Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash Player 9 - April Security Update - Macromedia Flash Player

Hi, I am currently preparing a reccomendation for my employer as to how to prepare our infrastructure for the security update planned for the new April version of the Flash player. We run several business critical services via xml socket connections and it seems we will need to satisfy an XML policy file request on port 843 to ensure these services are supported by the new player. At the moment, I am suprised to see Adobe seems to be expecting everyone in this position to develop their own solutions to this, though some of the doentation they have released hints ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash Player 9 - April Security Update

    Hi,

    I am currently preparing a reccomendation for my employer as to how to prepare
    our infrastructure for the security update planned for the new April version of
    the Flash player. We run several business critical services via xml socket
    connections and it seems we will need to satisfy an XML policy file request on
    port 843 to ensure these services are supported by the new player.

    At the moment, I am suprised to see Adobe seems to be expecting everyone in
    this position to develop their own solutions to this, though some of the
    doentation they have released hints at a "policy file server".

    Is anyone aware of an official Adobe or otherwise licensed solution to this.
    There's a placeholder for a how-to here :
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/socket_policy_files.html but
    the content is conspicuous by it's abscence. :confused;

    If anyone's aware of a common approach to this, when the player will be
    released or how to obtain a beta version of the player for testing, please let
    me know.

    Thanks

    TomG

    Tom__G Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash Player 9 - April Security Update

    That is one of three articles that will be finished before the April release.
    In addition there are several new technotes.
    See my other new post for technote links.

    The most important thing is to really, deeply read the current article on
    Flash Player 9.0.115.0 security and socket policyfiles. It outlines most of
    what's coming (then the rest will be covered by my other post I think):
    "Security Changes in Flash Player 9"
    (http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/fplayer9_security.html)

    BWolfe Guest

  3. #3

    Like user Tom__G, I am also interested in any beta versions of Flash Player
    April release.

    The articles are written really well and explain what code needs to be
    modified. However, there is no certainty of compatibility with the Flash Player
    April release until I can install the beta version.

    It would be handy to have the debug version of Flash Player April release as
    well.

    plrgrs Guest

  4. #4

    Please can you point me in the direction of your 'other new post' which contains the tech note links?
    Tom__G Guest

  5. #5

    Sure. Thread title is:
    "ADOBE ANNOUNCE: Preparing for upcoming April 2008 Flash Player 9 security
    update"

    I don't believe there will be a public beta of this release. However, if you
    open a support web case and point back to the discussion I might be able to
    help. But I must have a web case opened and escalated through the support
    channel (So I can track requests and my time... thanks for understanding).

    BWolfe Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Bentley,

    I have submitted a "web case" here: http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal/

    Refer to Case #0180069089
    plrgrs Guest

  7. #7

    [q]Originally posted by: plrgrs
    Hi Bentley,

    I have submitted a "web case" here: http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal/

    Refer to Case #0180069089[/q]

    Got it. And I'm glad you mentioned it here, because it exposed a big hole in
    our internal docs (which is, the level 1 support guys have no idea how to
    answer a request like this! Should be fixed now...)

    BWolfe Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Bentley - I also rasied a case, is there any new on either:

    1) What date the content pending at
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/socket_policy_files.html will
    be published. Whilst we're developing our own enterprise policy-fiel server,
    any prompts from Adobe would be appreciated. I am suprised there's still
    nothing on this given the date!

    2) If a beta version of this (apparently critical) release of the player will
    be made available.

    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

    Tom

    Tom__G Guest

  9. #9

    I also have submitted a "web case" here: http://www.adobe.com/go/supportportal/

    Refer to Case #0180075855

    We have had a nightmare with the last player release and could do with a head
    start for the April release.

    Thanks

    WaaZ Guest

  10. #10

    [q]Originally posted by: Tom__G
    1) What date the content pending at
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/socket_policy_files.html will
    be published. [/q]

    I don't have a date for that article as of yet. Sorry.

    [q]Originally posted by: Tom__G 2) If a beta version of
    this (apparently critical) release of the player will be made available.[/q]

    We'll take this offline and we'll contact you directly via the webcase system.
    You cases should be escalated quickly. If they are not please let me know on
    this thread.

    BWolfe Guest

  11. #11

    Tom_g, what's your case Number?