Professional Web Applications Themes

flash plugin for firefox : Linux AMD64 - Macromedia Flash Player

For anyone using ubuntu, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=476924 works well, but is buggy for me. Flash was my favorite thing until it didn't work. Now, it just doesn't make sense to me why we even need a plugin to play things like this. The technology already exists in javascript and the likes, and adobe/macromedia are just remarketing it. If flash player is so important to the world, why isn't it hard coded into every browser, instead of having to download it?...

  1. #1

    Default Re: flash plugin for firefox : Linux AMD64

    For anyone using ubuntu, http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=476924 works
    well, but is buggy for me. Flash was my favorite thing until it didn't work.
    Now, it just doesn't make sense to me why we even need a plugin to play things
    like this. The technology already exists in javascript and the likes, and
    adobe/macromedia are just remarketing it. If flash player is so important to
    the world, why isn't it hard coded into every browser, instead of having to
    download it?

    Jeratt Guest

  2. #2

    Hi there!
    I know this comment WILL NOT arrive to Adobe, but don't care.
    I think Adobe's not releasing a 64 bit beta version because their products
    MUST be 100% bugs free. It's marketting. You know, lots of people don't use
    Linux because [they think] it's not bug free.
    The first comment on yhis forum was done on July 2005. Today is March 2008,
    more than 2 years and half ago. DO you really think it's a porting problem? Me
    don't.

    I think that may be there are other reasons, probably also [dirty] marketting
    reasons:
    * If 64bit platforms are for developers, no support for them is equal to
    segregate developers, so Adobe have less competence
    * YouTube and all big MM sites won't stop using it, so end users will
    probably don't use platforms/systems not supporting their favourite sites
    (unless a very good alternative exists) or they will use 32bit hacks to solve
    that, not caring on system lack
    * Big companies like Adobe or M$, usually have lots of ugly source code,
    commonly old code made by developers not working anymore on the company. And
    they have also litle experience (or none) on porting their programs to other
    platforms/systems, so they have not developed tools to aid on this issue
    (flex/bison prs, for example).
    * It's true, 64bit users share is still minimal. They don't care rheir
    experience. Their goal is on big users shares. That's a company and that's
    market benefit. That's also software propertary goal: they decide and no reply
    is allowed.
    * There are some (free) alternatives to FP on linux, for example, but they
    will never be on the same level as Macromedia's: they have the FP creator and
    specificacations and, again, they decide.
    * Think: this is the same case as Internet Explorer: "everybody" uses M$, so
    "everybody" uses Explorer, so M$ can develop non W3C compliant features, even
    W3C existing features, just to do a nasty attak to others system/navigators
    than theirs.
    * There are more examples of these kind of company personallity, most of them
    done by M$, but not the only.

    Some other excuse I've read in this forum is that Adobe must pay to their
    developers... I'm not sure at all this is the biggest effort for Adobe. I think
    the biggest effort isn't to develop a good software but taking a good profit
    from them.

    I repeat: They need to take a good profit, not to develop a good
    software.

    May be every day there is another person who take conscience of that lack of
    big companies and may be some day big companies change or simply disappear.
    It's companies decission, not us. We can only wait and develop alternatives,
    not only on computers but on all life aspects.

    Specting for a concience evolution,
    emi

    emi_ramo Guest

  3. #3

    Keep in mind it is and always has been all about the money.
    that simple.
    easytune33 Guest

  4. #4

    All what I say on my previous comment is that. They only want to earn more
    money, not to do better software.
    And is our problem to accept this idea using it on YouTube or in our webpages.
    If we give the power to close source software and not to open source (as W3C
    standarized and GPL/GNU or whichever other free licence'd software, as
    Firefox), we're giving this power to a company, whom has MONEY in mind, not
    USABILITY, PORTABILITY, etc.

    That's what I think.

    emi_ramo Guest