Professional Web Applications Themes

Fireworks TIFF imported in FreeHand (VERY URGENT!!!) - Macromedia Freehand

Hello, I am using Macromedia FreeHand MX. I am designing a brochure for print, for which I have made the front page (cover) in Macromedia Firewoks on 75 dpi resolution. Then I exported the image as TIFF 32, can anyone tell me if this will be printed fine (it looks fine on the screen). Actually I have not done much work in print and now I have lots of doughts about the final results. Shortly, please tell me what resolution should I use in my Fireworks file and in which format I should export it to import it in a ...

  1. #1

    Default Fireworks TIFF imported in FreeHand (VERY URGENT!!!)

    Hello,

    I am using Macromedia FreeHand MX. I am designing a brochure for print, for which I have made the front page (cover) in Macromedia Firewoks on 75 dpi resolution. Then I exported the image as TIFF 32, can anyone tell me if this will be printed fine (it looks fine on the screen). Actually I have not done much work in print and now I have lots of doughts about the final results.

    Shortly, please tell me what resolution should I use in my Fireworks file and in which format I should export it to import it in a FreeHand file of 600 dpi; for the best print results.

    I am really looking forward for any kind of help regarding this, and its really very, very urgent since I am already very late to find out the solution.

    Sehar

    seahr webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Sehar;

    If I understand correctly, what you will end up with is a graphic element
    that will be very small onscreen if you exported 75 DPI - if you stretch
    to fit, the graphic will be pixelated (ugly).

    You can either rebuild the image in Fireworks, setting the image density to
    600 DPI by going to Modify>Image Size (gives you a VERY large file), or
    rebuild it in Freehand as vector objects. If there are few photos in your
    cover, The advantage with the latter is that your file size will be smaller,
    resulting in faster print times.

    Your Hunch was right...

    Regards, MG

    "seahr" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am using Macromedia FreeHand MX. I am designing a brochure for print,
    for which I have made the front page (cover) in Macromedia Firewoks on 75
    dpi resolution. Then I exported the image as TIFF 32, can anyone tell me if
    this will be printed fine (it looks fine on the screen). Actually I have not
    done much work in print and now I have lots of doughts about the final
    results.

    > Shortly, please tell me what resolution should I use in my Fireworks file
    and in which format I should export it to import it in a FreeHand file of
    600 dpi; for the best print results.

    > I am really looking forward for any kind of help regarding this, and its
    really very, very urgent since I am already very late to find out the
    solution.

    > Sehar

    Michael Gould Guest

  3. #3

    Hi seahr,
    >made the front page (cover) in Macromedia Firewoks on 75 dpi resolution.
    Generally Fireworks SHOULD NOT be used for print design. There are no CMYK support.

    Having said that, you SHOULD try to create the cover at 300dpi.
    Reasons: If your output is 150lpi or 175lpi (Line per inch, print resolution on film)
    then your digital file should be 1 to 1.5 times of that lpi (e.g. 150X2=300dpi, per inch)
    Generally, just keep to 300 dpi (per Inch) is good enough for all purpose and don't care about whatever output.

    If you have a 72 dpi image, you could resample it and see how big it is for final output.
    HOW: In FW, open your image, deselect all and click on the IMAGE SIZE at the properties panel.
    A dialogue box will open. In it DESELECT -- RESAMPLE IMAGE in the print size section. Type 300 pixel/Inch in the resolution field. You will notice that the size will change for the width and height. This is the acceptable FINAL OUTPUT for print. Try not to enlarge beyond this size.

    Then import this image file to FH and layout in FH.
    Remeber to set the bleed size (3mm) for cropping.

    That's all very easy, don't panic.

    When you send the files out, just tell the color sep guys that the image needs to be converted to CMYK and they will do it for you. Most modern machines could convert on the fly, but I do not recommend doing this way as there are no control and things go wrong sometimes.

    Hope it's useful

    Jack
    [url]http://www.brainworkssolutions.net[/url]

    laihuattan webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    Better advice than mine, and laihuattan completes his sentences as well!

    MG

  5. #5

    "laihuattan" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Hi seahr,
    >
    >>made the front page (cover) in Macromedia Firewoks on 75 dpi resolution.
    >
    > Generally Fireworks SHOULD NOT be used for print design. There are no CMYK support.
    >
    > Having said that, you SHOULD try to create the cover at 300dpi.
    > Reasons: If your output is 150lpi or 175lpi (Line per inch, print resolution on film)
    In the interests of techinical accuracy, this is not correct. LPI (lines
    per inch) is the measurement of the halftone screen used for output, not
    the print resolution.

    For print resolution (which you don't need to worry about since it does
    not directly corrolate to image resolution when a halftone is involved),
    most imagesetters are run at 1800, 2400 or 2540 DPI (dots per inch; BTW
    this is the only time that DPI is used correctly. Image resolution is
    measured in pixels per inch, or PPI).

    Brian Pylant Guest