Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash Nightmares. . .Access denied - Macromedia Flash Player

This all started rather simple. . . I visit a site of a client of mine that has a flash video that was not working on my Safari but did work on Firefox. It was suggested I try to reinstall the latest Flash Player. So I did and I got the "Access Denied Error. . . You do not have enough access privileges for this installation". Went to Adobe. It said to uninstall Flash, Repair disk permissions, restart and install Flash Player. I did all that and again I got the same Access Denied Error. But now when I go ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash Nightmares. . .Access denied

    This all started rather simple. . . I visit a site of a client of mine that has
    a flash video that was not working on my Safari but did work on Firefox. It was
    suggested I try to reinstall the latest Flash Player. So I did and I got the
    "Access Denied Error. . . You do not have enough access privileges for this
    installation". Went to Adobe. It said to uninstall Flash, Repair disk
    permissions, restart and install Flash Player. I did all that and again I got
    the same Access Denied Error. But now when I go to any site that has Flash, I
    get "Safari cannot find the internet plug in - "The page ?BlahBlah? has content
    of MIME type ?application/x-shockwave-flash?, but you don?t have a plug-in
    installed for this MIME type."

    I am now Flashless both on Safari and Firefox which is not good because I
    design flash into web sites and can't test them.

    I double checked to make sure I have permission on my a Home account. I tried
    reinstalling at least 3 times with the same error.
    I am on a MacBookPro 2Gigs and have CS3 Web Design installed. On a scale of
    1-10 in Computer Knowledge I am about 6.

    Your help would be appreciated

    Hypernikomen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash Nightmares. . .Access denied

    In some cases you have to do more than just repair permissions. The Technote
    you read also had some steps for running sudo to modify individual browser
    files. Those may be necessary.

    Another thing you can try (that I still need to add to that technote) is
    running the Flash Player 9 installer using sudo, so that you run it as admin...

    Try that as described on this blog:

    http://www.asserttrue.com/articles/2006/11/25/flash-player-9-installation-errors
    -on-osx-intel

    BWolfe Guest

  3. #3

    I fixed it using a work around that I got from a guy in the Safari Forum at
    Apple who had the same problem.
    He wrote:

    "Open a new finder window and locate the internet plug-ins folder, you'll
    see probably two, one in "Library" and the other under "Admin" if you find
    both, try to leave both windows open,

    Try to install Flash Player 9 and notice that there's some movement on those
    folders, installer will delete the older flash player to replace it with the
    new, but after installing the files it tells you about the error message, and
    when you click ok. it deletes the two files and closes the window.

    This is what I did:
    Before clicking on ok I moved the new files from the plug-ins folder to the
    desktop and clicked ok, after that I copied the files back into the plug-ins
    folder and it worked fine."

    It worked for me although I had to drag them to an external USB Memory stick
    so that it wouldn't erase them.

    Installing Flashplayer 9 using sudo is a bit beyond my comfort zone.

    Thanks for your input.

    Hypernikomen Guest