Professional Web Applications Themes

First attempt at db (All replies gratefully received) - ASP Database

I want to attach a small db to a site I designed in FrontPage 2003. I'm sure once this is done I will need to connect that db to another, releated one. I am using XP Pro with a Win 2000 Server. The first one is allow a visitor, once the transaction is complete, to leave comments about a particular transaction he/she made. The second one is retain the comments by the visitor so that a prospective purchaser could look up all the comments left by the visitor who had been converted into a purchaser. The second one has not ...

  1. #1

    Default First attempt at db (All replies gratefully received)

    I want to attach a small db to a site I designed in FrontPage 2003. I'm sure
    once this is done I will need to connect that db to another, releated one. I
    am using XP Pro with a Win 2000 Server.

    The first one is allow a visitor, once the transaction is complete, to leave
    comments about a particular transaction he/she made. The second one is
    retain the comments by the visitor so that a prospective purchaser could
    look up all the comments left by the visitor who had been converted into a
    purchaser.

    The second one has not been started yet and can't be until the other one is
    running properly. After that, I'm sure my boss will want me to add links
    between the two. Does anyone have a suggestion(s) on where to get started?
    Does FP 2003 have built-in functionality or is this something that has to be
    "custom made"? Is there a piece of software, book or tutorial that vould
    take me from start to finish, or one to get me started?

    Finally, please give me a reasonable amount of actual man hours you think it
    would take someone with no experience to complete this project. My boss
    asked asked me that question and I am trying to give him an accurate
    estimate. I have a full-time job at this company but do small non-commercial
    Webs as a sideline.

    Thanks very much for any suggestions!

    ted Guest

  2. #2

    On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:50:34 -0500, "ted" <com> wrote:

    Might start by looking for tutorials:

    http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/dbrwtipsandtricks.asp
    http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/tutorials/create_dbc.htm
    http://www.fred.net/dhark/fp3.html
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825502

    Had you asked in the FrontPage group, they'd have likely pointed you
    to the Database Wizard in FP2003.

    In addition to the list above, try the FrontPage groups.

    Can't. Don't know the database specs. But from the basic description
    given, a modification of existing "guestbook" code would likely get
    you up and running, but not using FP. A beginner to FP might take a
    week just to get a simple database running, if they're a beginner to
    database design and the database being used, it could be month of
    false starts and frustration.

    Might subcontract it then, or at least get some quotes. Give you an
    idea of time and complexity, as well as costs.

    Jeff
    Jeff Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for your reply Jeff. I'm trying to be cautious or maybe just lazy by
    posting here before jumping into something I can't do...at least not easily
    or without some help from someone who's done this before. From what I've
    seen in the FP group the DB Wizard is fairly rigid in what it can and cannot
    produce.

    Is your suggestion to start by learning and using the Wizard to see what it
    will produce and then try to add on or customize it? When I asked for a time
    estimate you said:

    Can't. Don't know the database specs. But from the basic description
    given, a modification of existing "guestbook" code would likely get
    you up and running, but not using FP. A beginner to FP might take a
    week just to get a simple database running, if they're a beginner to
    database design and the database being used, it could be month of
    false starts and frustration.

    I don't understand "but not using FP". Please tell me what you suggest in
    place of FP. Also, I could provide more specs if necessary. I think I have a
    very good idea of what is needed today but I really don't know what my boss
    will want added later.

    "Jeff Cochran" <com> wrote in message

    > Might start by looking for tutorials:
    >
    > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/dbrwtipsandtricks.asp
    > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/tutorials/create_dbc.htm
    > http://www.fred.net/dhark/fp3.html
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825502

    > Had you asked in the FrontPage group, they'd have likely pointed you
    > to the Database Wizard in FP2003.

    > In addition to the list above, try the FrontPage groups.

    > Can't. Don't know the database specs. But from the basic description
    > given, a modification of existing "guestbook" code would likely get
    > you up and running, but not using FP. A beginner to FP might take a
    > week just to get a simple database running, if they're a beginner to
    > database design and the database being used, it could be month of
    > false starts and frustration.

    > Might subcontract it then, or at least get some quotes. Give you an
    > idea of time and complexity, as well as costs.
    >
    > Jeff[/ref]

    ted Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:03:50 -0500, "ted" <com> wrote:

    It can be. But it's a start. And once you master the basics, you'll
    know why and where to deviate from it.

    That depends on you. You could code it in Notepad. You could use a
    WYSIWYG editor, or a full production tool like DreamWeaver. You don't
    even mention a database, so you could do Cold Fusion, you could use
    SQL, Access, or even a non-microsoft solution. You may have no ASP
    background at all and be better off starting in .NET as long as you
    need to learn. If you have no programming background, you're even
    further from producing a final product.

    Planning for what may be added later is part of the process. As is
    nailing down the exact specs to begin with. I know the questions I'd
    be asking if I were developing it for you, but you may not even have
    the background to understand why the question is asked.

    I'm not picking on you or being harsh, more just realistic. If you
    had some background your questions would likely be different. But you
    say you designed the site in FP2003, and want to add a database.
    Start with the database wizard, learn that and move up as needed.

    And start with the tutorials I listed or more like them. Then you'll
    have a basis to ask the next question at the next step.

    FWIW, beginning your learning curve on databases and web access with a
    project and deadline related to your job may not be the best for your
    health or employment.

    Jeff

    >> Might start by looking for tutorials:
    >>
    >> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/dbrwtipsandtricks.asp
    >> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/tutorials/create_dbc.htm
    >> http://www.fred.net/dhark/fp3.html
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;825502
    >>

    >> Had you asked in the FrontPage group, they'd have likely pointed you
    >> to the Database Wizard in FP2003.
    >>

    >> In addition to the list above, try the FrontPage groups.
    >>

    >> Can't. Don't know the database specs. But from the basic description
    >> given, a modification of existing "guestbook" code would likely get
    >> you up and running, but not using FP. A beginner to FP might take a
    >> week just to get a simple database running, if they're a beginner to
    >> database design and the database being used, it could be month of
    >> false starts and frustration.
    >>

    >> Might subcontract it then, or at least get some quotes. Give you an
    >> idea of time and complexity, as well as costs.
    >>
    >> Jeff[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Jeff Guest

  5. #5

    All good advice Jeff. You are also a good evaluator of my skills. I believe
    my job is stable. I have been with my company, my only employer, for over 20
    years. And I didn't volunteer, I was asked if I thought I could do it and I
    asked for some time to reply.

    Based on your advice, I think I will tell my boss I want to start with the
    db wizard and see how well I can work with it and then give him an answer. I
    know his next question will be how much time. I've been through with him
    many times before. Some good some not so but he is pretty fair, yet
    demanding. He is also a shrewd businessman and takes his time in planning
    projects, especially ones in which he has no knowledge or control over.
    Thanks for your thoughts. I guess we'll just have to see...

    > It can be. But it's a start. And once you master the basics, you'll
    > know why and where to deviate from it.

    > That depends on you. You could code it in Notepad. You could use a
    > WYSIWYG editor, or a full production tool like DreamWeaver. You don't
    > even mention a database, so you could do Cold Fusion, you could use
    > SQL, Access, or even a non-microsoft solution. You may have no ASP
    > background at all and be better off starting in .NET as long as you
    > need to learn. If you have no programming background, you're even
    > further from producing a final product.

    > Planning for what may be added later is part of the process. As is
    > nailing down the exact specs to begin with. I know the questions I'd
    > be asking if I were developing it for you, but you may not even have
    > the background to understand why the question is asked.
    >
    > I'm not picking on you or being harsh, more just realistic. If you
    > had some background your questions would likely be different. But you
    > say you designed the site in FP2003, and want to add a database.
    > Start with the database wizard, learn that and move up as needed.
    >
    > And start with the tutorials I listed or more like them. Then you'll
    > have a basis to ask the next question at the next step.
    >
    > FWIW, beginning your learning curve on databases and web access with a
    > project and deadline related to your job may not be the best for your
    > health or employment.
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    >>[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    ted Guest

  6. #6

    Good luck. And ask when you get stuck, the learning curve gets
    flatter that way.

    Jeff

    On Tue, 5 Oct 2004 22:49:13 -0500, "ted" <com> wrote:

    >> It can be. But it's a start. And once you master the basics, you'll
    >> know why and where to deviate from it.
    >>

    >> That depends on you. You could code it in Notepad. You could use a
    >> WYSIWYG editor, or a full production tool like DreamWeaver. You don't
    >> even mention a database, so you could do Cold Fusion, you could use
    >> SQL, Access, or even a non-microsoft solution. You may have no ASP
    >> background at all and be better off starting in .NET as long as you
    >> need to learn. If you have no programming background, you're even
    >> further from producing a final product.
    >>

    >> Planning for what may be added later is part of the process. As is
    >> nailing down the exact specs to begin with. I know the questions I'd
    >> be asking if I were developing it for you, but you may not even have
    >> the background to understand why the question is asked.
    >>
    >> I'm not picking on you or being harsh, more just realistic. If you
    >> had some background your questions would likely be different. But you
    >> say you designed the site in FP2003, and want to add a database.
    >> Start with the database wizard, learn that and move up as needed.
    >>
    >> And start with the tutorials I listed or more like them. Then you'll
    >> have a basis to ask the next question at the next step.
    >>
    >> FWIW, beginning your learning curve on databases and web access with a
    >> project and deadline related to your job may not be the best for your
    >> health or employment.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>

    >>[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Jeff Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks very much, Jeff. I am starting (quietly) on it today. I appreciate
    your offer and will post back when I get stuck.

    >>[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    ted Guest