Professional Web Applications Themes

Flag wave - Macromedia Director 3D

Anyone know how I can animate a flag flapping in the wind for export to Dir MX? I have an animation that looks great in MAX but the phase animation I've used on the wave modifier won't export as it's unsupported... Cheers, GP...

  1. #1

    Default Flag wave

    Anyone know how I can animate a flag flapping in the wind for export to Dir
    MX?

    I have an animation that looks great in MAX but the phase animation I've
    used on the wave modifier won't export as it's unsupported...

    Cheers,

    GP

    Gianpiero Colagiacomo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flag wave

    In 3DS Max, you have to sample the animation before exporting.

    Choose the number of keyframes to create.
    E.g, for an animation running from frame 1 to 1000, selecting 1 keyframe
    every then frame will sample the animation to 100 keyframes. Then you can
    export to Shockwave 3D.

    This method is also used when creating a spline based animation in 3DS Max
    as splines are not supported by the exporter.

    Cheers,
    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Karl,

    I need some guidance here... 'Sampling' an animation is not something that
    I can find in the help for MAX and I've never done it before so could do
    with some idea of how you do it!

    I tried creating keyframes every ten frames but still my animation won't
    export.

    How do I go about 'sampling' my animation?

    Cheers,

    GP

  4. #4

    You don't have to create keyframes every n frames by yourself. 3DS Max does
    it when you sample the animation. I'm not a graphic artist, but a developer.
    You should ask a fellow 3d artist or animator to guide you here.

    Cheers,
    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  5. #5

    My 6 years professional experience show that a collaboration between a
    graphic artist and a developer who understand each other's job yields a
    better result. The graphic artists I work with master drawing on paper,
    painting as much as 3D modelling and animation. So, I focus on my work, that
    is interactivity, OOP, databases and so on...

    However, you're right in that many companies search for people who know
    both.

    Karl.

    Karl Sigiscar Guest

  6. #6

    > Anyone know how I can animate a flag flapping in the wind for export to
    Dir
    > MX?
    As you know, animation on modifiers doesn't export. So to export the flag
    you will need to rig the flag with bones. Then animate the bones. This
    process is very dependant on the version of the exporter you are using.

    -- mark
    [url]http://ezupa.com[/url]

    Mark McCoy Guest

  7. #7

    Mark,

    'Sampling' the animation as Karl suggested isn't the way to go with this
    then? I still haven't found any information regarding sampling despite my
    repeated searching of the 'net. :(

    Again, being new to MAX bones animation is something I haven't tried yet but
    at least I know where to find the tutorials!

    Cheers,

    GP

  8. #8

    Thanks Mark, I'll try bones animation and see how it goes...