Professional Web Applications Themes

Flash sprite stays on stage - Macromedia Director Basics

I'm having a problem with a flash sprite that has buttons that link to points in the director movie, but randomly decides not to leave the screen. It is on the first 10 frames, and even if i'm on frame 100 it shows up (behind a video clip I have playing). I've tried moving it off the screen after frame 10, putting other sprites in that channel, refreshing the screen, and nothing seems to work. I've done this same thing with flash lots of times, and it has never done this before. Even reimporting doesn't fix it. It doesn't happen ...

  1. #1

    Default Flash sprite stays on stage

    I'm having a problem with a flash sprite that has buttons that link to
    points in the director movie, but randomly decides not to leave the screen.
    It is on the first 10 frames, and even if i'm on frame 100 it shows up
    (behind a video clip I have playing). I've tried moving it off the screen
    after frame 10, putting other sprites in that channel, refreshing the
    screen, and nothing seems to work. I've done this same thing with flash lots
    of times, and it has never done this before. Even reimporting doesn't fix
    it.
    It doesn't happen all the time, but a good chunk of it. It seems like it
    works sometimes, but then if i save the file, it goes back to showing up
    again.
    Anyone have any clue why it's doing this?

    Thanks.

    Evan Couch Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flash sprite stays on stage

    Hi Evan,

    Persistent sprites are usually caused by one of two things, the sprite
    has been puppeted using lingo, or, the directToStage property for the
    original member has been set to true.

    Puppeting is easily controlled. If you have puppeted this Flash sprite,
    then set the puppet property of the sprite to false and it will
    disappear from the screen.

    Your computer's ability to respond to changes in the directToStage
    property settings is dependent on your video card and it's drivers. It
    has nothing to do with Director, Flash, or any guest application that's
    in use.

    The most successful method for removing a sprite from the stage that
    has it's member's directToStage property set to true is to reset that
    property to false, and change the locV or locH value of the sprite to
    move it off the visible area of the stage.

    UpdateStage or setting the stageColor to the stageColor will not work
    reliably. If the video drivers are not responding correctly to the
    change in the directToStage property, they will, likewise not respond
    properly to a command to redraw the stage.

    While updating your video drivers may solve the problem on your
    computer, unless you go door to door to each of your users and update
    their video drivers, it's still best to provide a mechanical solution
    to the problem of vagrant sprites.

    --
    Rob
    _______