Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash 9: Failed to Install tn_19166 - can't get it toinstall - Macromedia Flash Player

Hi, I've tried to install Flash 9 a number of times but continue to get the same error message: Failed to install. For Troubleshooting please see: http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166 (which is a dead link by the way) See my system info below. I also tried everything under tn_19166 and the info in the forum posted at the bottom of this post. Any suggestions on how to resolve the issue? Thanks, Chris SYSTEM INFO OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600 System Model Dell Inspiron 8500 Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2193 Mhz ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash 9: Failed to Install tn_19166 - can't get it toinstall

    Hi,

    I've tried to install Flash 9 a number of times but continue to get the same
    error message:

    Failed to install. For Troubleshooting please see:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166 (which is a dead link by the way)

    See my system info below. I also tried everything under tn_19166 and the info
    in the forum posted at the bottom of this post.

    Any suggestions on how to resolve the issue?

    Thanks,

    Chris

    SYSTEM INFO
    OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
    System Model Dell Inspiron 8500
    Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2193 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A06, 7/12/2004
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
    Total Physical Memory 512.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 143.99 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB

    ACTIONS TRIED
    01/15/2008 11:55:34 PM
    Reply | Quote | Top | Bottom

    Download the uninstaller for Flash Player from "How to uninstall the Adobe
    Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control"

    http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157

    Quit ALL running applications, including all Internet Explorer or other
    browser windows, AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, or
    other Messengers. Check the Windows system tray carefully to make certain no
    applications which might possibly use Flash Player are still in memory.

    Install the new Flash Player from here:

    www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

    Check to see if Flash Player is installed:

    http://www.macromedia.com/software/flash/about/

    Regards,

    Darren J. McNally,
    Technical Support Engineer, Adobe
    Flash/Flash Player Support

    cgmoore64 Guest

  2. #2

    I would like to hear a response because I am having a similar problem.
    aligator347 Guest

  3. #3

    I too, would like to hear a response as I did the suggested uninstall procedure
    the same as above. I am on a Windows Me platform and the install process just
    sits. I get the box for the video to play in but no video,so I assume the
    install is not successful.

    ob1_48127@yahoo.com Guest

  4. #4

    i HAD Same problem ....... wat i did was go to contoll panel / click ADD or
    remove programs
    / then i delte all types of flash player / it wont install if ur like say ,
    using it or sumtin / then i installed it and it work

    ... i have an xp compaq

    IdidntWantAccount Guest

  5. #5

    Yep, already did all dat. Didn't wrk.
    cgmoore64 Guest

  6. #6

    I am having the same problem! It is driving me nuts. I have done everything
    this website has told me to. my mother-in-law had the same problem and can't
    remember how she fixed it, so if someone could figure out this mystery it would
    be MUCH APPRECIATED!!

    kennydont Guest

  7. #7

    Please someone post a guide about this. Thanks

    KimiRaikkonen from http://www.qualityinsurancedirectory.com
    KimiRaikkonen Guest

  8. #8

    Hi,

    Anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve?
    cgmoore64 Guest

  9. #9

    Having the same problem.

    Using XP with Internet Explorer 7. My firefox works fine, but I need to get Flash Player working in my IE7.

    dr00t Guest

  10. #10

    Alright everyone, I have solved this issue. I hope it works for all of you as
    well.

    You must have administrator privileges to successfully complete these
    instructions.

    1. Follow the instructions to download the SubInACL tool from the Microsoft
    Download Center.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e8ba3e56-d8fe-4a91-93cf
    -ed6985e3927b&displaylang=en

    2. Install SubInACL.

    3. Download the reset_minimal.zip file.
    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/ts/doents/fb1634cb/reset_minimal.zip

    4. Extract the reset_minimal.cmd file to C:\Program Files\Windows Resource
    Kits\Tools\.

    5. *Important: Be sure that both the subinacl.exe and reset_minimal.cmd files
    are in the same location here: C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools\.

    6. Double-click reset_minimal.cmd.

    7. This will open a command window and execute the SubInACL tool.

    8. Do not use the machine while SubInACL is running.

    9. When it is finished you will see "Press any key to continue".

    10. Install the Flash Player from www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer.

    dr00t Guest

  11. #11

    I have this tool, and it did work once, then (probably after some MS update, or
    perhaps after installling Adobe Creative Suite) the player problem resurrected
    itself. I reused this tool which I'd kept in my downloaded files with no luck.
    Do you think I need to reinstall the SubInACL tool?

    Arrghmatey Guest

  12. #12

    I would recommend doing so. Let us know how that goes.
    dr00t Guest

  13. #13

    This message to Adobe Stuff:

    Does this problem happened from Adobe side or Microsoft side
    Because for me as developer ,it is not how to solve this problem for me,it is
    beyound that
    To how my application users will install the player again
    Since this problem touch the main core of our business when flash player
    looses internet spread and popularity

    Feras Darweesh

    fdarweesh Guest

  14. #14

    [q]Originally posted by: dr00t
[...]

    10. Install the Flash Player from www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer.[/q]

    Ok i'd tryed this way and it doesnt work for me ,after that I'd downloaded the
    uninstall_flash_player.exe from adobe
    and make the uninstalling ,after this I'd did your 10 steps and now it is
    working

    fdarweesh Guest

  15. #15

    I tried all the steps that you suggested...I still get the message "failure to insatall Active X control....Is this the same message that you were receiving ?:confused;
    jlici Guest

  16. #16

    It worked for me. I first uninstalled Flash and then went through the steps out-lined and it all works fine for me.

    Thanks,

    Chris
    cgmoore64 Guest

  17. #17

    If you?re having difficulties with the ActiveX installer on IE these steps will
    typically resolve the issue:

    Try this first: Instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling the Flash
    Player:

    1. First download the uninstaller to your desktop from here
    http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157
    2. Before running this uninstaller be sure to read the instruction and close
    all running programs.
    3. Open the following folder C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
    4. Run the uninstaller
    5. What files are left in this folder? C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash
    6. If there are files left, delete the Flash folder.
    7. Install the Flash Player from here: ]http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer
    8. Test the Flash Player here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/

    Also check your Internet Explorer ActiveX settings

    Browser security settings should be chosen by you or by your system
    administrator. For single users who do not have an administrator, the Medium:
    Default Level allows you to view Flash content. For any Custom Level, ensure
    that both the "Download Signed ActiveX controls" and "Run ActiveX controls and
    plug-ins" options are set to "Prompt".

    To change your security level:

    1. Open Internet Explorer.
    2. Choose Tools > Internet Options.
    3. Select the Security tab.
    4. Select Custom Level.
    5. Find the section "ActiveX controls and plug-ins".
    6. Set ' Download Signed ActiveX Controls' to Prompt.
    7. Set 'Run ActiveX Controls And Plug-ins' to Prompt.

    If you are having trouble, make sure that your Internet Explorer security
    level is not set to High or to a custom level that does not allow viewing of
    ActiveX controls.

    Finally, it may be that you have incorrect permissions in the system registry:

    To fix these Windows system registry permission conflicts you can use
    Microsoft?s SubInACL tool.

    Please download Microsoft?s tool to your desktop.

    http://www.supportflash.com/reset_min.zip

    1. Login as the User that has the incorrect permissions in the system registry
    2. unzip the ?reset_minimal.cmd? and the ?subinacl.exe? to the desktop

    *** Make sure both files are on the desktop

    3. Close out all applications
    4. Run the ?reset.cmd? file
    5. It will open a DOS like terminal and start running through registry keys
    6. When it is finished it will say ?press any key to continue?
    7. At this point you can download the latest Flash Player from here:

    http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer

    Darren Guest

  19. #19

    Fantastic. I followed your instructions and it solved my problem.
    Thanks
    BUZZ Guest

  20. #20

    Darren at Adobe,

    Thanks for getting involved on this issue. My Flash has not worked in about
    two months.

    I have followed all of your suggestions but still no luck. After performing
    all the fix steps and when attempting to install from the
    adobe.com/go/getflashplayer page I get a tn_19166 error message again. Also,
    when I ran the reset_minimal.cmd, which runs subinacl.exe in the registry, and
    I look back at what it did in the registry, the only message displayed over and
    over is (something like) "did not recogize subinacl as an internal or external
    command." Does this mean it is not fixing the registry problem?

    Please let me know if you have any other suggestions to fix. Thanks.

    ZooeyC Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast