Professional Web Applications Themes

FlashPlayerEnabler Plugin M.I.A. - Macromedia Flash Player

Before switching to MAC OSX 10.5 (Leopard), I could verify disk permissions and re-install flash player to view flash content minimally: until I shut down a browser; then I had to repeat the process, which was pretty tedious and frustrating. (see "Flash Player 9 won't install on Mac OSX(PC)" 5/11/2007: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm forumid=44&catid=184&threadid=1267248&enterthread= y ) But now that I have 'upgraded' to OSX 10.5.1 Leopard, this 'trick' no longer works. I have un-installed, re-installed, tweaked MIME settings in Quicktime, and just about everything else related to this issue that has been published, and nothing seems to work. What I do know ...

  1. #1

    Default FlashPlayerEnabler Plugin M.I.A.

    )

    But now that I have 'upgraded' to OSX 10.5.1 Leopard, this 'trick' no longer
    works. I have un-installed, re-installed, tweaked MIME settings in Quicktime,
    and just about everything else related to this issue that has been published,
    and nothing seems to work.

    What I do know is that if I load a .swf movie manually (opening up a .swf file
    directly from my hard drive) it works. But in a browser ? forget about it. I'm
    using Safari 3.0.4, and occasionally Firefox 2.0.0.11, and neither of will play
    flash content.

    When I do install (last attempt was FP9.3) It hangs at about 4 remaining items
    to install, then it eventually loads these and seemingly installs, until it
    goes back to the installation confirmation, where I continue to see ? NOTHING!
    (as far as flash content, 'cept a quicktime icon w/ a question mark.) When I
    open my plug in library, the only files (relative to FP) I see are:

    ? .../Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player.plugin
    ? .../Library/Internet Plug-Ins/flashplayer.xpt

    I seem to be missing .../Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player Enabler.plugin

    I'm not sure if this is the issue, but it seems it very well could be. I'm not
    sure if there's a way to find just this plugin to manually drop into my
    ..../Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ folder ? but if anyone knows, I'd sure like to
    try.

    The whole permissions issue: not to sure if this carries much clout w/ my
    issue. I'm the only user registered to this Mac. Also, this didn't start
    happening until I upgraded from FP8 to 9... and maybe the Quicktime Release
    around the time I upgraded. I'm running "QuickTime? Version 7.3.0, Player
    Version 7.3 (7.3)"

    Also, now when I verify disk permissions in the disk utility, it seems to take
    forevvvvvvvveeeeeeeerrrrrr. This is, however, probably a Mac issue, but I
    wonder if that has anything to do w/ my problem? Just trying to be as
    descriptive as possible.

    thought-well Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FlashPlayerEnabler Plugin M.I.A.

    I have been having the same problem with my PPC MacOSX 10.4.11 using the latest
    Safari 3 and Quicktime Pro 7.3 versions with that darned grayed out "Q" and
    question mark. Grrrr! When I installed the most recent Flash Player 9
    (plug-in?) it takes me to the Adobe site with the proper image. Yet, when I try
    to open another page with a flash image, I get that same "Q." even after doing
    a reboot, permission thing, etc. Another thing I noticed is when I check on my
    Safari installed plug-ins there are duplicate listings for Quicktime 7.3 and
    Shockwave Flash. Why is that and how does one uninstall these duplicates? I
    also am missing the.../Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Flash Player Enabler.plugin.
    There is some kind of incompatibility issue somewhere between Quicktime and
    Flash or Safari. Very frustrating, with no one I've heard on any forum that has
    been able to suggest a clear answer. Hopefully, Apple and Adobe will provide a
    fix.
    :confused;

    tacreate Guest

  3. #3

    Sounds similar... but I can't even get the flash animation on the Adobe site to
    work. Also, it bugs w/ Firefox, as well. I was hoping maybe this new Flash
    Player update would fix. I've been w/o Flash accessibility for more that 3
    months, or so it seems. I can't view any sites that primarily rely on flash...
    seems like many companies don't take the time these days to provide tandem html
    sites that are a bit more accessible. I guess the consensus is that everyone
    has Flash Player working live and well, but judging from the amount of issues
    posted on these forums that relate to various different FP9 issues, that
    apparently isn't the case.

    I wonder if it's an issue related to the PPC. I've gotta milk at least another
    year before I can move up to the Intel, being we paid top dollar for this back
    in '05. Plus, Apple will be using Nehalem by then, which will be another reason
    to wait.... of course, If I can wait a couple of years, then maybe they'll...

    I guess the point is, it would be really good to have something available now
    until I can fork over the 5K for another one of these.... but even the Intel
    based Macs seem to be having their share of issues w/ FP9.

    thought-well Guest

  4. #4

    [q]Originally posted by: tacreate
[...]
    :confused;[/q]

    tacreate, please try this for me (worked for another QT7.3 user and I need to
    get it technoted....)

    In <drive> Library/Preferences/ drag the following to the desktop:
    com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist
    com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist
    QuickTime Preferences
    Favorites.html

    Then reboot and see if Flash Player works. This has worked for me once
    before. What I believe is happening is that QT7.3 is picking up bad preferences
    from a previous QuickTime installation...

    BWolfe Guest

  5. #5

    [q]Originally posted by: thought-well
    Sounds similar... but I can't even get the flash animation on the Adobe site
    to work. Also, it bugs w/ Firefox, as well. I was hoping maybe this new Flash
    Player update would fix. [/q]

    There are a couple of possibilities here..

    Here's what I'd like you to do...

    First, do the same trashing of QuickTime preferences I advised in the thread
    above. Then reboot and retest.

    If that doesn't work then I think we'll have to use sudo to manually change
    permissions on a few folders that are -inside- of your web browser packages.
    So at that point I think I'd want to talk to you directly. So try the above and
    let me know what happens, then we can get connected...

    BWolfe Guest

  6. #6

    None of these files...

    In <drive> Library/Preferences/ drag the following to the desktop:
    com.apple.quicktime.plugin.preferences.plist
    com.apple.quicktimeplayer.plist
    QuickTime Preferences
    Favorites.html

    ...you listed are in my Main <drive> Library/Preferences folders.

    What I do have is...

    com.apple.Quicktime.plist

    Don't know why that is so maybe we should connect?
    Best, T

    tacreate Guest