Professional Web Applications Themes

Fit Selection in Window Doesn't Work As Advertised - Adobe Indesign Windows

Dave-- Just for fun, I'd note that the zoom invoked by FreeHand and/or CorelDRAW! is also arbitrary. Sure, it fits the selection into the window, but the resulting magnification is anyone's guess. If, in InDesign, you want a zoom that's not arbitrary, press Ctrl-- or Ctrl-+ after doing the fit to window. That will zoom to the next "even" magnification percentage. Thanks, Ole...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Fit Selection in Window Doesn't Work As Advertised

    Olav_Kvern@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Why would you want to magnify to a specific percentage? The object surely is
    to make whatever you're doing fit into the biggest bit of screen you've got
    so you can work on it comfortably. All these keyboard shortcuts and what not
    just cloud the issue. The easiest way is to drag a marquee round the object
    with the magnifying glass.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The easiest way is to drag a marquee round the object with the magnifying
    glass.

    Yep. I think that's why I didn't realize the feature we've been discussing even existed.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Having said that, I do find myself using the 'fit page in window' button on
    the PageMaker toolbar an awful lot. But that is really just to get to a
    neutral position. Any detail work is easiest defined by using the magnify
    tool - and then dragging the box in Navigator to move around.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I have Command-Shift-W assigned to Fit Page in Window (on my Mac), following FreeHand's lead.

    Very useful, and one-handed.

  6. #6

    Reading you introducing PageMaker I want to ad that the PM-feature
    right-click zoom-in and zoom-out while the onclick-mouse-position becomes
    the center of the zoom is the handling tool I'm missing mostly in ID. I did
    a feature-request to make the right-click editable in the
    shortcut-preferences hoping someone will see thas this would increase
    handling-speed for folks like me enormous...

    As workaround I defined the funktions-keys F2-F4 with "whole pasteboard",
    "fit page to windows" and the here discussed "fit item in window". It's not
    really what the PM-rightclick does, but gives control in a similar way at
    one fingertip. Choosing the magnifying-tool to zoom and then switch back to
    another tool imho is to slow - for heaven's sake <ctrl>+<space>+mouse does a
    similar job.

    Uwe

    Uwe_Rottkamp@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    "Very useful, and one-handed"

    As long as you're not a left-handed mouse user - like I am.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    I didn't know about the Ctrl+space+drag shortcut. It's one to try if I
    remember - and that, I think, is the nub of using shortcuts.

    The fastest tools are always the ones that you are familiar with. Having to
    think beyond intuition slows down the action. Which is why I have stuck with
    the old cut, copy and paste shortcuts involving the insert and delete keys -
    apart from being a left handed mouse user which puts the V, X and C keys on
    the wrong side of the keyboard.

    The PageMaker toolbar also adds incremental zoom in/zoom out buttons and a
    'fit actual size' button - I never have discovered what actual size really
    means.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    I've just realised what's wrong with Ctr+space+click.

    You can't zoom and eat a banana at the same time.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    > I've just realised what's wrong with Ctr+space+click.
    > You can't zoom and eat a banana at the same time.
    'cause I love banana, too I was asking for the right-click-feature 8-))
    I'll think about calling Chiquita Incorp. to support my feature-request...

  11. #11

    Uwe--

    I am now rushing out to the patent office to file the plans for my new invention--a mouse with a banana holder. A mouse click provides the mechanical power to peel the banana and push it toward a point about two feet in front of the computer screen. I'll split the royalties with you and Ken.

  12. #12

    Ole. Any chance of an option to butter toast as well?

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest