Professional Web Applications Themes

Fireworks MX2004 slow on winxp - user spec. problem? - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi, running WinXP home on a new Pentium 4 2.40 GHz with 1 GB or RAM. Upgraded to Studio MX 2004 w/ Flash Pro from Studio MX. Noticed incredible slow performance in Fireworks MX 2004, while working on same file in FW MX not a problem. It is not a file size issue, as that particular file is only 197 KB! Did some tests: 1. start a new file in FWMX04, size minimal => result: exact same performance issue 2. open a new user account in XP a. start a new file => result: no performance issues! (???) b. open ...

  1. #1

    Default Fireworks MX2004 slow on winxp - user spec. problem?

    Hi,
    running WinXP home on a new Pentium 4 2.40 GHz with 1 GB or RAM.
    Upgraded to Studio MX 2004 w/ Flash Pro from Studio MX.
    Noticed incredible slow performance in Fireworks MX 2004, while working on same file in FW MX not a problem. It is not a file size issue, as that particular file is only 197 KB!

    Did some tests:

    1. start a new file in FWMX04, size minimal
    => result: exact same performance issue

    2. open a new user account in XP
    a. start a new file
    => result: no performance issues! (???)
    b. open one of my original files created in FWMX
    => result: no performance issues! (???)

    So I guess, I'll be a different XP user for a while and see if the performance stays as good.

    Anybody know why that would be an issue?

    Nora Heuer
    Baytides Management Inc.
    [url]www.baytides.ca[/url]
    Baytides Guest

  2. #2

    mmmmh,
    I wonder if it has anything to do with my over 200! Sites I'm managing.......
    Probably...since the new test user I set up does not have access to my default user's site files. Which kinda leaves me in the dark.

    Damn...this is annoying.

    Nora Heuer
    Baytides Management Inc.
    [url]www.baytides.ca[/url]
    Baytides Guest

  3. #3

    Nora:

    I doubt that it has anything to do with that.

    I think it's more likely something that is running in the background for
    your original user's startup configuration.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Baytides" <infobaytides.ca> wrote in message
    > mmmmh,
    > I wonder if it has anything to do with my over 200! Sites I'm
    managing.......
    > Probably...since the new test user I set up does not have access to my
    default user's site files. Which kinda leaves me in the dark.

    > Damn...this is annoying.
    >

    > Nora Heuer
    > Baytides Management Inc.
    > [url]www.baytides.ca[/url]

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    Evidentially there is something really wrong with FW MX 2004 when it comes to speed issues. I?m getting really frustrated because I?m seeing posts all over the place about how slow it is running, and then I see a response from someone that say ?it works fine on my machine, it must be this or that on yours?? There are enough people out there complaining about this that there is something really wrong and it?s something in the programming because the last version of Fireworks worked fine. Photoshop runs fine. Every other application runs fine, except FW MX 2004! I?ve called tech support, I?ve tried installing in safe mode with nothing else getting in its way - it has not fixed the problem. Before you tell me to go fill out the form, I?ve done that. I?m just looking for some REAL answers here and hopefully a patch really really soon!

    bshroyer webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  5. #5

    Nora:

    I doubt that it has anything to do with that.

    I think it's more likely something that is running in the background for
    your original user's startup configuration.

    --
    Murray

    Thanks Murray,
    but no, I don't think that's the problem. I tried FWMX04 without any other startup items running with the exact same results.

    Nora Heuer
    Baytides Management Inc.
    [url]www.baytides.ca[/url]
    Baytides Guest

  6. #6

    "bshroyer" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > I?m getting really frustrated because I?m seeing posts all
    > over the place about how slow it is running, and then I see a
    > response from someone that say ?it works fine on my machine,
    > it must be this or that on yours??
    You'll usually see that type of reply when asserting that everyone's
    machine is slow, and people react to that misstatement.

    To get traction on this we need to nail down three soft parameters:
    1) the operation that is being performed
    2) how long it is taking
    3) the differences among systems

    When someone else knows your #1 and #2 they can then check against your
    #3... "hmm, takes you five minutes to open the app but only fifteen
    seconds for me, so it's not just the operating system, let's compare
    config further". Slownesses vary... slowness changing windows points to
    a different set of causes than calling menus, which in turn are
    different from something like batch operations or file transfers.

    That's why every conversation here with "slow" usually points back to
    the Emerging Issues technote, with a request that you fill out that
    performance questionnaire to give the product team a chance to see what
    you're seeing. If there's an easy way to not get the normal performance
    boost, then it's to everyone's advantage to discover exactly what is
    different.

    > Before you tell me to go fill out the form, I?ve done that.
    Cool, thanks, that's a step. I'm assuming you've also used the technotes
    with search term "slow" to find past ways to get various things to slow
    down, and have tested against those too.

    jd

    --
    John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco CA
    Search technotes: [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url]

    John Dowdell Guest