Professional Web Applications Themes

First hour with Panther... - Mac Applications & Software

The weekend is here so I decided to install OS X 10.3 (Panther) and see what it's like. After futzing about for a few hours, I figured I would post my "Macintosh Desktop Experience"(s). (Yes, it actually says that when you click on About Finder. We're as doomed as doomed can be.) My first thought was that I prefer the new destriped look. It is cleaner and less busy and the traffic lights are a lot slicker (yes, they still make you want to lick the screen, which may or may not be legal in your jurisdiction). What I don't ...

  1. #1

    Default First hour with Panther...

    The weekend is here so I decided to install OS X 10.3 (Panther)
    and see what it's like. After futzing about for a few hours, I figured I
    would post my "Macintosh Desktop Experience"(s). (Yes, it actually says
    that when you click on About Finder. We're as doomed as doomed can be.)

    My first thought was that I prefer the new destriped look. It is
    cleaner and less busy and the traffic lights are a lot slicker (yes, they
    still make you want to lick the screen, which may or may not be legal in
    your jurisdiction). What I don't like is the spread of the brushed metal
    look and spread it has. It's EVERYWHERE. Ugh. Lets hope the good folks at
    Unsanity [1] gets Metallifizer [2] working with 10.3. Perhaps they should
    consider selling it (rather than giving it away) to offset all the income
    they're going to lose selling Labels X [3] now that Apple has readded that
    functionality into Finder. Mind you, Apple's implemenation does not work
    as well or look as good as Unsanity's so maybe there's hope for them yet.
    Apple has also added, or adopted, a task switching function that's quite
    similar to that provided by Proteron's [4] LiteSwitchX [5]. I'm a big fan
    of LiteSwitchX. I really wouldn't want to use OS X without it and I think
    I'll have to install it under Panther as Apple's isn't quite up to snuff.
    It's odd that this new feature wasn't mentioned in the WWDC presentation
    but there was limited time and Jobs had bigger fish to fry. If Apple adds
    the ability to configure their task switcher, they might win me over.

    The new Finder is a big improvement and I didn't realize that
    the old Finder needed improvement. Apple really knows user interfaces. I
    don't know who their UI people are but these people deserve raises (and
    new identities before Microsoft kidnaps them). Excellent job (even with
    the bloody metal look, okay, I'll stop ranting about that now).

    Expose. It's very slick and it works well although it will take
    some time to get use to. It's clearly one of those features that we will
    not want to be without. Conversely, it's a feature that Microsoft will
    rip-off for their next abomination of an OS.

    I can't get User Switching to work the way it did in the demo.
    I can switch users on the fly and applications keep working but none of
    that pretty eye candy with the rotating cube. It might be because I am
    using an iBook that does not support Quartz Extreme. I'll have to test
    this on a Powermac with a capable video card and see what happens.

    This Font Book thing looks useful but what the hell do I know
    about fonts? I do know one thing about fonts and that is that the one I
    liked most (Lucida Typewriter) isn't here. What's up with that? I guess
    I'm going to have to learn about fonts. Dang.

    Folder Actions. I haven't a clue what they are and there isn't
    anything listed under Help. Oh well.

    I don't have a camera (yet) so I can't comment on iChat's new
    features but the old features still work so I have nothing to complain
    about. You've probably already downloaded it from Apple so I'll move on
    to something else.

    I use the Terminal a lot and Apple has made a few improvements
    but it isn't without its problems. I don't use a scrollback buffer so I
    disabled it but I still get the bar (where the scrollbar would be) down
    the right hand side of the window. A minor gripe at best. X11 is great
    and I might just start using an X-based terminal. While on the subject
    of UNIX stuff, the Ports Manager is going to make life a lot easier but
    it's not fully baked yet.

    Piles? I don't know what they were suppose to be but they are
    not here which is just fine with me because the last thing I want is an
    OS with piles. Maybe Apple killed them because the name was just wrong?

    There's more, lots more but it's 2:30am and I'm fading quickly
    so I'm going to wrap it up here. If anyone has any questions, feel free
    to post them and I'll try to answer them as best I can.

    Here are some URLS for the companies/products I mentioned above:

    1. Unsasnity (company)
    [url]http://www.unsanity.com/[/url]
    2. Metallifizer (product)
    [url]http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/metallifizer/[/url]
    3. Labels X (product)
    [url]http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/labels/[/url]
    4. Proteron (company)
    [url]http://www.proteron.com/[/url]
    5. LiteSwitchX (product)
    [url]http://www.proteron.com/liteswitchx/index.php[/url]

    --
    Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com>
    Yes, my name is Bjorn and no, I don't work at Ikea.

    Bjorn Nitmo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: First hour with Panther...

    Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    > The weekend is here so I decided to install OS X 10.3 (Panther)
    > and see what it's like. After futzing about for a few hours, I figured I
    > would post my "Macintosh Desktop Experience"(s). (Yes, it actually says
    > that when you click on About Finder. We're as doomed as doomed can be.)
    Thanks for the review.

    How did you get a copy of Panther?
    stan@temple.edu Guest

  3. #3

    In article <bdkafd$hpg$1cronkite.temple.edu>, <stantemple.edu> wrote:
    > Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    > > The weekend is here so I decided to install OS X 10.3 (Panther)
    > > and see what it's like. After futzing about for a few hours, I figured I
    > > would post my "Macintosh Desktop Experience"(s). (Yes, it actually says
    > > that when you click on About Finder. We're as doomed as doomed can be.)
    >
    > Thanks for the review.
    >
    > How did you get a copy of Panther?
    Attendees of WWDC got copies of the Panther developer release.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  4. #4

    In <280620030806242344%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id> sbt wrote:
    > In article <bdkafd$hpg$1cronkite.temple.edu>, <stantemple.edu> wrote:
    >
    >> Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    >> > The weekend is here so I decided to install OS X 10.3 (Panther)
    >> > and see what it's like. After futzing about for a few hours, I
    >> > figured I would post my "Macintosh Desktop Experience"(s). (Yes,
    >> > it actually says that when you click on About Finder. We're as
    >> > doomed as doomed can be.)
    >>
    >> Thanks for the review.
    >>
    >> How did you get a copy of Panther?
    >
    > Attendees of WWDC got copies of the Panther developer release.
    But they are not allowed to discuss them. The OP has broken his NDA
    agreement. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = [email]matttidbits.com[/email], [url]http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/url]
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  5. #5

    Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> writes:
    [...]
    > (yes, they still make you want to lick the screen, which may or may
    > not be legal in your jurisdiction). What I don't like is the spread
    [...]

    I thought only certain web sites would evoke such a reaction. ;)

    --
    David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, [url]http://www.magda.ca/[/url]
    David Magda Guest

  6. #6

    In article <20030628081805829-0700news.la.sbcglobal.net>, matt neuburg
    <matttidbits.com> wrote:
    > In <280620030806242344%dogbreathchaseabone.com.inval id> sbt wrote:

    > >> Thanks for the review.
    > >>
    > >> How did you get a copy of Panther?
    > >
    > > Attendees of WWDC got copies of the Panther developer release.
    >
    > But they are not allowed to discuss them. The OP has broken his NDA
    > agreement. m.
    Did developers aat the WWDC sign NDAs before getting the Panther disks?
    Doesn't make sense that they would.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    [email]cats1921sonic.net[/email]
    Cathy Stevenson Guest

  7. #7

    In article <slrnbfqdr3.gqu.bjornmaul.deepsky.com>,
    Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    > The weekend is here so I decided to install OS X 10.3 (Panther)
    > and see what it's like.
    This has to be a developer preview copy. I don't have a lot of
    experience with that kind of stuff - just the Java 1.4 developer
    previews. Those were covered by a non-disclosure agreement. I'd be
    really surprised if a developer preview of Panther wasn't subject to
    NDA.

    Oops.

    --
    Larry Fransson
    Seattle, WA

  8. #8

    Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> writes:

    > Piles? I don't know what they were suppose to be but they are
    > not here which is just fine with me because the last thing I want is an
    > OS with piles. Maybe Apple killed them because the name was just wrong?
    [url]http://www.cs.columbia.edu/graphics/courses/csw4170/resources/p627-mander.pdf[/url]

    A "pile" is just that. It has the visual appearance of a pile of
    pieces of paper - each one representing a doent. The pages are not
    neatly stacked, so you can point to individual pages in the pile.
    Visible parts of the pages in the pile contain something that
    identifies it (e.g. a key-frame from a video clip or the cover page of
    a doent, etc.) Various bits of GUI magic allows you to preview a
    doent simply by hovering the pointer of a doent in a pile.
    Double-clicking a doent in the pile opens it.

    The idea is that people tend to think in terms of piles of stuff.
    Look around your (home) office. Chances are that you've got piles of
    paper in many places. And you probably know most of what's in each
    pile, and if you're looking for a particular doent, you can
    probably go straight to the pile and find it.

    The OS concept of piles is similar. Instead of putting things in
    folders, where you need to assign a name and use that name for
    locating the doent, you just throw them onto a pile, like you would
    in real life.

    It's a real nifty idea. One that has several outspoken advocates.
    But it appears that Apple is still not going to implement them in
    MacOS.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  9. #9

    David C. wrote:
    > [url]http://www.cs.columbia.edu/graphics/courses/csw4170/resources/p627-mander.pdf[/url]
    That was very informative. Thanks. It's a shame that these Piles
    didn't make it into Panther because they sound like a great idea. Perhaps
    they will appear in the release version or subsequent updates (if memory
    serves, that what's happend with spring loaded folders). I did a few web
    searches and found a nift animation that shows up Piles might work:

    [url]http://homepage.mac.com/rdas7/piles.html[/url]
    > It's a real nifty idea. One that has several outspoken advocates. But
    > it appears that Apple is still not going to implement them in MacOS.
    Perhaps someone else will. Of course, they may not end up being
    as well integrated with the Finder as they would be if Apple did them. I
    guess we'll have to wait and see.

  10. #10

    In article <slrnbfroh2.uv5.bjornmaul.deepsky.com>,
    Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    > I had hoped that people might find my experiences with Panther
    > interesting and that they might have some questions they wanted answered
    > but what seems to have happened is that a bunch of ill-informed wannabe
    > lawyers are piling supposition upon supposition regarding whether I may
    > or may not have violated an NDA I may or may not have signed.
    >
    > I shouldn't have bothered. I won't make that mistake again.

    Well, of course people would find it interesting. But if you are under
    an NDA (and you are if you got the Panther preview legally), you make it
    more likely that Apple will share less with developers in the future. As
    someone whose company pays for a developer's license, I resent that.

    --
    Hank Gillette
    Hank Gillette Guest

  11. #11

    In article <slrnbfroh2.uv5.bjornmaul.deepsky.com>, Bjorn Nitmo
    <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    > I had hoped that people might find my experiences with Panther
    >interesting and that they might have some questions they wanted answered
    >but what seems to have happened is that a bunch of ill-informed wannabe
    >lawyers are piling supposition upon supposition regarding whether I may
    >or may not have violated an NDA I may or may not have signed.
    >
    > I shouldn't have bothered. I won't make that mistake again.
    Oh, such wounded indignation ill becomes you. Fear not, you haven't
    violated any NDA: that honour falls to whoever uploaded the Panther
    disc image to the PTP servers. Anyone downloading it is violating the
    law of the land, but not an NDA - and is nowhere near important enough
    to ever be invited to sign one.

    On those servers, people are posting their Panther experiences daily
    and answering questions ad nauseam. Hey, copy-and-paste Clippings are
    back! Hey, it only needs print drivers to be ready for prime time!,
    etc.

    You have strayed too far from the Hole in the Wall. If the Indians
    don't get you, white man will.

    Stan
    Stan The Man Guest

  12. #12

    I cannot get my fast user switching to work....Any one got any ideas
    e-mail me please and put me out of my misery.
    Marky Boy Guest

  13. #13

    Tom Harrington <tphpcisys.no.spam.dammit.net> writes:

    > Incidentally, thanks much to David C. for posting the link to the
    > technical paper from Columbia.
    The credit goes to Google. I just ran the search.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  14. #14

    Did they change the whole /usr/share/tcsh/examples thing again as they
    did from 10.1 to 10.2?

    <http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020826003806202>

    hn
    WeSaySo Guest

  15. #15

    In article <slrnbfroh2.uv5.bjornmaul.deepsky.com>,
    Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    > I had hoped that people might find my experiences with Panther
    > interesting and that they might have some questions they wanted answered
    > but what seems to have happened is that a bunch of ill-informed wannabe
    > lawyers are piling supposition upon supposition regarding whether I may
    > or may not have violated an NDA I may or may not have signed.
    >
    > I shouldn't have bothered. I won't make that mistake again.
    Ah Bjorn, don't tell us that you were going to post an article on one of
    the most sought-after pieces of software of the Mac community and expected
    that no-one would comment on the fact that you have it while (presumably)
    most of the rest of us does not. How long have you been around on Usenet?

    And besides, maybe it might be that there are lots of other people running
    it already on their Macs, so why the assumption that we want to ask *you*
    questions about it?

    Paolo

    "The best evidence of intelligent life out there
    is that none of them have contacted us."
    --John Fistere
    Paolo Cordone Guest

  16. #16

    Against my better judgement, I am wasting more time discussing
    this. I'm becoming a masochist.

    Paolo Cordone wrote:
    > Ah Bjorn, don't tell us that you were going to post an article on one
    > of the most sought-after pieces of software of the Mac community and
    > expected that no-one would comment on the fact that you have it while
    > (presumably) most of the rest of us does not.
    As a matter of fact, it never crossed my mind that some would
    be more interested in discussing what laws I may or may not have broken
    in posting my comments rather than discussing the topic at hand.

    Had I anticipated these kinds of responses, I would have posted
    to comp.sys.mac.legal-beagles.

    For the record, I was given the beta by a representative of Apple
    and I didn't sign an NDA nor was I instructed not to discuss it although I
    was asked not to distribute it (apologies to those that have sent me mail
    asking for copies). I have so far found six problems (two major ones) and
    chasing down bugs is why Apple distributed this beta.
    > How long have you been around on Usenet?
    About fifteen years. I don't see the relevance.
    > And besides, maybe it might be that there are lots of other people
    > running it already on their Macs, so why the assumption that we want
    > to ask *you* questions about it?
    My post was not made for the benefit of those who are already
    running Panther. It was for those who aren't and wish to know more about
    it. They might be interested in asking me questions because I indicated
    I was running it. Asking questions of someone who isn't running it would
    be pointless.

    Are you really this dense? I may have been the first person in
    history to over estimate the intelligence of Mac users.

    Note: If anyone is running Panther on a dual G4 Power Mac (gigabit),
    please send me email. There are some problems I've experienced
    and I'm curious if you are experiencing them too.

  17. #17

    In article <slrnbg18nn.p5t.bjornmaul.deepsky.com>, Bjorn Nitmo
    <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    > Asking questions of someone who isn't running it would
    > be pointless.
    I was about to accuse you of overestimating the intelligence of usenet
    participants...

    > Are you really this dense? I may have been the first person in
    > history to over estimate the intelligence of Mac users.
    but you beat me to the punch.
    jemmy ducks Guest

  18. #18

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:52:29 +0100, Bjorn Nitmo wrote
    (in message <slrnbg18nn.p5t.bjornmaul.deepsky.com>):
    > As a matter of fact, it never crossed my mind that some would
    > be more interested in discussing what laws I may or may not have broken
    > in posting my comments rather than discussing the topic at hand.
    I personally thought it would have been obvious.
    > About fifteen years. I don't see the relevance.
    It was a rethorical question. I found it amazing that you didn't foresee
    replies of this kind to your post. That's why I was wondering how long you
    had been around, for stuff lke this happens all the time on Usenet.
    > Are you really this dense? I may have been the first person in
    > history to over estimate the intelligence of Mac users.
    Ah, I see, insulting is all you can come up with. Well, with that attitude I
    doubt anybody will ask you anything about Panther. After all, there are nicer
    people around.

    Paolo

    Paolo Cordone Guest

  19. #19

    In article <slrnbg18nn.p5t.bjornmaul.deepsky.com>,
    Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com> wrote:
    > Against my better judgement, I am wasting more time discussing
    >this. I'm becoming a masochist.
    >
    >Paolo Cordone wrote:
    >
    >> Ah Bjorn, don't tell us that you were going to post an article on one
    >> of the most sought-after pieces of software of the Mac community and
    >> expected that no-one would comment on the fact that you have it while
    >> (presumably) most of the rest of us does not.
    >
    > As a matter of fact, it never crossed my mind that some would
    >be more interested in discussing what laws I may or may not have broken
    >in posting my comments rather than discussing the topic at hand.
    >
    > Had I anticipated these kinds of responses, I would have posted
    >to comp.sys.mac.legal-beagles.
    I for one am grateful to Bjorn for posting his interesting observations
    on Panther. It's one thing to worry about NDA's with respect to software
    or hardware that is still a mystery. But we know Panther is coming, and
    it's a certainty that Microsoft for one has a copy already, so what harm
    can come from letting the rest of us know about his impressions?

    If Apple has a problem with Bjorn's posting, why don't we let Apple deal
    with it?

    Thanks, Bjorn!

    David Derbes [lokimidway.uchicago.edu]

    > For the record, I was given the beta by a representative of Apple
    >and I didn't sign an NDA nor was I instructed not to discuss it although I
    >was asked not to distribute it (apologies to those that have sent me mail
    >asking for copies). I have so far found six problems (two major ones) and
    >chasing down bugs is why Apple distributed this beta.
    >
    >> How long have you been around on Usenet?
    >
    > About fifteen years. I don't see the relevance.
    >
    >> And besides, maybe it might be that there are lots of other people
    >> running it already on their Macs, so why the assumption that we want
    >> to ask *you* questions about it?
    >
    > My post was not made for the benefit of those who are already
    >running Panther. It was for those who aren't and wish to know more about
    >it. They might be interested in asking me questions because I indicated
    >I was running it. Asking questions of someone who isn't running it would
    >be pointless.
    >
    > Are you really this dense? I may have been the first person in
    >history to over estimate the intelligence of Mac users.
    >
    >Note: If anyone is running Panther on a dual G4 Power Mac (gigabit),
    > please send me email. There are some problems I've experienced
    > and I'm curious if you are experiencing them too.
    >
    >--
    >Bjorn Nitmo <bjorndeepsky.com>
    >Yes, my name is Bjorn and no, I don't work at Ikea.

    david raoul derbes Guest

  20. #20

    In article <9rDMa.5$Y4.1737news.uchicago.edu>, david raoul derbes
    <lokimidway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
    > I for one am grateful to Bjorn for posting his interesting observations
    > on Panther.
    And I for two.

    --
    George Johnson