Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash Player install problem - Macromedia Flash Player

I had Flash Player working fine in Opera and Firefox, but not in IE. So I tried to install the latest version and got a window to say "the following applications need to be closed" and "Compuserve" was listed. I don't have a program called Compuserve on my system and anyway, there were no apps running. My guess is that it must be one of the processes, but which I don't know. Could it be a virus/trojan that has sneaked past AVG, Spyewareblaster and Spybot? Any help appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default Flash Player install problem

    I had Flash Player working fine in Opera and Firefox, but not in IE. So I
    tried to install the latest version and got a window to say "the following
    applications need to be closed" and "Compuserve" was listed. I don't have a
    program called Compuserve on my system and anyway, there were no apps running.
    My guess is that it must be one of the processes, but which I don't know.
    Could it be a virus/trojan that has sneaked past AVG, Spyewareblaster and
    Spybot? Any help appreciated.

    NotGarbanzo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash Player install problem

    If you installed the legitimate Flash Player activeX control installer from
    http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer then no, we wouldn't be looking for
    Compuserve.

    Now, I have seen one or two sites spoofing the Flash Player installer for
    malicious purposes. If it doesn't come from Adobe.com it's not necessarily
    safe. But that isn't necessarily the problem either.

    If at some point Compuserve (which is a very legitimate and venerable BBS that
    became a big ISP similar to AOL..) may have been on your machine and installed
    some type of dialer application for dialup connections. Look in add/remove
    programs to see if you have any compuserve related entries. If there's
    nothing there look in processes.

    If you still don't find anything.. well then I'm not sure where to go next.

    BWolfe Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks BWolfe.

    Both the original Flash Player I had installed and the attempted update were
    the genuine article.

    I searched my machine for any file with Compuserve in the filename any exe
    files that contained the string "Compuserve" and came up with nothing.

    I've never used Compuserve and I couldn't see anything in processes that
    clearly relates to compuserve. I'm not too kee on just ending processes if I
    don't know what they are.

    Would Flash Player install in safe mode I wonder? Maybe that might get round
    the problem, though of course, that doesn't solve the presence of this
    so-called Compuserve on my system.

    NotGarbanzo Guest

  4. #4

    Grab the EXE version of the installer from this technote:
    http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_19166

    Unzip the .zip file to get the EXE, then try that in safe mode. Should run..
    BWolfe Guest

  5. #5

    Installing in safe mode as you suggested did the trick! Seem to be having problems with Opera now instead!
    NotGarbanzo Guest