Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash Player 9r115 getURL() local - Macromedia Flash Player

We have developed an application to run online as well as localy. We have used the getURL method to execute JavaScript functions. Since the release of r115 it no longer works on our localy run application but continues to work fine on the online version. We are not hosting content on seperate domains and so the cross-domain policy does not come in to play, it is a simple SWF embeded in a HTML page that contains JavaScript functions. We have "allowScriptAccess" set to "always" and have updated our security setting to allow the content to run (we have built several ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash Player 9r115 getURL() local

    We have developed an application to run online as well as localy. We have used
    the getURL method to execute JavaScript functions. Since the release of r115 it
    no longer works on our localy run application but continues to work fine on the
    online version.

    We are not hosting content on seperate domains and so the cross-domain policy
    does not come in to play, it is a simple SWF embeded in a HTML page that
    contains JavaScript functions. We have "allowScriptAccess" set to "always" and
    have updated our security setting to allow the content to run (we have built
    several of these apps before) but since the release of r115 it's cactus.

    Since there is not an issue of cross-domain policies I am guessing this is a
    bug that will fixed soon by Adobe...please. Anybody else had this issue???

    WhatTheSamHill Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash Player 9r115 getURL() local

    I've had exactly the same problem. Player 9,0,47,0 worked fine, then when I had
    to reinstall a misbehaving CS3 web suite and subsequently downloaded the new
    player everything went pear-shaped when running the app locally. Again, it's
    getURL() talking to js.

    I'm having to delay the delivery of this project to my (very) large client
    because of this. I hope this is not because of the overlap of AS 2 code with AS
    3 security...

    Adobe? Hay-ulp?

    BronwynL Guest

  3. #3

    I'm also having the same problem. I'm working on a CD-based application, so
    everything should run locally. I really need Flash-javascript communications
    for various functions required by our clients. So far the solution given by
    Adobe is for getURL used to open a web address, not when it's used to call
    javascript functions. I've also added a trust file in the Flash Player Trust
    folder and set Always Allow in the online Global Security Settings but it just
    won't do anything. Adobe???

    haida Guest

  4. #4

    We're testing this. Other reports of this behavior indicate that it might be specific to IE7. Can anyone on this thread confirm or deny that?
    BWolfe Guest

  5. #5

    OK I answered my own question. Here are the results of my testing:

    1. I had an existing CS3 created Flash AS2 SWF that I posted to test the live
    use of getURL when this first came out. (Live is no problem. Only local testing
    is a problem). A button makes this call:
    getURL("javascript:fireFunction();");

    The corresponding function in the HTML then does this:
    function fireFunction(){
    //fire an alert for in-browser testing
    alert("function fired!");
    // launch a new window

    window.open('http://www.adobe.com','win','height=200,width=300,toolbar =no,scroll
    bars=yes');
    }

    2. For testing this on my XP box I added the following path to trusted
    locations in the Settings Manager:
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\escalations\cs3_getURL

    3. These are the results of my testing:
    Windows XP:
    FireFox 2 tested from URL:
    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\escalations\cs3_getURL\getURL_A S2.html
    -- no problem after adding trust file. Both alert and new window
    open.
    FireFox 2 tested from
    http:\\localhost\escalations\cs3_getURL\getURL_AS2 .html
    -- no problem after adding trust file. Both alert and new
    window open.
    IE6
    --no problem after adding trust file. Both alert and new window
    open.
    Mac OSX 10.4 FireFox 2.0.0.11
    -- no problem
    Mac OSX 10.4 Safari 2.0.4
    -- no problem

    IE7 is another story though, and this local getURL issue appears to be IE7
    only. Nothing happens when clicking the button. No security errors are
    noticed. But no javascript fires.

    I'm going to escalate to Engineering and see what happens. In the meantime (in
    theory) you can use externalInterface to make these calls. I haven't tested
    this yet though.

    BWolfe Guest

  6. #6

    I did some of my own testing around this. We are using IE6 SP2. I found the
    problem with the getURL failing silently only occurred when the flash project
    was published out as a FP9 project. We could take the same project and publish
    out as FP8 and run it using FP9 locally and the getURL calls would work. It is
    not feasible for us to roll this project back to FP8 as we are using some of
    the new features included in FP9, and so the best result would be for Adobe to
    release a fix for this.

    Since the project is running locally and all files are on the same domain it
    makes sense that the project wouldn't suffer from increased security. I also
    tried adding the filepath of the project in the trusted locations, but this did
    not work either.

    WhatTheSamHill Guest

  7. #7

    Engineering is still investigating as of today. So I don't know more than I
    knew on Friday other than that they've confirmed the behavior.

    The only workaround that will currently work is recoding with
    externalInterface.

    BWolfe Guest

  8. #8

    bump.... no news as of yet.
    BWolfe Guest

  9. #9

    Do you think that a new player update would come this week ?

    Thanks
    etopete Guest

  10. #10

    No, no new player update will be coming this week. In fact, I cannot comment on when or how this might be addressed at this point. Sorry.
    BWolfe Guest

  11. #11

    I would hope that adobe fixes this soon as this affects many of us worldwide
    who burn Flash apps onto CD for our clients; the great majority of them have
    IE7 as their default browser. We're already getting calls in from some of our
    clients telling us their CD's are not functioning.

    So my only solution to this is recoding all my apps ?

    Is the correct solution is changing all the getURL for the
    externalInterface.call function?

    etopete Guest

  12. #12

    Me too !
    When FP9 r115 and IE7 work together on local, the getURL with
    javascript/vbscript will fail !
    But, after my changing the register of Microsoft Web Browser (Microsoft
    Internet Control {8856F961-340A-11D0-A96B-00C04FD705A2}) from "ieframe.dll" to
    "shdocvw.dll", it will work successfully once in first page.
    And it still fail in subsequent pages.

    Sofax222 Guest

  13. #13

    So how does one go about converting a getURL() function to an
    externalInterface.call() function? Is it as easy as adding an "include" line
    and copying the contents of the parentheses from one to the other?

    JasonHolm Guest

  14. #14

    "So my only solution to this is recoding all my apps ?"

    I hope not, but I do not know yet. Engineering is actively testing. It's
    definitely something we introduced in some changes made in Flash Player
    9.0.115.0. Just not sure what their verdict is at this point.

    So your choice is wait to see what they say, or recode for externalInterface
    if possible.

    Sofax222, the registry key thing makes no sense to me. And doesn't seem to
    work very well. So I'd avoid that. It's our bug, we'll deal with it.

    Converting to externalInterface requires rewriting your code and republish the
    content. The externalInterface API is here:
    http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/00000340.html

    BWolfe Guest

  15. #15

    Converting to externalInterface still didn't work
    Sofax222 Guest

  16. #16

    Okay, I'm have Flash 8 with Actionscript 2, and I'm trying to use the
    'ExternalInterface.call' method. I've made a simple movieclip onPress function
    that used to use the 'getURL' command, but now it uses the
    'ExternalInterface.call' method to call a javascript function that runs
    the 'window.open' command to open a local html popup on the computer. Neither
    seems to work. Here are the basics:

    this.onPress = function(){
    ExternalInterface.call("popUp", "C:/...filepath to html page on
    computer", "windowName");
    }

    Obviously, "popUp" is the name of the javascript funtion (which is written in
    the html page embedding this swf AND in the source js file), "C:/... filepath"
    is the filepath parameter to be passed, and "windowName" is the window name
    parameter being passed.

    The basic javascript function is this:

    var winn = null;
    function popUp(filePath,windowName){
    winn = window.open(filePath, windowName)
    }

    What am I doing wrong? Neither the getURL or ExternalInterface.call methods
    will work to call javascript, and I've got clients calling in to tell me our
    software has stopped working. Am I passing the string parameters the wrong way?

    Mode Guest

  17. #17

    Hi,

    In an earlier thread it was suggested, "both methods (HTA and
    FlashPlayerTrust) appear to have stopped working."

    That's affirmative. HTA doesn't work either. HTA is not necessarily IE7.

    I haven't tested HTA with IE6 installed. Most likely it is not affected, I
    reckon. Would it help if I tested it?

    The earlier thread also said, "Keep up the good work!" I second that.

    bnicer Guest

  18. #18

    OK, after further experimentation with the Flash Player r115 I have been able
    to isolate the problem I am having, and it is definitely a problem with the
    player.

    As previously reported the I am experiencing the problem with Flash Player 9
    r115 & IE6 sp2 and getURL when trying to execute Javascript on a local file
    system.I have discovered the problem exists when running content within a
    frameset. All files are running in the same folder on the same drive but getURL
    does fail when the page that the flash file is on is run within a frameset. To
    see the conclusive evidence download this simple flash file.

    www.omniap.com/downloads/geturl-flash9r115-240108.zip (9kb)

    As you can see with this example the flash file calls a javascript function
    which simply alerts some text to the screen. When run outside of the frameset
    this works fine, however when the page is included as a frame in a frameset,
    the getURL fails. This is the case on local files systems only and works fine
    online. Please Adobe, fix this.

    WhatTheSamHill Guest

  19. #19

    Does anyone know if adobe is working on fixing this, and some sort of ETA?

    This is killing us...
    itairaz Guest

  20. #20

    This issue is 100% because of updates in the v9.0.115.0 Flash Player. Flash
    Player v9.0.47.0 is fine. The issue occurs in both IE6 and IE7. The issue
    occurs in content played locally, where the getURL(); function is calling
    JavaScript and the Flash <object> is within a Frame. The issue does not occur
    when the same content is played through a web-based network / web server...
    only for local content.

    The problem - at least from a Flash Developer or End-User perspective - has
    nothing to do with files being trusted (or not trusted), or the
    AllowScriptAccess parameter.

    Ultimately, the solution will have to come from Adobe with a patch / fix / new
    player release. For me, the developer, the immediate solution is to either
    simply not use the v9.0.115.0 release and wait for the updated release that
    will resolve the issue, or play the content from my local web server (IIS,
    Apache, etc.)

    Since we have control over my end-users Flash Player version, and in any case
    they will not view the content locally (It's only my team and I who are
    affected.), I choose to rollback to v9.0.47.0 and wait for Adobe.

    Adobe, please place a high priority on this issue.

    CBT Guest

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast