Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash Player 9 not installing on Mac OSX - Macromedia Flash Player

Hi, I have noticed many problems and questions about the successful installation of Flash Player 9 on these forums over the past few weeks. I have read lots of them, and still haven't been able to find one that describes the issues I am encountering while trying to install. Basically, I download the installer, close my browser (I use Firefox), and then run it. The installer reaches the point at which it says that there are 4 more items to be installed, and then it just keeps cycling (the groovy blue bar keeps on turning) but nothing happens. Nada - ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash Player 9 not installing on Mac OSX

    Hi,

    I have noticed many problems and questions about the successful installation
    of Flash Player 9 on these forums over the past few weeks. I have read lots of
    them, and still haven't been able to find one that describes the issues I am
    encountering while trying to install.

    Basically, I download the installer, close my browser (I use Firefox), and
    then run it. The installer reaches the point at which it says that there are 4
    more items to be installed, and then it just keeps cycling (the groovy blue bar
    keeps on turning) but nothing happens. Nada - no messages, no nothing. I have
    let it go for as long as 45 minutes, which I know is futile, but have done it
    anyway. I have also tried to uninstall any previous versions of Flash Player,
    but the uninstaller does the same thing...just goes and goes, without doing
    anything. I have to force the installers/uninstallers to quit, then I read more
    posts about other people's issues, to no avail.

    I have run Disk Utility, twice. I am wary to do much more unless an expert can
    guide me in the mysterious ways of permissions and plugins and that fun stuff.
    Would anyone be so kind as to suggest a solution? Please? Thank you in advance
    for your help!!

    jj

    jdjette Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash Player 9 not installing on Mac OSX

    Hi jdjette,

    Instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Flash Player:

    1. First download the uninstaller to your desktop from here
    [url]http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157[/url]
    2. Before running this uninstaller be sure to read the instruction and close
    all running programs.
    3. Open the following folder: Library and Internet Plug-Ins
    4. Run the uninstaller
    5. Is there a Flash Player.plugin left in this folder?
    6. If there are files left, delete it
    7. Download and Install the Flash Player from here:
    [url]http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer[/url]

    Darren McNally - Adobe Guest

  3. #3

    Hello Darren,

    Thank you for the advice, however, it didn't work. I have gone through any and
    all plug-in folders and deleted any Flash Player plugins, etc. The uninstaller
    started up, and then ran without doing anything useful, until I forced it to
    quit. I tried the installer as well, a few times. It gets to 4 remaining items
    to install, and then stays on but does nothing. Now what?

    jdjette Guest

  4. #4

    Hello Darren,

    I'm having exactly the same problem as jdjette here. I've also tried the
    uninstaller (which locked up). I've also tried Disk Utility, installing as a
    root user, uninstalling Flash Player by hand and the PPC and UB versions.

    I'm running a G4 powerbook with OS X 10.4.10.

    Does anyone know how I can fix this?

    david445367 Guest

  5. #5

    Hi all,

    I had (have) the same problem on my G4. I think the installer
    searches all disk to find existing plugins. I noticed a "find"
    process when the installer runs. I let it run and finally worked,
    after
    an hour and a half.

    In the hope this will be useful.

    rchibois@gmail.com Guest

  7. #7

    I've tried it all. Darren's advice, Beowolf's advice. The only thing I ahve acheived is I am able to now see the test players on Adobe's site. Woopie. I cannot see anything else!!!!
    TMCDesign Guest

  8. #8

    I'm having the exact problem as others on this thread. I've tried every tip
    I've found on this forum, to no avail. I'm using a Mac PowerPC G4 running OS X
    version 10.4. My husband has a slightly newer PowerPC, and this update gave him
    no trouble. It must be something about this model that's giving people trouble.
    But, still, I hope Adobe will look into it. It's quite frustrating to be unable
    to view videos online. Grr.

    Nospamrocks Guest

  9. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    david445367 Guest
    Moderated Post

  10. #10

    Also meant to say that I deleted everything Macromedia related as well. Basically Firefox comes with a working verson of Flash so you can install it from that.
    david445367 Guest

  11. #11

    I was thinking about doing that same thing. (I was also going to re-intall my system, but never did that with OSX) I will let you know how it goes. will wait on re-installing OSX

    THANKS!!
    TMCDesign Guest

  12. #12

    [q]Originally posted by: Darren McNally - Adobe
    Hi jdjette,

    Instructions for uninstalling and reinstalling the latest Flash Player:

    1. First download the uninstaller to your desktop from here
    http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157
    2. Before running this uninstaller be sure to read the instruction and close
    all running programs.
    3. Open the following folder: Library and Internet Plug-Ins
    4. Run the uninstaller
    5. Is there a Flash Player.plugin left in this folder?
    6. If there are files left, delete it
    7. Download and Install the Flash Player from here:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer
    [/q]

    hi darren! i've done every step you suggested, and every suggestion i found
    around here, but nothing works for me. i can't understand why i can't install
    flash player on my computer. i'm using mac OSX10.4 and safari. every time i
    install it, i'm just redirected back to the download site. what should i do?
    please help!

    meco138 Guest