Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash Destroying Digital Camera - Photography

Hi: My wife and I have just recently gone completely to digital photography using a Canon D60. I was recently told in a camera store that you have to be careful what flash you use with digital cameras as an older flash model could destroy the camera. Has anyone had experience with this or know if this is true? We were planning on using our old Vivitar flash on the D-60 but obviously don't want to wreck the camera. Thanks Michael...

  1. #1

    Default Flash Destroying Digital Camera

    Hi:

    My wife and I have just recently gone completely to digital photography
    using a Canon D60.

    I was recently told in a camera store that you have to be careful what flash
    you use with digital cameras as an older flash model could destroy the
    camera.

    Has anyone had experience with this or know if this is true? We were
    planning on using our old Vivitar flash on the D-60 but obviously don't want
    to wreck the camera.

    Thanks
    Michael

    Michael Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash Destroying Digital Camera

    Hi,
    Buy a voltmeter from Radio Shack. Turn the flash on. Touch the two contacts.
    If there are more, try various combinations. Check the voltage. It
    definitely must be below 6 volts, preferably below 3 volts.
    Roger

    Roger Guest

  3. #3

    "Michael Neville" <ca> wrote in message
    flash
    want

    Somewhat true but really applies only to the flash sync. Don't remember what
    the voltage is but you can burn the sync contacts out using some older high
    voltage studio flash equipment.

    But if you have a D60 why would you want to use an old Vivitar. Spend a few
    dollars (around $250) and buy a 420 EX so you can take full advantage of the
    camera/flash ETTL functions.
    --
    http://www.bobhatch.com
    Our web site about RV Stuff

    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Before you use a flash you should be sure of the trigger voltage. Some older
    Vivitar 283 flashes for instance use over 300 v trigger voltage, and this is
    much too high for most digital flashes. Check the voltage using a volt meter
    and if it is under about 6-10v it is probably OK.

    --
    Thom Tapp - Kingston TN
    Church of the Covered Dish Cartoons
    "Michael Neville" <ca> wrote in message
    flash
    want

    Thom Guest

  5. #5

    Default Thom Tapp

    Hey Thom,

    I love your cartoons! I'm glad I found your website! :)

    In His Grip!
    NJ
    <><

    NJ Guest

  6. #6

    I use the Vivitar 132 AF-C on my D30 and it works fine. I bought it years
    ago for my EOS 600. Of cause no E-TTL-flashing !

    Marius

    Marius Guest

  7. #7

    You can buy the 420EX for under $180 on line on several websites - 17th St
    Photo, Adorama, buydig.com, B&H among others. I have read very good things
    about this flash with Canon products & plan to get one myself.
    "Bob Hatch" <com> wrote in message
    > flash
    > want
    >
    > Somewhat true but really applies only to the flash sync. Don't remember[/ref]
    what
    high
    few
    the

    Terry Guest

  8. #8

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:10:46 -0400, "Thom Tapp"
    <net> wrote:

    I wonder how you measure that. 300 v or so is the voltage on the
    capacitor, that you cannot measure witout and oscilloscope with a long
    persistence tube and the are as rare as hens teeth.
    In any case such voltage is internal to the flash and would not be
    anywhere near the trigger contacts as they couold kill someone with a
    weak heart :-)

    Borge.

    For your information, my stats are:
    Win 2000, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz
    1 Gb memory,ADSL
    80+40 GB of disc space,Oly C2100 & Optio S
    Borge Pedersen :-)
    Perth, Australia
    mailto:net.au
    remove SPAM for email
    borge Guest

  9. #9

    net.au (borge) wrote in
    <com>:

    Wrong. Amps kill, not volts. And there are far too few milliamps available
    at the flash cord or contacts to bother anyone.

    Anyone wanting to convert an old 283 to make it safe for digital cameras,
    go to my website for full instructions:
    http://www.mts.net/~agh12/

    Alan
    Alan Guest

  10. #10

    On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 04:50:51 GMT, org (Alan Heartfield)
    wrote:

    >Wrong. Amps kill, not volts. And there are far too few milliamps available
    >at the flash cord or contacts to bother anyone.
    >
    >Anyone wanting to convert an old 283 to make it safe for digital cameras,
    >go to my website for full instructions:
    >http://www.mts.net/~agh12/
    >
    >Alan[/ref]

    Have another read of Ohms law. Amps(current) is depending on
    EMF(voltage) and resistance. I = E/R

    As you see you will get very little current with a low voltage, but
    the whole lot is rubbish - the only place where you get some voltage
    to kill is the contact of the capacitor being charged by the
    oscillator. That means you have to take the flash unit to pieces. By
    the time you have done that most of the EMF will have leaked away
    across the capacitor insulation.

  11. #11

    Alan Heartfield writes:

    Additionally, the current must pass through the heart, diaphragm or
    brain in order to do any permanent or temporary life-threatening damage.

    Mxsmanic Guest