Professional Web Applications Themes

Fireworks? Photoshop? Paint Shop Pro? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

Any opinions?...

  1. #1

    Default Fireworks? Photoshop? Paint Shop Pro?

    Any opinions?

    Jordan Marton Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fireworks? Photoshop? Paint Shop Pro?

    photoshop is great for graphics, but not as strong as fireworks for
    slicing/exporting.
    I used to use PS for design, then open in FW for slicing, but unfortunately FW
    does not always maintain PS layer effects, so now I use PS only.
    Paint shop - ?

    wrrn Guest

  3. #3

    It depends what you want to do...
    Images for print - Photoshop
    Images for web - Fireworks

    --
    Colm
    [url]http://www.moosepucky.com/links/links.cfm[/url] > Links

    "Jordan Marton" <JMartonHAHAmarketaxess.com> wrote in message
    > Any opinions?

    colm Guest

  4. #4

    I think it is just what you are comfortable working with. Any of the apps
    can do all of what has been described so far.

    I will say however, that for photo retouching, or manipulation, Photoshop is
    the winner here.

    Sam

    "Jordan Marton" <JMartonHAHAmarketaxess.com> wrote in message
    > Any opinions?

    SamMan Guest

  5. #5

    Take your pick as to which you're most comfortable with.

    Jordan Marton wrote:
    > Any opinions?

    Kevin Scholl
    [email]kschollcomcast.DELETE.net[/email]
    Web Development and Graphic Design
    [url]http://www.interimag.com/~kscholl/professional/[/url]
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers
    of the dreams...

    Kevin Scholl Guest

  6. #6

    colm wrote:
    > It depends what you want to do...
    > Images for print - Photoshop
    > Images for web - Fireworks
    Why? While Photoshop clearly is better for print, what inherent
    advantage does Fireworks have for Web images?

  7. #7

    It's superior at optimising images for export, in my experience.
    That and it's integration with DW swings it for me.

  8. #8

    I like being able to have multiple objects in a single layer.

    "Kevin Scholl" <kschollcomcast.net> wrote in message

    > colm wrote:
    >
    > > It depends what you want to do...
    > > Images for print - Photoshop
    > > Images for web - Fireworks
    >
    > Why? While Photoshop clearly is better for print, what inherent
    > advantage does Fireworks have for Web images?
    >
    > > "Jordan Marton" <JMartonHAHAmarketaxess.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>Any opinions?
    >

    > --
    >
    > *** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***

    > Kevin Scholl
    > [email]kschollcomcast.DELETE.net[/email]
    > Web Development and Graphic Design
    > [url]http://www.interimag.com/~kscholl/professional/[/url]
    > We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers
    > of the dreams...

    Les Matthews Guest

  9. #9

    colm wrote:
    > It's superior at optimising images for export, in my experience.
    Hmmm...opposite is usually true in my experience.
    > That and it's integration with DW swings it for me.
    For those that utilize this feature, indeed. I daresay, however, that
    most developers do their imaging separately.

  10. #10

    Kevin:

    I have to agree with Colm, but then I rarely use PS anyhow so I haven't done
    systematic and comprehensive tests.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > Les Matthews wrote:
    >
    > > I like being able to have multiple objects in a single layer.
    >
    > The native PNG format advantage. True enough, but such is a personal
    > preference, not a real production advantage. I was curious as to whether
    > colm found something in Fireworks that he thought makes it inherently
    > better for Web images.
    >
    > > "Kevin Scholl" <kschollcomcast.net> wrote in message

    > >>Why? While Photoshop clearly is better for print, what inherent
    > >>advantage does Fireworks have for Web images?

    > >>--
    > >>
    > >>*** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***
    > >>
    > >>================================================ ==
    > >> Kevin Scholl
    > >> [email]kschollcomcast.DELETE.net[/email]
    > >>--------------------------------------------------
    > >> Web Development and Graphic Design
    > >> [url]http://www.interimag.com/~kscholl/professional/[/url]
    > >>--------------------------------------------------
    > >> We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers
    > >> of the dreams...
    > >>================================================ ==
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > *** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***

    > Kevin Scholl
    > [email]kschollcomcast.DELETE.net[/email]
    > Web Development and Graphic Design
    > [url]http://www.interimag.com/~kscholl/professional/[/url]
    > We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers
    > of the dreams...

    Murray *TMM* Guest

  11. #11

    If I had to choose between Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, it would be PSP
    hands down. It does everything that Photoshop does and costs only half
    as much. My preference is to use Fireworks for all Web work, though.

    Best regards,
    Linda Rathgeber
    ----------------
    Victoriana | [url]http://www.projectseven.com/dpacks/vic/index.htm[/url]
    Theme Pack 03 - Club | [url]www.projectseven.com[/url] |mm2| themes
    Contributor *PVII Foundations* [url]www.projectseven.com[/url]
    Co-author *Playing with Fire* [url]www.playingwithfire.com[/url]
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | [url]www.macromedia.com/go/team[/url]
    -----------------

    Linda Rathgeber Guest

  12. #12

    What I mean is that most developers who I've seen and/or worked with
    over the years prepare their images separately, usually before they even
    begin to physically build their pages. In such a situation, the ability
    to choose an image in DW and automatically edit it in FW becomes largely
    moot.

    Note, however, that I'm basing this on my (albeit lengthy) experience. I
    wouldn't dream of implying such is ALWAYS the case.

  13. #13

    vector editing?
    extensibility?

    "Kevin Scholl" <kschollcomcast.net> wrote in message

    > Les Matthews wrote:
    >
    > > I like being able to have multiple objects in a single layer.
    >
    > The native PNG format advantage. True enough, but such is a personal
    > preference, not a real production advantage. I was curious as to whether
    > colm found something in Fireworks that he thought makes it inherently
    > better for Web images.
    >
    > > "Kevin Scholl" <kschollcomcast.net> wrote in message

    > >>Why? While Photoshop clearly is better for print, what inherent
    > >>advantage does Fireworks have for Web images?

    > >>--
    > >>
    > >>*** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***
    > >>
    > >>================================================ ==
    > >> Kevin Scholl
    > >> [email]kschollcomcast.DELETE.net[/email]
    > >>--------------------------------------------------
    > >> Web Development and Graphic Design
    > >> [url]http://www.interimag.com/~kscholl/professional/[/url]
    > >>--------------------------------------------------
    > >> We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers
    > >> of the dreams...
    > >>================================================ ==
    > >>

    > --
    >
    > *** Remove the DELETE from my address to reply ***

    > Kevin Scholl
    > [email]kschollcomcast.DELETE.net[/email]
    > Web Development and Graphic Design
    > [url]http://www.interimag.com/~kscholl/professional/[/url]
    > We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers
    > of the dreams...

    Les Matthews Guest

  14. #14

    On 7/11/2003 9:25 PM, John Waller wrote:
    > You think Photoshop is overrated, Linda?
    I think it's overpriced. :-) I've always prefered working with vectors
    to working with raster images.

    Best regards,
    Linda Rathgeber
    ----------------

  15. #15

    "Linda Rathgeber" <lightlysc.rr.com> wrote in message news:3F0EEB76.3000900sc.rr.com...
    > If I had to choose between Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro, it would be PSP
    > hands down. It does everything that Photoshop does and costs only half
    > as much. My preference is to use Fireworks for all Web work, though.
    >

    > Best regards,
    > Linda Rathgeber
    > ----------------
    > Victoriana | [url]http://www.projectseven.com/dpacks/vic/index.htm[/url]
    > Theme Pack 03 - Club | [url]www.projectseven.com[/url] |mm2| themes
    > Contributor *PVII Foundations* [url]www.projectseven.com[/url]
    > Co-author *Playing with Fire* [url]www.playingwithfire.com[/url]
    > Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | [url]www.macromedia.com/go/team[/url]
    > -----------------

    there i go trying to write a thoughtful response and Linda take three sentences to say what took me three paragraphs.

    (She's 100% right btw)
    Paul L Guest

  16. #16

    In article <bem37i$mt9$1forums.macromedia.com>,
    [email]baloneySPAMNOTmoosepucky.com[/email] says...
    > It depends what you want to do...
    > Images for print - Photoshop
    > Images for web - Fireworks
    Photoshop still beats Fireworks hands down for serious image
    manipulation. If you're just cranking out dull images like text links,
    Fireworks will suffice.

    --
    Regards,
    Ian Firth

  17. #17

    #1, FW #2 and PS requires a mortgage payment.

    No desire to stir up a secondary discussion here but just thought I'd add
    the comment that I think price (or, more accurately, initial capital outlay)
    is relative to its use and context. IMHO, the above applies more to personal
    use than commercially. From a Total Cost of Ownership perspective including
    workflow, file sharing with other companies (printers, outside agencies),
    Photoshop stands up very well.

    Given Photoshop's capabilities, stability, maturity, ubiquity, support,
    reputation and end-user community, it's overall price structure is quite
    reasonable in the commercial world, IMHO. Plus, these days due to clever
    marketing, it's common to work with suites of integrated products which
    makes bundles such as Adobe's Design Collection attractive.

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    John Waller Guest

  18. #18

    Two questions:

    1. If you've already made hundreds of images with Photoshop, can you use Fireworks to optimize them? (And do you have to open them one at a time, or is there a way to optimize, say, a folder full of images?)

    2. What's "slicing"?

    I've worked with Photoshop for a few years, though I've certainly never pushed the envelope. I've never joined any user groups, so I'm not up to speed on the terminology - like "slicing." To me, it suggests cutting an image into several strips for faster loading - something I can do very easily in Photoshop.

    [url]http://www.geobop.com/[/url], GeoBearATgeobop.com (Replace AT with )
    Interests: Web Design, Linux &amp; Political Reform
    GeoBear Guest

  19. #19

    Geo:
    > 1. If you've already made hundreds of images with Photoshop, can you use
    Fireworks to optimize them? (And do you have to open them one at a time, or
    is there a way to optimize, say, a folder full of images?)

    An image is an image. It can be optimized in any program. There are
    provisos however. You wouldn't want to use a JPG as the source of a second
    or subsequent round of optimization if you can avoid it, because you will be
    applying a lossy compression to an image that has already had a lossy
    compression applied. So, it's best to always return to the source file for
    the optimization.

    You can batch optimize images in FW, but unless you know that each one
    requires the same processing, the results may not be so satisfactory.
    > 2. What's "slicing"?
    It's the process by which you create small pieces of an image which will be
    fit together on the web page. In many graphics editing packages you can
    define slice boundaries within an image and then cut out all those defined
    pieces in one step. When you see a web page that loads what looks like a
    complex checkerboard of images all fit together like a jigsaw puzzle - that
    is accomplished by slicing. It's not done for faster loading, however, for
    the most part.

    While a few smaller images will load faster than a single larger image
    (because their fetches are threaded), the benefit quickly vanishes as the
    number of images increases.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

  20. #20

    Geo:

    Here's how I most often use slices - I build my buttons with the technique.

    1. On a canvas, I design my background and my buttons. I place the buttons
    (text) as it will be on the final page, e.g.,

    HOME
    PRODUCTS
    SERVICES
    TESTIMONIALS
    CONTACT

    I space them as needed and add any graphic treatments.

    2. Then I add two additional frames to the canvas. I copy from frame one
    and paste onto frames 2 and 3. At this point I have 3 frames with identical
    content.

    3. I then adjust the appearance of frame 2 to be the over state button, and
    the appearance of frame 3 to be the down state button.

    4. I slice around each button on frame 1. I name each slice to correspond
    to my naming convention.

    5. I export the slices (no HTML) in all frames using my defined naming
    convention (i.e., all slices in frame 2 get "_o" appended to the slice name,
    and all slices in frame 3 get "_d" appended to the filename).

    Now I have all the states for all my buttons with all the graphics on them
    in an easy to edit and easy to process file.....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    > "It's the process by which you create small pieces of an image which will
    be
    > fit together on the web page. In many graphics editing packages you can
    > define slice boundaries within an image and then cut out all those defined
    > pieces in one step. When you see a web page that loads what looks like a
    > complex checkerboard of images all fit together like a jigsaw puzzle -
    that
    > is accomplished by slicing. It's not done for faster loading, however,
    for
    > the most part."
    >
    > OK. I guess I'm a veteran slicer, though I've been doing it the primitive
    way. I'll have to check out the more advanced techniques.