Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash/Director Nav button prob - Macromedia Director Basics

Whoo... I actually feel a bit better after venting on the Lingo forum about the pitfalls of Flash/Director integration. Sorry for all the programmers I clobbered at Macromedia. Okay here is the problem and THANK YOU!! in advance for the solution. I have about 40 separate presentation movies I am rebuilding in Director from Flash. Why? Well because the complex graphics were just over-powering poor little Flash. Anyways, I have the same Flash movie Navigation Bar at the bottom of all 40 movies. The buttons include rollovers and animation and blah, blah. The problem I am having is because the ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash/Director Nav button prob

    Whoo... I actually feel a bit better after venting on the Lingo forum about
    the pitfalls of Flash/Director integration. Sorry for all the programmers I
    clobbered at Macromedia.

    Okay here is the problem and THANK YOU!! in advance for the solution.

    I have about 40 separate presentation movies I am rebuilding in Director
    from Flash. Why? Well because the complex graphics were just over-powering
    poor little Flash. Anyways, I have the same Flash movie Navigation Bar at
    the bottom of all 40 movies. The buttons include rollovers and animation and
    blah, blah. The problem I am having is because the nav bar is the same in
    all movies, I decided to insert a transparent Director sprite over the Flash
    buttons with a link to the next movie which works fine. BUT the problem is
    the that the DOWN state of the Flash button is no longer available when the
    button is put to use. The transparent director sprite opens the movie fine
    and it allows for the OVER state image when the mouse is over the Flash
    button but the most important looks-wise is the DOWN state and this one is
    no longer available. If I take the invisible Director sprite OFF the button
    then re-play the film the button's DOWN state shows up great.

    What am I doing wrong guys? Any rec's?

    theo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash/Director Nav button prob

    Hi Theo,

    I'm guessing that your Director button's code has a mouseDown or
    mouseUp event but no mouseEnter or mouseLeave event. It also sounds as
    though your Flash sprite's member is not set to direct to stage.

    You could try to add a pass command to the Director function to allow
    the mouse event to pass down to the Flash sprite. May work, may not.

    If this were my project I would write a simple Flash function:

    (yourButtonInstanceName).onRelease = function() {
    getURL("lingo:changeMovie()");
    }

    and then in the Director movies in a movie script put:

    on changeMovie
    open (new movie name)
    -- or
    gotoNetMovie(url)
    end

    putting in the new movie's name or path as needed for each movie.

    --
    Rob
    _______

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/[/url]
    Rob Dillon Guest

  3. #3

    have you tried adding the pass message to your overlay handler, I don't
    recall if it works with sprite layering, maybe brute force solution
    would work.

    trans overlay script

    on mouseDown
    -- bla bla