Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash 9 Failed to install, XP IE6 - Macromedia Flash Player

The other day a user caleed saying that youtube wouldn't play and that his Flash player was not compatible, which was odd because i remember updating him to v9 in the summer. So I attempted to do a normal install from Adobe's site to upgrade, but receive the error "flash player 9 failled to install". So after troubleshooting with Adobe's support pages, the following is a list of things I've done after that but still cannot get it installed. Add/Removed, cleared cache/temp/cookies, reboot, activeX install, FAIL Add/Removed, cleared cache/temp/cookies, ran Flash 9 Uninstaller, reboot, ran offline installer, FAIL Add/Removed, cleared ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash 9 Failed to install, XP IE6

    The other day a user caleed saying that youtube wouldn't play and that his
    Flash player was not compatible, which was odd because i remember updating him
    to v9 in the summer. So I attempted to do a normal install from Adobe's site to
    upgrade, but receive the error "flash player 9 failled to install". So after
    troubleshooting with Adobe's support pages, the following is a list of things
    I've done after that but still cannot get it installed.

    Add/Removed, cleared cache/temp/cookies, reboot, activeX install, FAIL
    Add/Removed, cleared cache/temp/cookies, ran Flash 9 Uninstaller, reboot, ran
    offline installer, FAIL
    Add/Removed, cleared cache/temp/cookies, ran Flash 9 Uninstaller, reboot,
    install subinacl.msi, ran reset_minimal.cmd, activeX install, FAIL

    I have now exhausted all options on the installer support docs and my user
    still does not have Flash installed. The user's local account is an
    Administrator and SP2 is installed with IE 6. Anyone have any ideas?

    Rob777777 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash 9 Failed to install, XP IE6

    Warning: The following involves the Windows System Registry. Editing or
    manipulating the registry incorrectly can result in serious system damage which
    may require re-installation of the operating system. If you are not comfortable
    editing the registry, then take your system to a professional. If you choose to
    proceed, then it is essential that you create a complete system backup and a
    Windows System Restore Point before proceeding.

    Please login as the administrator and follow these instructions to open the
    registry and navigate to
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

    1. Select Start.
    2. Select Run.
    3. Type: regedit
    4. Right-click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.
    5. Select Permissions.
    6. Select Advanced.

    What Names and Groups do you see listed here?

    http://www.adobe.com/go/kb400116

    Darren Guest

  3. #3

    Users Read This key and subkeys
    Power Users Special This key and subkeys
    Administrators Full Control This key and subkeys
    CREATE OWNER Full Control Subkeys only
    SYSTEM Full Control This key and subkeys

    Rob777777 Guest

  4. #4

    On the User account, are there any files here:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash?

    Are the user accounts on a domain?

    Are the users Power Users?

    Can the user access this key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.9?

    Darren Guest

  5. #5

    Hi Rob777777,

    ISSUE:

    After successful installation under the Windows Administrator account,
    Restricted User accounts are unable to display Flash Player content.

    The following solution involves the Windows System Registry. Editing or
    manipulating the registry incorrectly can result in serious system damage which
    may require reinstallation of the operating system. If you are not comfortable
    editing the registry, then it's best to take your machine to a professional. If
    you choose to proceed, it is essential to create a complete system backup and a
    Windows System Restore Point before proceeding. Adobe Systems cannot be held
    responsible for damage resulting from this information.

    The following instructions may help:

    For each of the following registry keys for Flash Player:

    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB70-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1171A62F-05D2-11D1-83FC-00A0C9089C5A}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{D27CDB6B-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}

    Right-click the key, select "Permissions"
    In the Permissions Dialog click the "Advanced" button
    Click "Add"
    Enter "Everyone" and click "OK" to accept
    Select "Allow" for the "Query Value", "Enumerate Subkeys", "Notify" and "Read
    Control" permissions. Do not change any existing permissions.

    Warning: Do not give Everyone Write permission on this key, as doing so may
    introduce vulnerabilities.

    Darren Guest

  6. #6

    Yes there is 1 file there, install.log... the contents are shown below and you
    can see where the error arrives just before the delete entries.

    Yes the account is on a Domain.

    No we do not use Power User accounts.

    Yes he has access to the key you mention, there is one value and 1 subkey with
    1 value inside it.

    Call: 397
    Safety Check
    Call: 79
    Call: 836
    File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=2,
    name="C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13.tmp\Us erInfo.dll"
    File: wrote 4096 to "C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13.tmp\UserInf o.dll"
    CheckAdminPermissions Name = bradg
    Call: 836
    File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=2,
    name="C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13.tmp\Us erInfo.dll"
    File: skipped: "C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13.tmp\UserInf o.dll"
    (overwriteflag=1)
    CheckAdminPermissions Account Type = Admin
    Jump: 111
    Call: 111
    Call: 37
    Jump: 74
    GetWindowsVersion -

    CheckSupportedPlatform - OS=XP

    Call: 403
    CheckFPPermissions
    Call: 37
    Jump: 74
    GetWindowsVersion - XP

    Call: 836
    File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=2,
    name="C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13.tmp\fp install.dll"
    File: wrote 8704 to "C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13.tmp\fpinsta ll.dll"
    ObjectExistsAndIsOwnedBySomeoneElse = 0
    Jump: 431
    End Safety Check
    File: overwriteflag=4, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="Flash9e.ocx"
    File: wrote 2987392 to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9e.oc x"
    File: overwriteflag=4, allowskipfilesflag=2, name="FlashUtil9e.exe"
    File: wrote 218496 to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9e.ex e"
    End Main Section
    Section: ""
    Start Post Section
    Register Player
    MessageBox: 12582960,"Failed to install.
    For troubleshooting tips, please see http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166"
    Call: 378
    Delete: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9e.oc x"
    Delete: DeleteFile("C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Fla sh9e.ocx")
    Jump: 383
    Delete: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9e.ex e"
    Delete: DeleteFile("C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Fla shUtil9e.exe")
    Call: 836
    File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=2,
    name="C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13.tmp\NS ISArray.dll"
    File: wrote 17920 to "C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13.tmp\NSISArr ay.dll"
    Call: 836
    File: overwriteflag=1, allowskipfilesflag=2,
    name="C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13.tmp\fp install.dll"
    File: skipped: "C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13.tmp\fpinsta ll.dll"
    (overwriteflag=1)
    Delete: DeleteFile("C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13. tmp\fpinstall.dll")
    Delete: DeleteFile("C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13. tmp\NSISArray.dll")
    Delete: DeleteFile("C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13. tmp\System.dll")
    Delete: DeleteFile("C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\nst13. tmp\UserInfo.dll")
    RMDir: RemoveDirectory("C:\DOE~1\bradg\LOCALS~1\Temp\n st13.tmp\")

    Rob777777 Guest

  7. #7

    values for:

    Users of the local admin group
    the user's global domain account and
    the user's local account

    So not only am I confused as to why Everyone would need to be added to make
    this work, but I'm also reluctant to add Everyone with Full Control to any of
    these keys as it may introduce a security risk.

    Rob777777 Guest

  8. #8

    I understand, trying to help you figure this out...

    http://www.adobe.com/go/624850b5

    Also, if you remove the Microsoft update 939653 does it allow the User to
    install Flash Player?

    Important Note: These online forums are for user-to-user discussions of Adobe
    products, and are not an official customer support channel for Adobe. If you
    require direct assistance, or prefer to contact Adobe support staff directly,
    please contact Adobe support.

    Darren Guest

  9. #9

    The user is out the rest of the week on business. I'll reply when he returns and I can look into this again.
    Rob777777 Guest

  10. #10

    I'm a reasonably smart guy. I I brewed a pot of coffee, printed out this
    thread, and spent an hour or two, i suppose i could do all the mentioned here;
    after all, i'm not a computer technition.

    My question is, how are we customers supposed to readily fix this mistake? Or
    better yet, should we be expected to do so?

    Or better still, just give us a simple way to fix the problem.

    HuksterV Guest

  11. #11

    It appears that I have the same problem. I used all the troubleshooting advice
    that Adobe has given and nothing has worked. I also followed advice on here and
    it has not worked.

    Under my registry, I have no
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB70-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
    to do the stuff on http://www.adobe.com/go/624850b5

    Any other help?

    bartman33 Guest

  12. #12

    Maybe this will help to find an answer to the problem
    I bypassed the ActiveX Control for Flash Player that installs over the
    internet and downloaded the executable Flash Player installer. The details of
    the download show

    Delete file: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\install.log
    Output Folder: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
    Extract: Flash9e.ocx...100%
    Extract: FlashUtil9e.exe...100%
    Registering: C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash9e.ocx

    And that is where it quits, and brings up and new window saying

    Failed to Install
    For Troubleshooting tips, please see http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166

    Hopefully this means something to somebody who can help.

    bartman33 Guest

  13. #13

    [q]Originally posted by: bartman33
    It appears that I have the same problem. I used all the troubleshooting advice
    that Adobe has given and nothing has worked. I also followed advice on here and
    it has not worked.

    Under my registry, I have no
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{D27CDB70-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1171A62F-05D2-11D1-83FC-00A0C9089C5A}
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{D27CDB6B-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000}
    to do the stuff on http://www.adobe.com/go/624850b5

    Any other help?[/q]

    Hi Bartman,

    Are you sure that you have the same issue as Rob777777?

    Flash Player is installed and works as an Admin, but not as a User on a Domain.

    If Flash Player is working as Admin, you should have these four registry keys.

    If this is a different issue, please start a different thread on the forums
    and explain the issue that you are having, including OS, browser?

    If you require direct assistance from Adobe, open a Support case

    http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/

    Darren Guest

  15. #15

    As far as I can tell, I have the same problem. Youtube won't play the videos. I
    tried a normal install from adobe's site, but recieved a falure to install
    message similar to rob7's. I followed the troubleshooting advice with adobe's
    support pages, just as rob7 has said he has. I have the same operating system
    and internet. I still cannot install adobe's flash player.

    bartman33 Guest

  16. #16

    [q]Originally posted by: bartman33
    As far as I can tell, I have the same problem. Youtube won't play the videos.
    I tried a normal install from adobe's site, but recieved a falure to install
    message similar to rob7's. I followed the troubleshooting advice with adobe's
    support pages, just as rob7 has said he has. I have the same operating system
    and internet. I still cannot install adobe's flash player.

    I'm going to continue to try and go through adobe's support, but it isn't as
    easy as asking for help installing a flash player.[/q]

    Hi bartman33,

    Are you also able to install and use Flash Player as Admin?

    If not, you have a different issue.

    Rob777777 can install and use Flash Player as an Admin, but it is failing as a
    User on Domain...

    Darren Guest

  17. #17

    I was having the exact same issue as Rob77777.
    PC running XP SP2 on domain.
    Restricted user account
    Insalled Flash in the Administrator account.
    Logged into resticted user account and flash was not working.
    Made user and administrator of the local machine.
    Install still failed.
    I found that the activeX control was disabled in the add ons manager in IE.
    Tools
    Manage Add-Ons...

    Brings up a dialog box and the Shockwave Flash Object was disabled. Enabled
    the object and it installed fine.

    Hope this helps!

    Help22 Guest

  18. #18

    Thanks for that info Help 22.

    We have had another customer post the following suggestion for this specific
    issue:

    "Flash Player works as Admin, but not as Restricted User on Domain"

    In the system registry:

    Allow SET and DELETE to the following key:

  20. #20

    I've done everithing you say. I'm administrator in the machine and still can't
    install the flash active x.

    The instalation stop on:
    Registering C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash93.ocx.

    Also, I cheked Registry and none of the keys were found.

    Any other sugestion.

    I'm getting a little bit disapointed.

    Is it possible that someone post a complete instalation procedure with all the
    details so that we can make it work?

    PFB2 Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast