Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash for D70 - Photography

Is there a significant improvement in using one of the newer Nikon flashes, like the SB300, over an older model like the SB24 with a D70?...

  1. #1

    Default Flash for D70

    Is there a significant improvement in using one of the newer Nikon flashes,
    like the SB300, over an older model like the SB24 with a D70?

    bmoag Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash for D70

    "bmoag" <apquiltspacbell.net> writes:
    > Is there a significant improvement in using one of the newer Nikon flashes,
    > like the SB300, over an older model like the SB24 with a D70?
    If you consider working TTL flash to be an improvement, then yes.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  3. #3

    "bmoag" <apquiltspacbell.net> wrote in message
    news:wHVBd.6247$yV1.1078newssvr14.news.prodigy.co m...
    > Is there a significant improvement in using one of the newer Nikon
    flashes,
    > like the SB300, over an older model like the SB24 with a D70?
    The D70 and Nikon's other new SLRs use a new protocol called i-TTL which is
    not compatible with the old TTL metering. i-TTL has several added features,
    including wireless networking of multiple groups of flash units, but the
    price is that the D70 will not work with the SB24. The only two flash units
    that have i-TTL are the SB-600 and the SB-800. There is no SB300.

    C J Campbell Guest

  4. #4

    C J Campbell <christophercampbellNOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote:
    > The D70 and Nikon's other new SLRs use a new protocol called i-TTL which is
    > not compatible with the old TTL metering. i-TTL has several added features,
    > including wireless networking of multiple groups of flash units, but the
    > price is that the D70 will not work with the SB24.
    Technically, it's not the price of iTTL; it's due to the fact that regular
    old TTL flash metering simply can't work with digital sensors, since it
    meters light reflected off the film. So they had to come up with a new
    way to do it.

    --
    Jeremy | [email]jeremyexit109.com[/email]
    Jeremy Nixon Guest

  5. #5

    In article <FaednR2g3eDu7UXcRVn-sQwavecable.com>,
    "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAMhotmail.com> writes:

    > The only two flash units that have i-TTL are the SB-600 and the SB-800.

    Will these flashes do TTL on my F90X? Will they function in a
    plain hot-shoe? Or do I have to carry two sets of flashes now?

    Gardner Buchanan <gbuchanarogers.com>
    Ottawa, ON FreeBSD: Where you want to go. Today.
    Gardner Guest

  6. #6

    [email]gbuchanaunixcomputer.net[/email] (Gardner) writes:
    > In article <FaednR2g3eDu7UXcRVn-sQwavecable.com>,
    > "C J Campbell" <christophercampbellNOSPAMhotmail.com> writes:
    > >
    > > The only two flash units that have i-TTL are the SB-600 and the SB-800.
    > >

    > Will these flashes do TTL on my F90X? Will they function in a
    > plain hot-shoe? Or do I have to carry two sets of flashes now?
    Have you ever read a Nikon flash manual? THe SB-800 one has a
    terrifying number of sections dealing with various groups of cameras
    and their abilities. I think you'll find it'll work just fine on
    anything it can sit on.

    Bruce Murphy Guest

  7. #7

    Anybody have an opinion about the Sigma EF 500 ST DG flash that has
    used it or seen it in use? They claim it compares favorably with the
    SB 800 for half the price or less? I see them several places for
    around $150 and the SB 800 is well over $300.

    Kitt Guest

  8. #8

    "Kitt" <com> wrote in message

    I am using the Sigma DG 500 super with the Minolta 7Hi and 7i it works great
    with full dedication, a very versatile flashgun. I should think the Nikon
    version does the same.

    Lenseman

    Lenseman Guest

  9. #9

    Thanks for the reply. I always buy things and find out later that my
    other choice would have been far superior. In this case, I can't see
    how, since the specs are so similar and Sigma seems to have a pretty
    good reputation for quality.

    Kitt Guest

  10. #10

    "Kitt" <com> wrote in message

    Does it give you TTL metering with the Nikon digitals? Even Nikon has only
    two flash units that do that -- the SB-600 and SB-800. The Sigma might claim
    to have TTL metering, but it might work only on older Nikon cameras.

    C Guest

  11. #11

    "C J Campbell" <com> wrote in message

    > Does it give you TTL metering with the Nikon digitals? Even Nikon has only
    > two flash units that do that -- the SB-600 and SB-800. The Sigma might[/ref]
    claim

    Taken from Sigma's web page:

    New "EF500 DG Super NA i-TTL" model is compatible with Nikon D Series
    cameras and D70 camera. "EF500 DG Super NA" is not compatible with Nikon D70
    camera.

    I think that answers the question. The EF500 DG range was updated in about
    August last year for specific use with digital cameras.

    Lenseman Guest

  12. #12

    "Lenseman" <plus.com> wrote in message

    > > Does it give you TTL metering with the Nikon digitals? Even Nikon has[/ref][/ref]
    only
    > claim
    >
    > Taken from Sigma's web page:
    >
    > New "EF500 DG Super NA i-TTL" model is compatible with Nikon D Series
    > cameras and D70 camera. "EF500 DG Super NA" is not compatible with Nikon[/ref]
    D70

    Well, that's pretty nifty. I see they also have an i-TTL ring flash, which
    Nikon does not even have. Now, is their wireless communication compatible
    with Nikon's?

    C Guest

  13. #13

    C J Campbell <com> wrote:

    I was seriously thinking about buying that, but then I noticed that the
    feature chart says it doesn't support flash exposure compensation, which
    would seem to render the whole thing pointless. I wasn't able to figure
    out if that actually does mean you can't change the output level at all
    in iTTL mode, but it puts me off trying it.

    That's a good question, too.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  14. #14

    "Jeremy Nixon" <com> wrote in message

    Get an SB800 or two and build/buy a flash bracket to accommodate them since
    you will probably get more use out of the SB800s than you would a ring
    light. I do a lot of macro and I was mulling this around as well and feel I
    will get better versatility with a flash bracket and flash instead of a ring
    light. Plus, you get to play with different lighting techniques.

    Rita

    Rita Guest

  15. #15

    Rita Berkowitz ~ <com ~> wrote:

    I've got a regular flash already. I'm the weird fashion guy who would be
    using a ring flash for non-macro stuff.

    But for $350, if it doesn't do everything, I might as well just spend a bit
    more and get a *real* one. If I have to use manual flash exposure anyway,
    I mean, since there's no compensation, then I might as well not live with
    the low guide number.

    (The power on that would be enough for me though, at least the 90% of the
    time I'd be using it with the aperture wide open.)

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  16. #16

    "Jeremy Nixon" <com> wrote in message

    If you have a specific task where a ring light will work best for you that
    may be the best way to go. The SB-29 does TTL so I don't think it should be
    a problem for the D70. I was considering this flash myself, but after
    weighing the pros and cons I went with a homemade flash bracket for my
    SB-800.

    http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=4&productNr=4719

    I decided to build a homemade bracket that worked out so well that I lost
    interest in the SB-29. Here is a pic of my homemade spring loaded flash
    bracket.

    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2003/eBay/Bracket.jpg

    I have a secondary cheapy slave fill flash on the left and the SB-800 on the
    right. The SB-800 flash is controlled with the SC-29 cable. This works
    great when I'm hiking and want to do macro, but is versatile enough that I
    can just flip the flash in the upright position for normal shooting.

    Rita

    Rita Guest

  17. #17

    Jeremy Nixon wrote:

    > I've got a regular flash already. I'm the weird fashion guy who would be
    > using a ring flash for non-macro stuff.[/ref]

    try calumetphoto.com and search for ring light

    up to 3,000 ws capable.

    search for ring flash and get a guide of about 45.

    both look like fun.

    Crownfield Guest

  18. #18

    Rita Berkowitz <com> wrote:

    It does TTL, not iTTL; TTL doesn't work with digital. Also, it's not a
    proper ring, but two lights, one on each side, tapering off on top.

    The main reason I found the Sigma one interesting was because of the iTTL
    support; if I'm going to always have to set the flash power manually anyway,
    then the field opens up a bit (including the ungodly expensive "real" ones),
    but I'd rather have iTTL (and only spend consumer-level prices) unless I
    were to become a professional again.

    --
    Jeremy | com
    Jeremy Guest

  19. #19

    This is what ed me up on my original post. I was seeing the TTL
    model of the Sigma flash for $150, not the iTTL version. From what I
    can tell, it's still under $200, but harder to find. I also spotted a
    $25 rebate on the Nikon version, so now it gets harder to justify
    buying the Sigma when the price difference is down to $75 or so after
    rebate. Decisions, decisions.

    Kitt Guest

  20. #20

    Rita Berkowitz <com> wrote: [/ref]

    It only does TTL with film cameras. The continuing lack of a digital
    ring flash from Nikon is annoying and rather odd -- I asked about it
    at Photokina, without any satisfactory response.

    Andrew.
    andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast