Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash for D70 - Photography

<invalid> wrote in message news:supernews.com... [/ref] that [/ref] should be  > > It only does TTL with film cameras. The continuing lack of a digital > ring flash from Nikon is annoying and rather odd -- I asked about it > at Photokina, without any satisfactory response.[/ref] Yep, you guys are right. I missed that little "i" when looking at them. It's amazing that they are bundling this flash with the D70 medical and dental kits. I guess I'll stick with my SB-800 and bracket. Rita...

  1. #21

    Default Re: Flash for D70

    <invalid> wrote in message
    news:supernews.com... [/ref]
    that [/ref]
    should be

    > It only does TTL with film cameras. The continuing lack of a digital
    > ring flash from Nikon is annoying and rather odd -- I asked about it
    > at Photokina, without any satisfactory response.[/ref]

    Yep, you guys are right. I missed that little "i" when looking at them.
    It's amazing that they are bundling this flash with the D70 medical and
    dental kits. I guess I'll stick with my SB-800 and bracket.

    Rita

    Rita Guest

  2. #22

    <invalid> wrote:

    I sent them a note about it via their web site and got back a dismissive
    reply saying they would "forward the suggestion to engineering" or
    whatever.

    I get that a ring flash is sort of a niche item, and wouldn't be *first*
    on the priority list, but still, it's not like digital SLRs just came
    out...

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  3. #23

    "Jeremy Nixon" <com> wrote in message

    > I sent them a note about it via their web site and got back a dismissive
    > reply saying they would "forward the suggestion to engineering" or
    > whatever.
    >
    > I get that a ring flash is sort of a niche item, and wouldn't be *first*
    > on the priority list, but still, it's not like digital SLRs just came
    > out...[/ref]

    Well, you get right down to it, TTL metering is not the most essential
    capability of a ring flash. Lighting for close-up photography is so
    dependent on exposing for such a small area of the frame so much of the time
    that most of it is probably done manually anyway.

    C Guest

  4. #24

    C J Campbell <com> wrote:

    No, I suppose not, but given the choice, it would be nice to have.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  5. #25

    Jeremy Nixon wrote:

    Vivitar have low cost ring flash for various model cameras. They don't
    appear to have a digital specific model yet.

    ED ringlights are another alternative. Color is not full spectrum,
    however.
    http://www.dentalfotografie.info/sara-led-info-english.htm

    Alan Guest

  6. #26

    Jeremy Nixon wrote:
    ..
    Vivitar have low cost ring flash for various model cameras. They don't
    appear to have a digital specific model yet.

    ED ringlights are another alternative. Color is not full spectrum,
    however.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=305937&is=REG

    Alan Guest

  7. #27

    Well, I bought the Sigma. I just got it yesterday and only did a
    couple test shots, but it works great! I did a closeup of my wife
    within the range of the built in pop up and exposure was perfect.
    Then, I had her go about thirty feet away with a hallway behind her.
    Not only was she perfectly exposed, but the hall behind was lit up as
    well. Quite a difference from my old Vivitar that I used on my FG. It
    was stretching at about twenty feet. This one looks as if it will go
    sixty or better. I'm impressed and I got a good buy on EBay as well.
    Got it for under $160 with delivery and insurance included. Now all I
    need to improve is me. ;o)

    Kitt Guest

  8. #28

    On 29 Jan 2005 02:50:56 -0800, "Kitt" <com> wrote:

    What model? I'm currently using my SB23, which I used before with my film SLR.
    Trouble is, it only works in manual mode, and I have to adjust the exposure with
    the aperture. No automatic method at all available.

    --
    Chris Pollard

    http://www.cginternet.net
    Christopher Guest

  9. #29

    It's the Sigma EF-500 DG ST NA i-TTL EF500. Make sure you note the
    "i-TTL" since they have two models. One is only TTL and not i-TTL and
    is usually less money. I found the right one on EBay for $129.99 buy
    it now price, but there was $30. shipping & insurance. Still, at $160
    total, it was cheaper than I found it anywhere else. According to the
    Sigma sales pitch, it's the equivalent of the Nikon SB800 which sells
    for over $300. Even with the Nikon rebate (if it's still available),
    the Nikon is still about $150. more shipped. Here's the Sigma:

    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/flashes_flashes_details.asp?id=3257
    Here's the Nikon:

    http://www.nikonusa.com/fileuploads/pdfs/SB800.pdf

    Kitt Guest