Professional Web Applications Themes

Firewire disk not recognised - Mac Portable

Has any body else experienced this problem or know how to fix it? I'm using a 500 MHz white iBook (dual USB). I have a new SmartDisk FireWire hard disk which does not show up on the desktop or appear in Disk Utility or Apple System Profile ("no devices detected"). I tried it with a second FireWire disk (which used to work), and still no luck -- then I tried this same disk in another Mac, and it didn't work there either! Two faulty disks and two faulty Macs seem equally unlikely, but possible I suppose. But is there anything ...

  1. #1

    Default Firewire disk not recognised

    Has any body else experienced this problem or know how to fix it?

    I'm using a 500 MHz white iBook (dual USB). I have a new SmartDisk
    FireWire hard disk which does not show up on the desktop or appear in
    Disk Utility or Apple System Profile ("no devices detected"). I tried
    it with a second FireWire disk (which used to work), and still no luck
    -- then I tried this same disk in another Mac, and it didn't work there
    either! Two faulty disks and two faulty Macs seem equally unlikely, but
    possible I suppose. But is there anything I can try to get these disks
    working?

    Thanks in advance.

    John
    John Croft Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Firewire disk not recognised

    John Croft wrote:
    > Has any body else experienced this problem or know how to fix it?
    maybe something similar.

    I recently got a external hard disk case with Firewire and USB2
    connectors, put my ex-internal 10GB disk in it and connected it to my
    iBook (same as yours). The disk showed up and I could copy some stuff.
    Then suddenly, it disappeared and since then I couldn't use it with
    Firewire anymore, it would never mount or even be detected. Using the
    USB connector, it worked.
    The case has an Oxford 911 chipset. Sent it back to the dealer, who
    supposedly got it working (not sure if he really tried it with
    firewire). No resolve yet.

    Dennis

    Dennis Luemkemann Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bds40v$108il7$1ID-34660.news.dfncis.de>, Dennis Luemkemann
    <dennis.luemkemanngmx.de> wrote:
    > John Croft wrote:
    > > Has any body else experienced this problem or know how to fix it?
    >
    > maybe something similar.
    >
    > I recently got a external hard disk case with Firewire and USB2
    > connectors, put my ex-internal 10GB disk in it and connected it to my
    > iBook (same as yours). The disk showed up and I could copy some stuff.
    > Then suddenly, it disappeared and since then I couldn't use it with
    > Firewire anymore, it would never mount or even be detected. Using the
    > USB connector, it worked.
    I did some research and discovered that a faulty cable or drive can fry
    your FireWire port -- this is what has happened to mine. Actually, the
    FW chip is on the logic board, so to get FireWire going again I would
    have to have that replaced, which all up would be over 400 -- not
    really worth it for my old iBook.

    Seems like a slightly deficient technology, if one faulty cable can
    cook your logic board...I hope this isn't the case with yours.

    John
    John Croft Guest

  4. #4

    John Croft <j.croftsus.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<010720031818387172%j.croftsus.ac.uk>...

    > I did some research and discovered that a faulty cable or drive can fry
    > your FireWire port -- this is what has happened to mine. Actually, the
    > FW chip is on the logic board, so to get FireWire going again I would
    External connects like this are usually linked to the rest of the
    circuit through surface-mounted chokes. It is *likely* (though not
    certain by any means) that it is simply these chokes that have been
    burned out. At a pinch you could replace them with a wire link.
    Pullup/pulldown resistors on those lines might also be open-circuit.

    If the FireWire host adapter IC is fried, then of course you're in a
    bad situation, but it's a better than even chance that it's a simple
    passive component(s) that's dead.
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards Guest

  5. #5

    In article <608b6569.0307011306.5ff38d43posting.google.com >, Lewin
    A.R.W. Edwards <larwelarwe.com> wrote:
    > John Croft <j.croftsus.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I did some research and discovered that a faulty cable or drive can fry
    > > your FireWire port -- this is what has happened to mine. Actually, the
    > > FW chip is on the logic board, so to get FireWire going again I would

    > If the FireWire host adapter IC is fried, then of course you're in a
    > bad situation, but it's a better than even chance that it's a simple
    > passive component(s) that's dead.
    Could you tell me more about this? (Privately if you prefer.) I have
    surveyed dozens of sites and forums online, all of which detail PHY
    failures, which necessitates replacement of the motherboard.
    Particularaly informative is:

    [url]http://www.wiebetech.com/pressreleases/FireWirePortFailures.htm[/url]

    Nobody has suggested that it might be the less serious problem that you
    describe -- however, if you know how I could test whether this is the
    case, I'd be interested to know (I have little technical knowledge).

    Thanks

    John
    John Croft Guest

  6. #6

    On Wed, 2 Jul 2003 0:48:04 +0100, John Croft wrote
    (in message <020720030048048619%j.croftsus.ac.uk>):
    > Nobody has suggested that it might be the less serious problem that you
    > describe -- however, if you know how I could test whether this is the
    > case, I'd be interested to know (I have little technical knowledge).
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John
    John,

    Don't automatically assume that the problem is this fatal!
    In your initial post you mentioned that the same thing was happening on 2
    macs [at least I think you did]. I also had lots of problems with my external
    firewire drive and trying to get it to mount on the desktop. It also happened
    on a couple of macs! In the end, I managed to get it working consistently by
    making sure that I powered it up first, until I could actually hear the disk
    accelerate. Then I connected the FW cable to the mac and then to the drive...
    this works every time now, although I will say that I had to take the drive
    back to the shop and get it swapped for a new one as it got fried. Although,
    I think that was a separate issue and not caused by the FW bus.

    Still, try listening to the drive when you power it up [power cable only] and
    see if it makes an increasing spinning noise, followed by a kind of click,
    which lets you know that the device has successfully initiated, and then try
    plugging it in.

    HTH

    dh.

    dilalio Guest

  7. #7

    John Croft <j.croftsus.ac.uk> wrote in message news:<020720030048048619%j.croftsus.ac.uk>...
    > > If the FireWire host adapter IC is fried, then of course you're in a
    > > bad situation, but it's a better than even chance that it's a simple
    > > passive component(s) that's dead.
    >
    > Could you tell me more about this? (Privately if you prefer.) I have
    > surveyed dozens of sites and forums online, all of which detail PHY
    > failures, which necessitates replacement of the motherboard.
    > Particularaly informative is:
    I probably should have prefaced this by saying that I haven't got
    experience with recent Apple motherboards, and I was speaking from
    what I've observed on PCs and proprietary systems.

    A schematic helps, but it's not necessary. The line of attack is to
    verify continuity from the PHY to the connector. Check the polyfuses
    to see if they are open-circuit. Check any series inductors to see if
    they are open-circuit.

    With that verified, the next thing is to see if there are shorts from
    TPA+/- and TPB+/- to ground or power (they would be shorts to the
    PHY's Vcc, not the power rail of the FireWire port - we're looking for
    shorted protection diodes internal to the PHY).

    Oh, and one hack that has been useful to me on occasion with PCs
    (fixing fried USB ports) - oftentimes, machines with one external port
    will have a dual-port chip, and you can cut-n-patch the connector
    through to the second port.
    Lewin A.R.W. Edwards Guest

  8. #8

    In article <0001HW.BB287435009C7321F0284600news.btopenworld. com>,
    dilalio <d.heighingtonSPAMNOTbtinternet.com> wrote:
    > John,
    >
    > Don't automatically assume that the problem is this fatal!
    > In your initial post you mentioned that the same thing was happening on 2
    > macs [at least I think you did]. I also had lots of problems with my external
    > firewire drive and trying to get it to mount on the desktop. It also happened
    > on a couple of macs! In the end, I managed to get it working consistently by
    > making sure that I powered it up first, until I could actually hear the disk
    > accelerate.
    Thanks for this -- I've actually tried every conceivable order or
    powering on and plugging-in -- and it's not only two Macs but two
    different drives, one of which works on a third mac! So, I'm not too
    optimistic.

    Thanks to Lewin also for the helpful information -- I'll investigate
    the machine looking out for these things.

    John
    John Croft Guest

  9. #9

    In article <010720031818387172%j.croftsus.ac.uk>, John Croft
    <j.croftsus.ac.uk> wrote:
    > In article <bds40v$108il7$1ID-34660.news.dfncis.de>, Dennis Luemkemann
    > <dennis.luemkemanngmx.de> wrote:
    >
    > > John Croft wrote:
    > > > Has any body else experienced this problem or know how to fix it?
    > >
    > > maybe something similar.
    > >
    > > I recently got a external hard disk case with Firewire and USB2
    > > connectors, put my ex-internal 10GB disk in it and connected it to my
    > > iBook (same as yours). The disk showed up and I could copy some stuff.
    > > Then suddenly, it disappeared and since then I couldn't use it with
    > > Firewire anymore, it would never mount or even be detected. Using the
    > > USB connector, it worked.
    >
    > I did some research and discovered that a faulty cable or drive can fry
    > your FireWire port -- this is what has happened to mine. Actually, the
    > FW chip is on the logic board, so to get FireWire going again I would
    > have to have that replaced, which all up would be over 400 -- not
    > really worth it for my old iBook.
    >
    > Seems like a slightly deficient technology, if one faulty cable can
    > cook your logic board...I hope this isn't the case with yours.

    Unfortunately, I had the same happen to me. A perfectly healthy
    external drive was connected to the FireWire port of my B&W G3. It
    worked at first, but after a few times, suddenly it wouldn't mount.
    Plugging the same drive into my iBook showed that the drive was
    unreadable. Reformatting on the iBook brought the drive back to life,
    but plugging it in into the G3 killed it again. So, the lesson is:
    1. FireWire ports do get damaged
    2. Once an external drive is connected to a damaged port, the content
    of the drive may be lost (!!!)

    What surprises me is that the iBook is a recent model, where these
    problem of early FireWire ports have supposedly been fixed.

    For a tower, the workaround is to buy a FireWire PCI card, but with an
    iBook, you are stuck.

    --
    germ Remove "nospam" to reply
    germ Guest