Professional Web Applications Themes

flash player and Firefox - Macromedia Flash Player

Greetings I've just installed the new flash player - but when I visit macromedia.com I cant see any Flash content - where there is meant to be flash there is just nothing. And then it crashed Firefox. Not off to a good start with Flash Player 8....

  1. #1

    Default flash player and Firefox

    Greetings

    I've just installed the new flash player - but when I visit macromedia.com I
    cant see any Flash content - where there is meant to be flash there is just
    nothing.

    And then it crashed Firefox.

    Not off to a good start with Flash Player 8.

    Anton_FA2 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: flash player and Firefox

    I'm having this exact same problem. I installed version 8 through the
    "Underworld: Evolution" website, and since then, I haven't been able to see any
    flash applications on any website. I tried uninstalling and installing version
    7, but it still doesn't work.

    jainadurron Guest

  3. #3

    I was having the same problems, too. I uninstalled Flash Player 8 using the
    uninstaller supplied here:
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14157[/url]

    Then reinstalled the Flash 7 plugin for Firefox. Everything works fine now.
    Good luck!

    Teyebe Guest

  4. #4

    I encountered the exact same problem. But reverting to Flash 7 doesn't exactly solve the problem. We need a working version of Flash 8 for FireFox!
    Tsion Guest

  5. #5

    Can you give me more deatil about the version of Firefox you are using? I have
    tested this on Firefox 1.0.3 and 1.0.6 and get no crashing at all. Also, what
    installer did you use, the Player Download Center or the MSI installer?

    ---
    Regards,

    Jason Wylie
    Senior Support Engineer
    Macromedia Technical Support
    Flash Player, Flash, Central

    -- Please limit replies to newsgroup only, for the benefit of the community --

    _jasonWylie Guest

  6. #6

    I'm using Windows XP, Firefox 1.0.6, and downloaded from the "Get Flash Player" page: [url]http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash[/url]
    Tsion Guest

  7. #7

    Normally when Flash Content does not appear it is due to a firewall or browser
    setting. Macromedia.com has a default JPG to act as a placeholder for the
    Flash Movie if the Player isn't found or if JavaScript is disabled. One thing
    I would ensure is you have the SWF file format Enabled in your Firefox browser.
    You can do this by going to Tools > Options > Downloads (on the bottom right
    there is a Plug-ins Button) Plug-ins and scroll down until you see the SWF file
    format and a check or a Dot beside the name, you want to ensure this is a Check.

    ---

  8. #8

    Tsion, did you use the uninstaller I linked to above?

    I tried reverting and it didn't work. I had to run the uninstaller, then
    reinstall the Flash 7 plugin.

    I also use Firefox 1.0.6 & WinXP.

    (I happen to work at Sony Pictures Digital, so I've let the web QA team know
    about the issue with the Underworld site. That's where I encountered it as
    well.)

    Teyebe Guest

  9. #9

    Okay reviewed this and other forms about this issue. There is an issue with
    Flashplayer 8 and Firefox 1.06!

    I found a copy of 7.0, and performed a uninstall (using the unistaller
    mentioned above).

    Afterwards, installed 7.0 and all is back to normal, I can successfully view
    Flash within Firefox 1.06.

    Astrotrain Guest

  10. #10

    And BTW, I am using Windows XP Pro w/ SP2
    Astrotrain Guest

  11. #11

    Same problem here. Firefox 1.06 and Flash 8. I'll try the uninstall mentioned above. Where does one get a copy of the Flash 7 player?
    greeze Guest

  12. #12

    Hi, I'm using the latest verison on Firefox and latest Flash player and cant see any flash on any site.

    whats the problem?
    SterlingDK Guest

  13. #13

    where can I get a copy of v7, and why is MM still offer v8 if it doesnt work with Fx?
    SterlingDK Guest

  14. #14

    By chance on Firefox do you have the Adblcok Extension installed with Object
    Tagging Enabled?

    In the past have you had an image with a tag you could click on that said
    Adblock?

    For that option on Firefox prevents Flash 8 Player from playing in Mozilla
    Firefox.
    If that option is disabled, it will allow Flash Content to be played/seen.

    Thanks

    nascarrainbows Guest

  15. #15

    Originally posted by: nascarrainbows
    By chance on Firefox do you have the Adblcok Extension installed with Object
    Tagging Enabled?

    In the past have you had an image with a tag you could click on that said
    Adblock?

    For that option on Firefox prevents Flash 8 Player from playing in Mozilla
    Firefox.
    If that option is disabled, it will allow Flash Content to be played/seen.

    Thanks

    Thanks for posting that! I just disabled Obj-tag and I can now see Flash
    animations in webpages!
    I'm still using 7, though. Will try 8 when its more reliable. THANKS

    daddybearsboy Guest

  16. #16

    You're welcome.

    For those that want to use Flash 8 with the Adblock extension. If there is an
    ad you want to block with object tagging disabled. When you see an ad you want
    to block. Go to the Adblock Option and click on Overlay Flash. Then on some
    images you can left click on the word Flashblock. If that doesn't show up, you
    can then right click the image and choose to block it.

    nascarrainbows Guest

  17. #17

    Jason,

    I'm having the same problem with the new Flash Player (8.0.22.0) using the
    Mozilla Application Suite ("Mozilla") 1.7.11. I'm running Windows XP + SP2;
    Flash Player installs correctly, as can be seen on about:plugins in Mozilla:

    File name: NPSWF32.dll
    Shockwave Flash 8.0 r22
    MIME Type Description Suffixes Enabled
    application/x-shockwave-flash Macromedia Flash movie swf Yes
    application/futuresplash FutureSplash movie spl Yes

    No flash content is actually shown. Everything worked fine with Flash Player
    7; since I didn't change anything else, the problem must be in the new Flash
    Player.

    I'll be installing Flash Player 7 again now, but it'd be nice if you could
    look into this.

    willshearer Guest

  18. #18

    I've got the same problem, but i CAN load local .swf files with firefox (using flash 8 and firefox 1.07)
    UnduTheGun Guest

  19. #19

    Here you go...[url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_14266[/url]
    baker950 Guest

  20. #20

    *shakes head*

    Add mine to the list. I noticed that Flash wasn't working in Firefox 1.5 Beta
    1, installed Flash 8, still got no Flash, then rolled back to 1.0.7 on XP Home
    SP2, and STILL no flash. Not even after complete uninstall of flash and
    browser, and reinstall.

    And just for _jasonWylie: I turned off all firewalling on my browser, and
    went to tvguide.com's listing page. Which up until Flash 8 worked JUST FINE. So
    it is /not/ the firewall settings. It's the player.

    CWhitaker Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast