Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash Player 9 INSTALL FAILURE on Intel Mac, OSX,Firefox - Macromedia Flash Player

My Setup : *Intel MacBook Pro *OS 10.4.10 *Firefox 2.0.0.5 FLASH PLAYER 9 FAILS TO INSTALL on MAC OSX using FIREFOX Relevant to my situation: [bullet]?I tried all the suggestions at Knowledgebase ?read all the areas in the Forum for Flash Player 9 installation problems ? phoned Customer Service + was told they did not offer support for Flash Player 9 cuz it's free ? created and opened a CASE at Adobe.com (unanswered) ? created a FOLLOWUP CASE (unanswered) ? sent private message (via the Forum) to Adobe Senior Support Engineer for Flash/Flash Player.(unanswered)[/bullet] [i]No responses. No solutions. No support. ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash Player 9 INSTALL FAILURE on Intel Mac, OSX,Firefox

    My Setup:
    *Intel MacBook Pro
    *OS 10.4.10
    *Firefox 2.0.0.5

    FLASH PLAYER 9 FAILS TO INSTALL on MAC OSX using FIREFOX

    Relevant to my situation:
    [bullet]?I tried all the suggestions at Knowledgebase
    ?read all the areas in the Forum for Flash Player 9 installation
    problems
    ?phoned Customer Service + was told they did not offer support for
    Flash Player 9 cuz it's free
    ?created and opened a CASE at Adobe.com (unanswered)
    ?created a FOLLOWUP CASE (unanswered)
    ?sent private message (via the Forum) to Adobe Senior Support Engineer
    for Flash/Flash Player.(unanswered)[/bullet]

    [i]No responses. No solutions. No support. Zip.[/]

    BACKSTORY
    4 days ago, I landed on a particular website which told me that I specifically
    needed to download Flash Player 9 to view some slideshow.

    I proceeded to download Flash Player 9, but when I returned to that specific
    website (as well as any other site using Flash, such as, oh, let's see,
    YOUTUBE!!), it tells me that I still have to download it, yet every time I do,
    it takes me through the same circular and exasperating process.

    I've tried uninstallling, rebooting my Mac, then opening Firefox and then
    downloading and re-installing it, but still nothing. Just a blank space in the
    browser where a flash movie should be, couple with the instruction that I need
    to "update Flash Player".

    I then went to the Knowledgebase area at Adobe, found the topic addressed for
    Flash Player 9 installation failure for Mac OSX. They gave 4 ideas, and none
    worked.

    I next called Adobe customer support and after finding no phone prompts to
    direct me to the correct support person, was told to press "0". With my credit
    card in hand, I breathlessly awaited speaking with a tech support person who
    would finally help me resolve this issue.

    Unfortunately, he told me that Adobe did not offer free or paid telephone
    customer support because Flash Player 9 was free. He told me to go back online
    to the website and create and file a "case", and wait for a response. I told
    him that I had exhausted reading and trying out the suggestions in the forum
    and the knowledgebase, and asked if there was anything else Adobe could provide
    that could specifically resolve a problem, which frankly, they created.

    He said, no, "good luck" and have a great day.

    I immediately created a "case" file at Adobe. This was 4 days ago. No
    response yet. I thus created an UPDATE to the case. Still no response.

    My last resort was to rifle through ALL the posts in the forum until I found a
    post from the Senior Support Engineer for Flash/Flash Player and thereby sent
    him a private message asking for help.
    No reply as of yet.

    I am so disappointed. I've never once had this kind of horrible online user
    experience, where a simple and basic download of a free and well-known brand
    product fails miserably, and then is further exacerbated by an even more
    miserable and benign tech support and customer service.

    I'm sure there are many more people apart from myself and those here in the
    forums, who simply don't have the time or the persistence to chase down this
    problem by going through the circular maze that Adobe has put it's users
    through, to try to resolve an issue which seems to be quite widespread, whether
    you're a Mac or Windows user.

    I am a new Adobe Acrobat Pro 8 user and customer and wonder if this is what I
    have to look forward to if or when I encounter a problem with the software.

    If anyone here can help me resolve this issue (Mac OSX + Firefox --
    latest versions for both)
    , I would greatly appreciate it~

    sheewolf Guest

  2. #2

    Same exact problem. Macbook. Firefox and Safari. No go.
    dmyd Guest

  3. #3

    Eureka! I have resolved the problem~

    Keep in mind, I'm just a regular layperson, so please forgive any instructions
    that may seem redundant or lacking in technical grace and articulation ~

    Here is what I did to resolve it:

    Prior to downloading AND installing Flash Player 9, do the
    following:

    [1] Quit all your applications and your browser(s).

    [2] Locate your Internet-Plugins folder
    You will find it here: Hardrive-> Library folder-> Internet Plug-Ins
    folder
    .

    [3] Then: Highlight the Internet Plug-Ins folder and do a Get
    Info
    on it (Command+I or Apple+I)

    [4] Click on Ownership & Permissions or on the triangle to the
    left of Ownership & Permissions

    [5] From the pulldown menu to the right of the words "You can",
    select "Read & Write"

    [6] Click on the word Details or on the triangle to the left of
    Details

    [7] From the pulldown menu to the right of the word "Owner",
    make certain that your name, or whatever the designated name it is, that you
    have assigned as the owner of your computer, when you first purchased it and
    set it up, has been selected.

    [8] Below the Owner section, you will see a pulldown menu to the right
    of the words "Access". From the pulldown menu, select "Read &
    Write
    "

    [9] Directly below the Owner & Access section, you will see a pulldown
    menu to the right of the words "Group". From the pulldown menu, select
    "Read & Write"

    [10] Below the Group section, you will see a pulldown menu to the left
    of the right"Access". From the pulldown menu, select "Read &
    Write
    "

    [11] Directly below the Group & Access section, you will see a
    pulldown menu to the right of the word "Others". From the pulldown
    menu, select "Read only"

    [12] At the very bottom of your Internet Plug-Ins Info window, Click on
    the button which reads "Apply to enclosed items...".

    [13] Close your Internet Plug-Ins Info window.

    [14] Restart your Mac.

    [15] Open your Firefox browser and go to the Go to the
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFl
    ash&promoid=BIOW and download the Flash Player 9 Universal Binary for
    Intel-based Macs (Option 1 for Intel-based Mac)

    [16] Once downloaded to your computer, proceed with the Install.

    [17] Quit all your applications and your browser(s).

    [18] Restart your Mac.

    [19] Open Firefox, and go to the
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/ to verify that you have successfully
    installed Flash Player 9.

    That's it. Hopefully, this works for you too :-)

    sheewolf Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Sheewolf!!!! This has been making me crazy the last few days! I think
    your solution is going to work. I've had to installed Flash everytime I
    restarted the computer in order to see the YouTube videos. I changed everything
    to owner like you suggested and restarted and it's working so far. I was admin
    before. That was so kind of you to take the time for us!
    Thanks again!

    geezerart Guest

  5. #5

    OH CRAP!!!!! Well Safari is working but now Firefox went out again! There is more to this problem. I hope someone lets us know because this is not good if you are a YouTube/LiveVideo Regular!
    geezerart Guest

  6. #6

    geezerart: check out the UPDATE i added to my ANSWER posted at the
    top of this page.

    I've inserted one additional step that you should do prior to
    attempting to REinstalling Flash Player 9 -- which is to:

    First UNinstall the Flash Player 9 Plug-In from your
    computer
    which is probably sitting in your Internet Plug-Ins folder as
    a result of previous (and failed) attempts at the installation of Flash Player
    9.

    Again, I'm no expert, just one chick who's figured out how to troubleshoot the
    problem with my own setup, but should anyone here have the same setup as
    myself, then this should in fact work.

    sheewolf Guest

  7. #7

    Hi,

    after following all of your advise, I then went to the TEST page and FINALLY
    the example videos are playing!!

    HOWEVER

    I still cannot view the webpages and content I coukld not view before. I
    don't get it. I was not previously able to view the sample page.

    Something caused this problem. I use to be able to surf unbothered on this
    MacBook Pro for the last six months - now NOTHING.

    TMCDesign Guest

  8. #8

    TCMdesign wrote:
    [Q]I use to be able to surf unbothered on this MacBook Pro for the last six
    months - now NOTHING. [/Q]

    I hear ya~ this is the first time I've ever had a disgustingly frustrating
    experience like this.
    I can't ever recall having to download a flash player that suddenly put me in
    a position where i could no longer view any videos online, only to go through
    4-5 days of utter B.S. weeding through tangent after tangent deep in the forums
    only to then discover that --
    for the first time ever -- i had to create "permissions" in order to
    "allow" my flash player to work. This is the kind of sh&t you hear about that
    Windows users have to go through. And it s.

    sheewolf Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    TMCDesign Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    THIS WORKED!!! BIG TIME!!!!!!!!

    FROM THE FIREFOX WEBSITE FORUM:

    PostPosted: Jul Fri 13th 2007 8:38am
    The settings in the Quicktime System Pref pane is different in the later OSX
    upgrades. In the pane, select the Advanced Tab. You will find a MIME settings
    button, click this. Open up each one of the settings. Two of them (Images, and
    Miscellaneous) have a selection for Flash. Deselect those two. After I did this
    and restarted Firefox, the problem went away.

    THIS SOOOOOOOOOOOOO WORKED IMMEDIATELY FOR BOTH SAFARI AND FIREFOX!!!!!
    YIP-FRICKEN-EEEEEEE!!!

    TMCDesign Guest

  11. #11

    i just bought my macbook two days ago. the whole reason i wanted a laptop was
    pretty much to animate little home videos but i can't get a program. i have
    tried installing and uninstalling adobe flash player 9 a bunch of times and i
    dont even get an icon, all i get is the install flash player 9 icon. i tried to
    follow you step by step solution but whenever i got to the plug-in info section
    where i have to select "read and write" under "group" i couldn't find "read and
    write". there was nothing even close to it. i'm really desperate, i must have
    looked on dozens of forums for help but your's seems to be the easiest most
    effective one. you may have better things to do but please help me! :( :( :(

    brandon Guest

  12. #12

    Brandon~

    I truly feel your pain! this whole experience has been a b!tch~ I don't
    know if you're a first time Mac owner, but please know that this is not
    an experience that Mac users are familiar with. Sigh.

    Now, I am no expert, so I can't promise you that I'll be able to resolve
    your specific situation -- however -- I've just reviewed my
    "Answer" post at the top of this page after having read the part of your post
    where you said you could not find "Read & Write" in the pulldown menu to
    the right of Group, I realized I messed up in Step 9 with a typo
    (my bad!); no wonder you couldn't find "Read & Write" in the pulldown menu to
    the right of Group; It's not there!

    I have updated the post and corrected Step 9 to read as follows:[/i]

    [9] Directly below the Owner & Access section, you will see a pulldown
    menu to the right of the words "Group". From the pulldown menu, select
    "Admin"
    .

    And remember: Before you start this entire process again, PRINT OUT MY
    INSTRUCTIONS POST
    -- and then proceed to follow the instructions step by
    step, beginning with UNINSTALLING FLASH PLAYER 9.

    Let me know if this helped. Fingers' crossed :-)

    sheewolf Guest

  13. #13

    thanks for the solution, before i try it i just thought that maybe you should
    know a few details. not that it makes any difference but i was already admin,
    it was a default selection. also, would you know if after i successfully
    install flash the proper icon will show up, like i said i only have the install
    flash player 9 icon. ok, i'm going to print off your solution. i really
    appreciate your help and i will immediately let you know if it worked. thanks
    again.

    brandon Guest

  14. #14

    i followed all the directions with no trouble, but i'm sorry to say that when i
    went to the test page i only saw the bottom video, i still don't have an icon
    either. i doubt that it really matters but i don't have firefox i only have
    safari. this is probably a whole new problem, but i would appreciate any help
    at all. like i said, all i really want this for is little animated home videos
    so it isn't the most important thing to deal with but it would make my day to
    finally be able to use flash.

    brandon Guest

  15. #15

    i am so close to fixing my problem and i have one more ( hopefully the last )
    question about flash, when i go into internet plug-in and click on
    flashplayer.exe i set it to open with quicktime. that doesnt work and i dont
    know what to open it with. could somebody please tell me what to open
    flashplayer.exe with? i know that if i can fix that then my problem will be
    solved. if anyone knows the answer send it to me ASAP please!! :S

    brandon Guest

  16. #16

    it has been a few more days and i still haven't solved my problem and can't
    find help anywhere else. i downloaded another flash file, and finally got the
    right package, i now have the flash player 9 icon in the dock ready to send me
    to the right program :) thats one happy note. but its still giving me problems,
    i double click on it and the icon just bounces once or twice and that black
    triangle appears. i go on file an click open and a window pops up, it asks me
    to type in the address (url) of the item to open. if anyone knows it please,
    PLEASE sent it to me :( i dont want to go through another day of this!

    brandon Guest

  17. #17

    I just upgraded my Mac OSX 10.3.9 to Tiger 10.4.10 In doing so my Safari
    browser would not play Quick Time. After reading the help section on the Safari
    browser I went ahead and installed QT 7.2 ... to no avail. Still wasn't
    getting any video on my Safari Browser.

    After googling some forum suggested I install Flash 9 ... still no video.
    Again I googled and found this forum and Sheewolf's post about to resolve the
    problem. Thank you Sheewolf ... it worked just as you said it would:wine;

    Aussiemom Guest

  18. #18

    Brilliant. I have a PowerPC Mac, but similar issues. Sure enough, it was a
    permission problem. By changing the permissions of the plugin directory, the
    uninstall was able to delete existing (old) flash plugin files and the
    installer was able to put the new ones there. Thanks to sheewolf for taking
    the time to post the solution - you saved me a lot of time and frustration!

    Paul Guest

  19. #19

    My problem is different but similar.

    I can install the flash 9 player on my new mac book pro, but I have to do it
    every time I use my computer. Every time I close a browser and re-open it
    (any browser) flash player longer works again and I have to reinstall the flash
    player 9.

    Do any of you have a clue as to how I can fix this?

    Thanks much.

    berklia Guest

  20. #20

    Outstanding post! Thank you providing the solution to what otherwise would have eaten up time for me to figure out.

    kind regards-
    stephen
    quietless Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast