBSD you have a choice of IPFW, IPF, and PF. IPFW is FreeBSD only,
    > IPF runs on many OSes (but not Linux), and PF is a port of the OpenBSD
    > firewall. All are included with the FreeBSD distribution but require a
    > kernel recomple (it's explained in the handbook and isn't nearly as scary
    > as it sounds). All are about a complicated to configure/manage.
    >
    > --
    > Ean Kingston
    > E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org
    > PGP KeyID: 1024D/CBC5D6BB

    org"
    perikillo Guest

  9. #9

    Wow, I stand corrected. The last time I talked to Darren (years ago) he
    said IPFilter would never run on Linux. I guess the Linux folks fixed
    whatever was vexing him about their architecture.
     [/ref]

    >> If it's a firewall you might want to upgrade to the latest in the series
    >> you are using (4.11). There may be security holes in 4.8 by now.
    >>

    >> There are very few anti-virus packages for FreeBSD. AFAIK there are no
    >> viruses that target FreeBSD. There are a few that target x86 hardware
    >> but
    >> these don't propagate over the 'net.
    >>
    >> Have a look at amavis (it's in the ports collection). I've never used it
    >> but it's been mentioned a number of times on various lists.
    >>
    >> Also, F-Prot (www.f-prot.com <http://www.f-prot.com>) provides an AV[/ref]
    > product for FreeBSD (NetBSD,
    >>
    >> For simplicity, get one of the Firewall Router devices and stick your
    >> FreeBSD system behind it. Most have a web interface to manage them. Just
    >> make sure you get the Firewall model and not the Router with NAT model.
    >> Unless you get lucky, the guy a Best Buy (or whereever) won't have a
    >> clue
    >> about the differences and will not be able to help even if he thinks he
    >> is
    >> helping. You need to do your research on this.
    >>
    >> On FreeBSD you have a choice of IPFW, IPF, and PF. IPFW is FreeBSD only,
    >> IPF runs on many OSes (but not Linux), and PF is a port of the OpenBSD
    >> firewall. All are included with the FreeBSD distribution but require a
    >> kernel recomple (it's explained in the handbook and isn't nearly as
    >> scary
    >> as it sounds). All are about a complicated to configure/manage.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ean Kingston
    >> E-Mail: ean_AT_hedron_DOT_org
    >> PGP KeyID: 1024D/CBC5D6BB