Professional Web Applications Themes
  1. #1

    Default Flash content causes computer freeze

    I have an odd issue that I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere -- I'm hoping
    someone can help. My computer periodically locks up completely (total freeze;
    mouse and keyboard die -- hard reboot required), when I view Flash content.

    It's not for every Flash file, but it's also not any one particular file or
    website. Sometimes a Flash-based site (say, YouTube) will lock up the
    computer, sometimes it won't. And, sometimes I can go for hours viewing Flash
    content, other times it happens right away. But, inevitably, the computer WILL
    lock up. This occurs in both Firefox (via Flash plug-in) and Internet Explorer
    (via AX control). It also occurs using both Flash 9 and Flash 8 (I haven't
    tried version 7 or earlier). Right now I've uninstalled the players entirely,
    using the uninstaller. I've uninstalled the players and re-installed them in
    the past, which did not fix the issue.

    I use a Dell Dimension E510, Pentium D-based computer, with an ATI Radeon X600
    graphics card. Windows XP Home Edition, SP2. Any ideas? This is driving me
    nuts!

    Thanks.

    entanglebit Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash content causes computer freeze

    I am seeing the same problem as you. From other websites seems it could have
    been a video driver problem that ATI never got right yet. None of the solutions
    seem to offer a pernament fix. That's the reason while I was looking here,
    since it seems to be flash related in my opinion. I am glad to see you already
    went the route I was about to so I won't need to try that. I have also
    reinstalled SP2 but that did not make a difference. I am planning to go to a
    different brand of video card in the future for the computers I build and stay
    away from ATI or RADEON. I will also keep checking back on this tropic in case
    anyone else knows the answer.

    normance Guest

  3. #3

    i experience the same problem
    with both my video cards:
    the older one : nvidia gforce 2
    the newer one: nvidia gforce fx 5200
    what i noticed is that the computer freezes
    on flash animation according to frame rate.
    the computer supports the lower rate.
    i have upgraded all the components
    but the motherboad and the processor.
    i have pentium platform.
    i think the processor can't keep up with the
    flash animation high frame rate.
    recently some 3d games eg counter-strike
    start to freeze my computer
    with the new videocard!

    normance wrote:
    > I am seeing the same problem as you. From other websites seems it could have
    > been a video driver problem that ATI never got right yet. None of the solutions
    > seem to offer a pernament fix. That's the reason while I was looking here,
    > since it seems to be flash related in my opinion. I am glad to see you already
    > went the route I was about to so I won't need to try that. I have also
    > reinstalled SP2 but that did not make a difference. I am planning to go to a
    > different brand of video card in the future for the computers I build and stay
    > away from ATI or RADEON. I will also keep checking back on this tropic in case
    > anyone else knows the answer.
    dracones Guest

  4. #4

    For the record, normance and all: it appears this problem may not be
    Flash-related at all. I started to see lock-ups even after the Flash uninstall
    -- scrolling in and out in Google Maps, for example, which is not Flash-based.
    Dell determined it was a "system board" problem, meaning that the problem is
    located somewhere on the super-highly-integrated motherboard. Could be
    anything, essentially. So let's just call it a "Flash-inspired" problem.

    entanglebit Guest

  5. #5

    I have the same problem with some flash content. I uninstalled IE7 and didnt
    have the problem anymore. The IE7 issue was also in accessing programs and
    using windows (this freezing for a few seconds) once IE7 was unistalled the
    machine was back to normal. Apparently is how IE7 accesses plugins etc. I may
    have a faulty plugin affecting it. I did brute unistalls of flash player too.

    preston thomas Guest

  6. #6

    issue was resolved for me by clean format and reinstall back to previous setup.
    Guess that means for me, it was not a system board issue since I did this
    months ago and have experirenced no problems since. I also tried upgrading to
    ie7 before with no improvement, but after proving to be stable, I did the
    upgrade with no issues.

    normance Guest

  7. #7

    oh this freezing problem drove me crazy for many months whenever i install flash player and open texas poker game on Facebook i hear a voice like a click in the power device and the freeze happen and my system driver get incnsictent and damaged so restarting would not fix it cause the clicking voice and freeze happens again and it happen another time when am formating the pc and the system ask me to choose driver to load system on and to choose NTCF format for it just when am choosing what kind of format i want the click voice and freeze happen cause the drive is damaged and i believe it is something like flash players apps do pressure on many typs of computers hurting the drivers and cables or a virus that find it is way through flash player and some programs not safely downloaded from the net and abide and stick hard in the motherboard especially the place of it responsible for drivers partitions cause i need do driver deletion and formating many many times until finally the driver work again and no more voice and freeze happen it is like the virus been killed after many formats and after loading xp my computer ll stay in good state for many months only when i come to install flashplayer or some programs like last yahoo version or some browsers that the freeze happen. i use unapdated version of comodo browser it is ok
    misterlonely is offline Junior Member
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1