Professional Web Applications Themes

Fits w/ CS on this problem... - Adobe Illustrator Windows

I'm using Ill 11.0.0. With 10.0, I could enclose and center my logos within a transparent stroke/fill box and generate my files so that whitespace existed around the perimeter of the image (which is what all my clients prefer). When I upgraded to CS, it "ignores" the transparent stroke/fill box and crops the file to the edges of the image itself (like it crops to where the bounding box would be), which is fine if the image is angular, but if it consists of curves, Ill. "chops off" a very small portion of the outer arc. I asked this once ...

  1. #1

    Default Fits w/ CS on this problem...

    I'm using Ill 11.0.0. With 10.0, I could enclose and center my logos within a transparent stroke/fill box and generate my files so that whitespace existed around the perimeter of the image (which is what all my clients prefer).

    When I upgraded to CS, it "ignores" the transparent stroke/fill box and crops the file to the edges of the image itself (like it crops to where the bounding box would be), which is fine if the image is angular, but if it consists of curves, Ill. "chops off" a very small portion of the outer arc.

    I asked this once when CS was released and no one had a fix. I'm hoping maybe someone has an idea how to resolve it now, or can tell me if CS2 will crop to the transparent box. If so, I'll just upgrade to it.

    I have resolved the problem for GIF and PNG files by clipping to the artboard, but on TIF, BMP, and WMF it crops to where the bounding box would be and I don't see any setting I can change to correct it.

    I appreciate any help,

    Jenny
    Jennifer_Johnson@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Fits w/ CS on this problem...

    Jennifer,

    In all versions of Illustrator going all the way back to at least AI 88 the recommended way of controlling the bounding box for exporting is to use the Crop Area command. The name of this command has morphed over the years, from Crop Marks to Trim Marks to Crop Area, but the method of setting it and the semantics of how it is used for export has not changed.

    Use the Rectangle tool to draw your desired export box, then use the Object>Crop Area>Make command.
    Teri Guest

  3. #3

    Teri,

    I have a question about this because when I use the crop area command (in CS1) on an AI file, Indesign seems to completely ignore it and when I use it with an eps file, Indesign will honor it but if you move the object around inside the bounding box till you get the crop marks to show, they will print even though the help file for illustrator says they are non-printing. Any idea why this is or is this (probably) a question for the Indesign forum?
    Sepen@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Teri,

    Thanks for the info. I can definitely do that and will keep my fingers crossed that it solves the problem. I've honestly never used that command other than for clients to proof cards/lh w/ a bleed, so I didn't even think about using it to solve this issue.

    Thanks for the advice,