Professional Web Applications Themes

flash plugin for firefox : Linux AMD64 - Adobe Flash, Flex & Director

  1. #41

    Default Re: flash plugin for firefox : Linux AMD64

    > I'm (we're?) tired of hearing "sorry". Are we developers to be hobbled by this

    My friend, you are SO right.

    But, haven't we developers failed our user community by developing using
    technologies which haven't got global reach. The web isn't a community any
    more. It's the WHOLE of humanity.

    The open, web technologies pioneered by w3c are widely implemented. Not just
    on PCs: PDAs, mobile phones etc. Many device used by the population of this
    planet.

    The closed technology, SWF is implemented on very few devices, and not on the
    PC I'm using at the moment.

    I've just noticed (now that I don't have SWF player in my browser) that the
    portals which are visited by the whole of society (e.g. Google, bbc.co.uk)
    don't seem to make use of SWF. I guess they're trying to achieve a global
    reach. And closed technologies aren't going to help them provide a service to
    the WHOLE of humanity.

    Mandabu Guest

  2. #42

    I want a 64 bit Shockwave player, too

    Thank You.:disgust;
    qbeltra Guest

  3. #43

    I'm really tiered to wait for a Official amd64 Flash Plugin. Today I'm using
    swfdec [url]https://www.schleef.org/swfdec/[/url].

    It's not 100%, is actually far from it, but I avoid going to the 32bit Firefox
    every single flash site visited.

    drigoam Guest

  4. #44

    Yes I agree really lame of macromedia to not yet have a 64 bit flashplayer... hurry a bit up lazy developers :disgust;
    pixolpower Guest

  5. #45

    :disgust;
    Come on guys, 64 bit computers have been around forever. You need to write a plugin if you want to be considered a top notch tech company
    84Pirate Guest

  6. #46

    Originally posted by: Mandabu
    But, haven't we developers failed our user community by developing using
    technologies which haven't got global reach. The web isn't a community any
    more. It's the WHOLE of humanity.
    The closed technology, SWF is implemented on very few devices, and not on the
    PC I'm using at the moment.

    Very good point about development of communications via the internet. And I
    agree wholeheartedly
    Developers have also simply become lazy - what has happened to non-flash pages
    being served up as alternatives? They're certainly becoming more rare - too
    many "cookie cutter" production line sites being produces without any thought.

    Of course with respect to SWF having limited "reach" for some environments,
    such as closed intranets, it's no real hurdle. It's just becoming so much
    harder to explain to people the mix of 32-bit and 64-bit
    software/drivers/plugins/encoders etc etc that they need to access everything.

    I suppose, casting a more distant observers eye over the situation that we are
    really ed here though. I'll simply say this: merger.
    With the Adobe-Macromedia thing in the works I'm guessing development or at
    least planning (and the associated support planning) has ground to a halt in
    both camps. But dang, surely some disgruntled employees feel like leaking the
    64-bit alpha or beta versions they've got floating around in house? *evil grin*

    Silvercloak Guest

  7. #47

    ERROR: Your architecture, \'x86_64\', is not supported by the
    Macromedia Flash Player installer.

    And I was so glad with my new pc.. please make me happy again and provide me
    with a flash player for firefox on FC4 running on a x86-64 architecture. thank
    you

    -Livid- Guest

  8. #48

    Just thought I'd keep this forum going.. Does anyone at macromedia read this?
    (show it to your supervisors)

    Here's an interesting quote from your flash 8 professional page.
    Unleash applications to the web, Windows, Macintosh, Unix, PDAs, and even cell
    phones. Reach the widest possible audience via the Flash Player, installed on
    98% of desktops globally. The scalable, vector based display and consistent
    runtime engine in Flash Player deliver content with high fidelity irrespective
    of operating system and client hardware specifications.

    That number is probably going down by the day.

    You don't seem to care that much about reaching the "widest possible
    audience", and I imagine you're upsetting a large amount of people using
    certain "hardware specifications" including potential buyers of your products.

    I use Ubuntu AMD64

    angry amd64 person Guest

  9. #49

    32 bit operating systems dominate, now. They will be replaced by 64 bit. We
    all know this. There's no reason not migrate eventually.
    Why create anything specifially for Windows XP, Windows 98 already exists.
    No one needs to switch, right??
    Nobody waits for the next version of an OS to "dominate" it's sector before
    releasing compatible versions. Before XP came out everyone was ready w/ XP
    versions. No flavor of Linux dominates, but there's a 32 bit flash available.
    Your excuse does not make sense. It's coming, why not have it ready now. I
    take that back; it's here. 64 bit OSs are out there.
    This is an awfully long list of ppl here demanding a product, and you're
    refusing? Doesn't make sense.

    spo00n Guest

  10. #50

    Please, make a Linux Amd 64bits player!!!!!!

    It's so dificult, freeze code and request help from Linux user/developers.

    Thanks, I hope you build it soon.
    dclemen Guest

  11. #51

    hello Jason.
    That answer reported on that webpage is not reasonable.
    The first part is well known but at same time ridicolous. We already know that
    it can be run on a 32 bit browser running on 64 bit system.
    Perhaps your company doesn't care too much about linux user, but it seems that
    linux is not the only OS running on AMD64... any news about windows or other OS?
    I can't understand where the problem is to compile a small software for 64 bit!
    I just tell that Sun Java Runtime environment for 64 bit exist from about 1
    year.
    Hearing that, and hearing that your company cannot confirm that newer versions
    will run in 64 bit ias very upsetting.

    Cheers
    Massimiliano

    Max_Adamo Guest

  14. #54

    :frown;
    I agree totally with Massimiliano. It is unbelievable that Macromedia can not
    support 64-bit.
    btw, I work for one of the largest Information Technology companies in the
    world. This makes Macromedia look like a bad direction for any big company to
    go in.

    84Pirate Guest

  15. #55

    Macromedia:

    Seriously guys, take a look at this forum. A couple months, and it's scrolling
    down to the floor. Half the people (Including me) signed up for an account with
    you guys JUST to ask for a 64 bit plugin. And I bet you're getting ten emails
    for every post on this silly little forum. The demand is there, the technology
    is there, and you are losing marketshare while you twiddle your thumbs. I
    seriously cannot think of a good reason, even after reading this forum, that
    you guys are stalling.

    Releasing the source for the player wouldn't be a horrible idea at all,
    either. Your dev costs for the thing will dramatically drop, since the
    community can take care of the basic stuff for you. (Such as porting it to
    64bits) All you have to do it sit back and sell your products, and keep us
    informed on any changes to the specification.

    Seriously, you guys need to think about your game plan. You're throwing away a
    ton of money here, in a ton of ways.

    -Jeffrey

    P.S. To the person that expressed suprise that Macromedia and Adobe were
    agreeing: Don't be surpised. They're the same company now. Adobe ate them.
    Which basically means that Adobe ate their only serious competitor. (Quark's a
    competitor too, but they're dying a slow, painful death. It's really kind of
    pathetic.) I really don't understand how Adobe is avoiding an anti-trust suit.

    Dirkson Guest

  16. #56

    Please make this plugin for Gentoo for AMD64 processor!

    Thanks!
    Pagyra Guest

  17. #57

    I joined the list of people who boycott Macromedia products. Plus I wrote to
    all website administrators I encounter to reconsider using Flash animation in
    their webpage due to lack of support for all platforms.

    Won't do much - but still.

    CRJK Guest

  18. #58

    Originally posted by: Dirkson
    P.S. To the person that expressed suprise that Macromedia and Adobe were
    agreeing: Don't be surpised. They're the same company now. Adobe ate them.

    That would be me - sorry I guess my sarcasm didn't come across in my message
    For years healthy competition bred between the two companies - now I'd be
    surprised if development of anything groundbreaking will be forthcoming in the
    near OR distant future. The fact that this behemoth of a company can't/wont
    release important 64-bit compiled versions of some of their simplest tools
    (macromedia flash player, adobe pdf printer) on what is arguably becoming an
    increasingly popular developers platform (Windows x64 & Linux 64-bit) is
    testament to the fact that the larger a company gets the less focus on
    customers there is and more on pure revenue $$$'s!

    I think Microsoft should just buy all of them out to fix this issue,
    personally I'd let them get away with that particular anti-competitive
    behaviour to support my new platform of choice

    Silvercloak Guest

  19. #59

    I've just created a account here to express my disappointment. After strungling
    for a few weeks I'm finally getting around working with the FC4 linux
    distribution.. but then I found out there is no support for the 64bit
    architecture!?? I could have expected this from a small company.. but
    Macromedia.. common, how is this possible?

    MrLivid Guest

  20. #60

    No one Macromedia developers or any person of the official stuff of Macromedia Reply or Answer our questions.

    Is Macromedia don't care about 64 bits?
    LuisGonzalez Guest

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast