Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash player not detected since latest update? - Macromedia Flash Player

This morning when I logged onto my machine, I was notified that there was an update to the Adobe Flash Player. I went ahead and let it install. Afterward, I went to a website to do some work, but found when I got there that the site's flash player detection code was failing, and I was provided with a link to download the latest version. So, I went to Adobe's site and ran the install again, and it went to the screen where the little flash movie pops up to show that the install was successful. However, upon returning to ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash player not detected since latest update?

    This morning when I logged onto my machine, I was notified that there was an
    update to the Adobe Flash Player. I went ahead and let it install. Afterward,
    I went to a website to do some work, but found when I got there that the site's
    flash player detection code was failing, and I was provided with a link to
    download the latest version. So, I went to Adobe's site and ran the install
    again, and it went to the screen where the little flash movie pops up to show
    that the install was successful. However, upon returning to the website I
    originally came from, it was still not detecting the Flash Player! I went
    directly to Adobe's website, and even their front page isn't detecting the
    flash player, as it put me at an static version of the site. I tried going
    into the control panel page for the Flash Player, due to reading a forum post
    here saying there was som cab file thing I might need to mess with to fix this
    problem, but the control panel page just notifies me that I need to download
    the player. When even the creator's home page doesn't recognize that I've
    installed its product, that seems like a serious problem to me. I've gone to a
    number of other sites with heavy flash content, and 95% of them told me to
    download the latest version of the Flash Player. I think something about the
    player's detection process is broken. I even completely uninstalled the player
    and reinstalled it from scratch, and it's still not working. Any ideas?

    Wil Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash player not detected since latest update?

    I have been having this same problem for a few weeks now and it is getting irritating. I even tried uninstalling flash player and reinstalling with no prevail. What is going on?
    britnyscc Guest

  3. #3

    Try this! -> Un-install BitComet!
    Prayut Guest

  4. #4

    This problem is not limited to IE7. I have been experiencing the same behavior
    in IE6 running on XP SP2. Behavior showed up right after an Adobe update notice
    that I opted to install.

    I too have reinstalled and restarted, uninstalled then reinstalled and
    restarted, without resolution.

    Most sites are not recognizing the installation of the Flash plug-in on my
    box. The interesting site is cnn.com where it's detection routines tell me
    this: You are currently using Flash Player 0.To me this "smells" like the last
    Adobe update is not updating the registry correctly or there is some init file
    that has an improper version in it.

    Either way this is VERY frustrating!

    ADOBE SUPPORT PLEASE DIAGNOSE AND RESPOND!

    krmkarlm Guest

  5. #5

    After JUST posting the above message i found another thread on this site that
    is focusing on the same problem. I found a solution in that thread that worked
    with a few mods for XP. Again I am running XP SP2 and IE6.

    Here's the solution as posted, I think for a Vista user that was experiencing
    the same behavior from Flash:

    1. Go to WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash and find uninstaller
    2. After you run uninstaller the "Flash" folder should disappear itself...if
    not, you manually delete it
    3. Install the flash player again with the file you download from adobe
    http://www.adobe.com/go/full_flashplayer_win_msi

    I followed step 1, but the only uninstaller i could find in the Flash folder
    was an unistaller for the Flash9.ocx, so i ran it. It however did NOT delete
    the Flash folder itself, so i did what step 2 recommended and deleted the Flash
    folder altogether. Then I went to Adobe's site at
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFl
    ash and downloaded the Flash9 installer, ran it, and bingo! Flash works again.

    Karl
    "Never eschew the obvious just because it is obvious!"

    krmkarlm Guest

  6. #6

    [q]Originally posted by: Prayut
    Try this! -> Un-install BitComet![/q]