Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash Player not updating - Macromedia Flash Player

I tried downloading Flash Player 9...it went through the whole install process - said it was sucessful. However, Flash Player 8 still seems to open when trying to view files. I cannot find player 9 any where at all, but when I go to Add/Remove Programs it appears as an installed program. Any ideas where I can find the player or why it has not upgraded?...

  1. #1

    Default Flash Player not updating

    I tried downloading Flash Player 9...it went through the whole install process
    - said it was sucessful. However, Flash Player 8 still seems to open when
    trying to view files. I cannot find player 9 any where at all, but when I go
    to Add/Remove Programs it appears as an installed program. Any ideas where I
    can find the player or why it has not upgraded?

    twilight Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash Player not updating

    Which browser and OS?
    BWolfe Guest

  3. #3

    IE 7...and XP Professional
    twilight Guest

  4. #4

    it won't upgrade. it leaves the old versions. you'll need uninstall_flash_player.exe to uninstall any previous versions, then run your installer for the latest version.
    richjones98 Guest

  5. #5

  6. #6

    Ok thanks...will try that
    twilight Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks richjones98,

    Including the download link for the uninstaller:

    Download the uninstaller for Flash Player from "How to uninstall the Adobe
    Flash Player plug-in and ActiveX control"

    http://www.adobe.com/go/tn_14157

    Quit ALL running applications, including all Internet Explorer or other
    browser windows, AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, or
    other Messengers. Check the Windows system tray carefully to make certain no
    applications which might possibly use Flash Player are still in memory.

    Run the uninstaller.

    Darren Guest

  8. #8

    After you run the uninstaller

    Check the following folder

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

    Are there any files left in this folder?

    Darren Guest

  9. #9

    I am encountering the similar problem. I have installed the latest player
    version 9, but it kept using the version 7 player to open my swf file.

    My situation is : I have several flash software installed in my PC, like flash
    5, flash 8 and flash MX 2004.. But everytime I tried to open an swf file, it
    will auto pick the flash player 7. I am really having an headache about it.

    what should I do to solve the problem?

    P.S. this is not my thread, I just found out I have the similar question so I
    raise my problem here.. sorry if I should do it here.

    cutesos Guest

  10. #10

    Sounds like you're having a little different problem. You need to uninstall
    the old Flash Player versions then install the latest. The installer doesn't
    automatically remove or upgrade previous versions :-(

    richjones98 Guest

  11. #11

    After you run the uninstaller

    Check the following folder

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash

    Are there any files left in this folder?

    It there are any flash.ocx files left in this folder, they may be locked. Let
    me know and I'll help you unclock them.

    Darren Guest