Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash in OS X is dog slow - Macromedia Flash Player

it dont matter what web browser i use in OS X 10.4.9 flash bog's down the web browser like its was being ran on a 90mhz machine. shockwave play's smooth as silk and dont bog the browser down at all. heck a P1 200mhz mmx running windows 98 play's flash games faster than what it does on a PPC 466mhz Mac. any site i go to that has any amount of flash in it bog's the browser way down what gives Adobe flash is not optimized at all for Mac and it show's when a P1 200mhz pc can play ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash in OS X is dog slow

    it dont matter what web browser i use in OS X 10.4.9 flash bog's down the web
    browser like its was being ran on a 90mhz machine. shockwave play's smooth as
    silk and dont bog the browser down at all.

    heck a P1 200mhz mmx running windows 98 play's flash games faster than what it
    does on a PPC 466mhz Mac. any site i go to that has any amount of flash in it
    bog's the browser way down

    what gives Adobe

    flash is not optimized at all for Mac and it show's when a P1 200mhz pc can
    play flash more smooth then a faster Mac can. heck i have a Celoron 500mhz PC
    running XP pro with only 128mb ram that play's flash as smooth as silk

    can this be resolved at all. can Adobe get flash to play properly on a Mac at
    all. come on Adobe optimize flash on Mac

    it would rock to be able to play a simple flash game smoothly and not act like
    you only have a 100mhz machine

    this latest update gave a little speed boost from the one before at least i
    can watch youtube at a some what playable rate and play some flash games if
    they are real simple and not allot of animation to them. but still its like
    playing them on a real slow computer. a PPC Mac running at 466mhz should play
    flash just as smooth as the Celoron 500mhz PC and not all herkey y and
    crappy like it is on a Mac at the same CPU speed

    im not here to flame anyone or any company or to start a argument. i am just
    here trying to figure out why flash play's like crap. the only way you will
    tell how un optimized flash for Mac is is by using it on a slower machine like
    a tiger supported G3 450mhz B&W only then will you see how crappy flash runs
    on a Mac.

    i dont know if its a waste of my time even posting this here or not but it is
    not right that flash is so slow on a Mac

    i only hope Adobe feel's my and every other Mac user's pain on how slow flash
    is. why does shockwave play so much better than flash???

    no matter how you look at it flash isnt done right on Mac at all please please
    Adobe fix it.

    like i said the best way to see it is take a PC running at 450mhz P2 or P3
    running XP latest SP and a B&W G3 450mhz running OS X 10.4.9 and play the same
    flash game with both the PC and Mac with the same amount of ram and only then
    will you see how badly flash is implemented on the Mac side.

    madmax_2069 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash in OS X is dog slow

    I agree with you completely. I have tested the FPS rate of my website-
    mvkpartners.com on my wife's Celeron-equipped Dell, which is 3 years old
    (running at 1.6Ghz), and the Flash animations are silk-smooth. Sadly, they
    play noticeably slower on my MacBook Pro (2.16Ghz Intel Core Duo with 2GB RAM).

    Given that OS X dominates the creative/advertising field, it's truly sad to
    see how Adobe can't make the Flash plug-in better optimized on the OS X
    platform.

    I am forced to purchase a Dell computer solely for the purposes of testing
    Flash, and I am very annoyed at the extra expense.

    This is pure rubbish.

    gordonf238 Guest

  3. #3

    agree; i've always noticed that flash is very slow on a mac. it is surprising
    since you would think that all the "cool" people on the web love flash and love
    their macs, but still put up with this. why indeed adobe?

    monstermash Guest

  4. #4

    [q]Originally posted by: madmax_2069
[...]

    [/q]

    :music;:rose;:sad;:rose;

    MOHAMEDWERY Guest

  5. #5

    Beside my Mac G4 1.8GHz with 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500 Pro sits an PC AMD 1Ghz,
    256MB Ram, GeForce 2MX and flash is almost double that fast on the PC maschine!

    I usually disable the Plug-Ins because of slow Flash.

    I really hope Adobe will be able to speed up Flash on the Mac, at least near
    the performance on the PC.

    GUI-Master Guest

  6. #6

    heh i love the fact my P1 200mhz mmx with 40mb ram running 98SE can play flash
    better than my Mac 2x faster ( heh not) this is just stupid. how is it possable
    that such a slow windows machine can outperform a Mac with a 2.5x faster CPU

    ever try youtube, myspace, any flash game site, streetfighteronline.com on a
    Mac, my god its horrid, this should show what adobe thinks of Mac users with
    leaving it so unoptimized like this

    every flash site is at-least 10x-15x slower than flash is on a PC.

    there is NO reason that a simple flash card game should max the CPU out in a
    Mac like this. its like this on PPC and intel Mac's.

    they have the ability to make flash run as fast on the Mac as it is on the PC,
    but do they do it NO. something is ed up here and i would love to know
    what that is and why adobe is not taking action in getting this fixed. could it
    be that they just dont care. do they run to fast of a development system to see
    the real problem flash has on a Mac. so what my Mac is a G3.

    there is no explanation why a G3 466mhz Mac gets worked by a P1 running at
    200mhz with 40mb ram in flash. this problem has been there since flash has been
    out on Mac. flash ed in Mac OS 8-9.2.2, flash s in any version of OS X.
    a simple flash add will bring any browser to its knees.

    why is it that its 2007 and flash for Mac is no faster then it was back in
    2000.

    come on adobe fix this problem, cause you are making the Mac experience very
    ugly looking to allot of people ( that is most of the Mac user base). shockwave
    seems to run allot faster than flash but it is still slow as hell compared to a
    windows PC.

    why adobe have you not even made the slightest attempt to make flash on Mac as
    fast it is on a windows PC. are you using emulation (like some one else said)
    to power flash in OS X cause damn it seems like it. hell, flash in VPC windows
    98 or xp on my G3 466mhz Mac is just about as fast as my Mac running flash in
    OS 9.x - OS X natively. that goes to show you that flash on Mac is so far un
    optimized it is for PPC or intel Mac running OS X.

    then on a intel Mac running bootcamp to boot windows XP flash play's flawless,
    so it isnt the hardware. its just adobe fine tuned flash to run on windows. and
    left flash for Mac OS 9.x and OS X on the back burner getting burnt cause they
    have forgot about us Mac users.

    i use to love playing this 3d flash mech game when i was on my celeron 500mhz.
    its unplayable on my Mac G3 466mhz.

    i can play return to castle wolfinstine on my G3 466mhz Mac and it plays
    great. most games that you would not think that will play on my Mac will play .
    and when it comes to a simple flash game it play's like its a dog slow system

    you need to stop worrying about adding new features for flash on Mac and worry
    about getting the speed up to the speed that flash is on a windows PC. is this
    a deal between you and microsoft to make flash on Mac run so badly. or what

    we want answers and want results NOW. i am getting quite fed up with this BS
    and how slow flash is on Mac and know that adobe can fix it but they dont.

    madmax_2069 Guest

  7. #7

    This is so frustrating! I have an iBook G3 466, it runs Tiger 10.4.10, iPhoto,
    MS Office 2004, it plays DVDs, but it cannot play a simple Youtube video
    decently. The mac version of the Adobe flash player it's a terrible port,
    Adobe: fix this ASAP!.

    :disgust;

    macpotok Guest

  8. #8

    what i suggest everyone to do is email adobe about this problem. and keep
    bugging them about this problem. cause this place is for user vs user help.
    this issue needs fixed in a bad way.

    so the only real way then to keep posting here is to contact adobe directly
    and explain to them your problems and what performance of Flash player is like
    on a much slower windows system. and provide proof.

    the only way to even get a response is to keep nagging adobe. and to try to
    get them to optimize flash for PPC and intel Mac's

    madmax_2069 Guest

  9. #9

    I've worked for some of the top internet companies for the last few years,
    including a multi-billion dollar retailer that uses flash extensively on their
    homepage; and since the release of flash 8, I've been appalled at the lack of
    support for the flash player in Mac OSX to address the miserable performace.

    Thank God for Parallels (as oppsed to my old solution of using a KVM to switch
    to my old 800mhz celeron box), so I can switch to XP to view my work online for
    testing - as my brand-spanking new macBook Pro just doesn't cut it when looking
    at my own website.

    Jay-Garrick Guest

  10. #10

    i got a reply from Adobe, here is what it said

    Thank you for writing to Adobe Technical Support.
    Regarding the performance drop of the FlashPlayer on Macs compared to
    Windows, engineering is aware of a slight performance issue with the
    FlashPlayer on the Mac. I would advise that you direct
    your findings to our engineering team so they can improve its
    performance on future releases.

    You can file this as a feature request via the link below:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

    he said slight performance drop ( heh yea right , try a major Performance drop)
    i dont know where to find the contact info to get ahold of Engineering to tell
    the anything.

    but if there was anyway to get this issue corrected it would be obtained by
    getting ahold of Adobe's engineering about the Flash player.

    i know that shockwave player play's allot faster than what Flash player does
    bar none, but still when compared to a older slower windows PC running them,
    both are overly slow and are system hog's on a Mac.

    madmax_2069 Guest

  11. #11

    Flash 9 was working good on my mac G4 until about a week ago, then it just
    slowed down, now it's horrible. The only change made was updating Firefox, but
    it runs slow in all browsers. It's painful. The weird thing is that i have a G5
    that I updated at the same time but it still runs nice & smooth. I wish I knew
    what was up.

    wsmoore Guest

  12. #12

    Madmax, please post back the case # that went with that reply. I'd like to
    track down that response and see where it came from.

    That said, if you have performance issues then it IS important that you open
    support cases via http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer.

    Flash Player support is email only, but if you feel the answer is inadequate
    do ask to be escalated. And I'll advise the teams to watch out for these cases
    and try to gather a few of them. But again it's important that you have a case
    open, with a case #.

    Once I have a couple of case numbers I can go to Engineering. Now, in a
    perfect world that would automatically fix everything. But of course our world
    isn't nearly that perfect. So all I can do is represent the cases when I have
    them and see what happens..

    Bentley

    BWolfe Guest

  13. #13

    Time passes and the problem remains Adobe: please optimize the flash player for mac users!
    macpotok Guest