Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash Player Performs Poorly for Win2003 Terminal ServerClients - Macromedia Flash Player

We are currently experiencing problems viewing websites which contain large amounts of Flash content or Flash animation on our Win2003 Terminal Server Clients. When a website is opened containing Flash content with a terminal server client, users are experiencing severe lag and almost complete loss of keyboard and mouse control. Upon running network monitoring software, we have discovered that terminal server clients are using as much as 10Mb of bandwidth whilst viewing sites containing large amounts of Flash content. During normal use, most of our terminal server clients are using no more than 45-50Kb of bandwidth. As most of our ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash Player Performs Poorly for Win2003 Terminal ServerClients

    We are currently experiencing problems viewing websites which contain large
    amounts of Flash content or Flash animation on our Win2003 Terminal Server
    Clients.

    When a website is opened containing Flash content with a terminal server
    client, users are experiencing severe lag and almost complete loss of keyboard
    and mouse control. Upon running network monitoring software, we have discovered
    that terminal server clients are using as much as 10Mb of bandwidth whilst
    viewing sites containing large amounts of Flash content. During normal use,
    most of our terminal server clients are using no more than 45-50Kb of bandwidth.

    As most of our terminal server clients are limited to a 256Kb connection or
    less, users are left with an almost unusable terminal until the Flash content
    finishes playing or the website is closed.

    I realize that the way the screen is rendered in a terminal server session may
    be contributing towards the problem, however is there any way that Flash Player
    can be configured to optimize its performance for terminal server use?

    Thanks in advance,

    ult_netsupport Guest

  2. #2

    This is more a "feature" of terminal server. We have the same here with Flash
    content (when flash v8.0.24 decides to work) along with other dynamic content.

    Terminal server has a relatively low update speed, and only updates the moving
    parts of the screen (or rather the changed parts of the screen). As a result,
    it has problems keeping up with moving images or animations.

    We counter this here by advising people to browse flash sites locally if
    possible (some users use thin clients so its not possible), and to change the
    default home page to something like google which has no flash on it. We spent
    ages dealing with new users complaining that "the internet is slow" when in
    actual fact is was the flash adverts on the MSN home page slowing down their
    session.

    As far as I'm aware theres no real solution to this, as its just the way that
    Terminal Services works which is making flash sites appear juddery and slow,
    which in turns slows down all the session data over the internet (ie makes the
    users mouse and keyboard stop responding). If you do find a solution, let me
    know, coz i would love to hear it.

    Olly

    stonneway Guest