Professional Web Applications Themes

flash plugin for firefox : Linux AMD64 - Adobe Flash, Flex & Director

:brokenheart; well, still no 64bit-browser support for flash, this shows what happens with proprietary software. i hope that some day someone will come up with some totally new (maybe SVG based), free, open standard tool which replaces "mmmmm(*scratch*head*)-flash" .... at least there is a workaround possible for Ubuntu Users checkout ubuntuforums.org there are some threads covering this problem with some helpful information how you can get around it running a 32bit firefox on your 64bit system :|...

  1. #21

    Default Re: flash plugin for firefox : Linux AMD64

    :brokenheart;
    well, still no 64bit-browser support for flash, this shows what happens with
    proprietary software.

    i hope that some day someone will come up with some totally new (maybe SVG
    based), free, open standard tool which replaces "mmmmm(*scratch*head*)-flash"

    at least there is a workaround possible for Ubuntu Users checkout
    ubuntuforums.org there are some threads covering this problem with some helpful
    information how you can get around it running a 32bit firefox on your 64bit
    system :|

    brrrt Guest

  2. #22

    Dear Macromeadia,
    I'm running a total 64bit installation on my machine. So it would be a pitty
    to run a single application in 32bit mode. This causes much performace issues
    cause 32bit habe to be simulated.
    If you don't have the time or don't have the courage to make a new plugin that
    is suitable with the 64bit architecture, then simply release the source of your
    plugin under the GPL oder something like that.
    There would be much people giving up their free time to make a stable plugin
    that works just fine with 64bit processors.

    I think that if you do not do anything to solve the problems people have with
    their new cpu's there will be a simillar project, that can realise the same
    things as you can with your suite. But the difference would be that this
    project will defenetly be under the GPL because this is really a thing that
    goes on the nerves of the open source community.
    And in future the amount of 64bit processors will rais.

    So please develop a new plugin for this architecture or simply give the code
    to the open source community.

    64bit_nendrew Guest

  3. #23

    Mr, Macromedia

    kernelpanic777 Guest

  4. #24

    Mr. Macromedia

    Por favor faca o flashplugin p/ arquitetura AMD64.

    kernelpanic777 Guest

  5. #25

    Micsoda egy szarhalom ez a flash. Igaz?b?l nekem bazira elegem van bel?le,
    rem?lem cs?dbe megy ez a szars?g, mint annak idej?n az animgif. Sok seggfej,
    aki ezt a szemetet haszn?lja az oldal?n... Szerencs?re ritk?n kell ilyen szar
    oldalakat n?zegetnem.

    BAKKER! Guest

  6. #26

    Definitivamente necesitamos el plug-in. Por ac? todos estamos migrando a 64bits
    y sin el plug-in no nos queda otra que desarrollar todos nuestros sitios sin
    flash... perdemos nosotros, pero tambi?n Macromedia...

    -=SaTcH=- Guest

  7. #27

    Macromedia will release a 64bits version of flash. There is no doubt about it
    since all new pcs are 64bits enabled.
    The question is as "when" this will be done.
    Please, push this to asap since it's a pain not to be able to see flash sites
    in our windows xp pro x64 edition.

    You can actually install the 32bits version on the internet explorer 32bits
    edition (comes with the xp pro x64). But it will crash IE from time to time for
    unknown reasons.

    Macromedia will pay more attention as soon as they see a huge percentage of
    users moving towards 64 bits. So far, it hasn't reach a number that they
    consider important.

    Macromedia, just keep ahead of the curve, 64 bits is here to stay!

    creat326 Guest

  8. #28

    Actually, if you think this through... What would it mean for Macromedia to
    produce a 64bit client before M$ is even ready with a 64bit operating system?
    It is not in Macromedia's best interest to put a black eye on M$'s sorely late
    release of a 64bit OS. I'm sure M$ has FULLY explained to Macromedia (directly
    or indirectly) about what is best for Macromedia in technology desisions. I
    would not anticipate a release of anything 64bit from Macromedia until it's M$
    counterpart has been available for a period of time. Business is business.
    And it's all about market share...

    That being said, sure, I'll put my vote in. Please post the x86_64 version as
    soooooon as you release M$ 64 bit version!!

    f@lconsclaw Guest

  9. #29

    Actually I don't think there is great effort in producing the 64-bit flash
    plugin for both Linux and Windows. Technically speaking, it should be quite
    straight-forward (just consider the 64-bit firefox browser and other related
    plugins)

    However, the delay in the release of the 64-bit flash plugin just makes users
    disappointed and seriously affect the image of the Macromedia.

    hidehiei Guest

  10. #30

    I also want a 64 bit Shockwave player.

    :frown;

    Thank You.

    TheSimkin Guest

  11. #31

    Flash on debian x86_64 please!
    Commander_Cool Guest

  12. #32

    Here's another fine suggestion. Boycott Macromedia. They have dragged their
    feet for far too long. I personally will no longer be using their products. I
    will also be giving negative reviews for any sites that use flash when there
    are far better alternatives out there.

    There is only one way to make a company notice something. Hit them in their
    wallet. I for one am boycotting all Macromedia products from this point on.

    majoraminor Guest

  13. #33

    How about open sourcing the Flash Player code so that we can compile the player
    on the Linux x86_64 platform?
    I agree, this is crazy that Macromedia has ignored the 64-bit platform
    altogether. Basically Flash is the only thing that is not working on my Fedora
    Core 4 - AMD Athlon 64 box.

    JohnJos Guest

  14. #34

    Ok. This is getting ridiculous.

    Why is it so hard to recompile the macromedia flash players for 64 bit? All
    platforms should have been done already. There is no reasonable reason for it
    not to be!

    Is anyone from macromedia actually reading these? Maybe we need to voice our
    complaints elsewear?

    TheSimkin Guest

  15. #35

    Lets all meet up over at [url]http://gplflash.sourceforge.net[/url]
    Flash228828 Guest

  16. #36

    I tried to compile gpflash on Ubuntu 5.10 AMD64 but I give up because a lot of dependencies.
    I will try to install a 32 bits browser.
    Alberto21 Guest

  17. #37

    soon, due to it being impossible for most people to view flash websites, people will stop using it to begin with. then macromedia will die and the world will be happy.
    thisisnottaken999123 Guest

  18. #38

    Unfortunately such things as flash will not die. Far too many people who dev
    web pages are either uneducated, lazy or just plain stupid generally speaking.
    They tend to be the slackers who couldn't hack it in the real world of software
    dev. As such they'll never realize that just about everything that people
    normally use Flash for can be quite easily accomplished with XHTML, CSS and a
    few JavaScripts. No need for special proprietary plugins.

    In any case, far too many developers of proprietary software don't think
    her than the $$$. Thanks to Intel's anti-competitive marketing most OEMs
    don't offer AMD64 so the market is small, Linux in its own right represents a
    rather small consumer market made up of modest to no income twenty somethings
    and kids. Their target markets are mostly older people with $$$, who are
    generally computer illiterate, and can barely find the power button let alone
    run software that isn't stupid friendly. Add the two together and you have a
    pretty sure bet that 64bit Linux isn't at the top of their list of priorities.

    The only thing that might change that is if we concern them sufficiently with
    an open source alternative that plays Flash; as the next step would logically
    be one that "creates" Flash. Greedy businesses tend to get concerned when you
    dry up their cash cows with free alternatives.

    --Neth

    Nethemas Guest

  19. #39

    You guys need to consider giving up on flash. Ask yourself: 32-bit to 64-bit
    isn't a difficult transition to make, so why isn't there a Flash product which
    supports 64 bit?

    SVG, an open standard, will provide the ability for the world to share dynamic
    content. As an open standard, it will be widely supported, and won't break
    because you're using a proprietary plug-in with limited support.

    I'm guessing that Macromedia are putting their effort into product which
    support SVG, which is why you're not seeing any support for Flash.

    Visit the Mozilla projet to find out more on SVG support.

    Mandabu Guest

  20. #40

    There are three companies which whilst not crucial to forward momentum in
    64-bit OS development do have some impact; Sun, Adobe & Macromedia. Not
    crucial, no - but with a very high "-off" factor (sorry - that may be a bit
    too aussie for an international audience).
    Sun have not released a java plugin to support 64-bit browsers.
    Adobe have not released a 64-bit driver for the PDF printer.
    Macromedia have not released flash/shockwave plugins to support 64-bit
    browsers.
    And in all cases the companies flat out refuse to discuss development
    timelines, citing with basic disrespect to the developers and consumers who use
    their products "we're aware of the issues, at this time we cannot comment on
    future plans but do not expect development to be in the immediate future as
    64-bit OS's represent a minor market segment."
    Two things I note from that; first a shock - macromedia and adobe taking the
    exact same position on something! and secondly - that although yes 64-bit OS's
    do represent a minority that minority is a reflection of primarily one group:
    developers! Every single developer, be they multimedia, web, software or other
    that I talk to is either already operating in as close to a 64-bit environment
    as they can or is migrating to it as quickly as they can. And with one voice
    they have all had enough of these companies refusing to come to the party on
    64-bit. And I may be shy of the mark here, but don't these three companies
    derive a fair chunk of their revenue from us developers? Oh yes they do. I've
    already abandoned Adobe Acrobat (licence cancelled and refunded - bye-bye). Is
    Macromedia next?

    I'm (we're?) tired of hearing "sorry". Are we developers to be hobbled by
    this, or are there small startup software companies just waiting to jump up and
    grab this opportunity?

    Silvercloak Guest

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast