Professional Web Applications Themes

flatbed scanners - Photography

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has any advice regarding faltbed scanners. I am tossing up between an Epson 1670 Photo and a Canon 5000F. It will be used mainly for scanning slides and 35 mm negs at 72dpi and sometimes up to 300dpi. Any advice would be appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default flatbed scanners

    Hi,

    Just wondering if anyone has any advice regarding faltbed scanners. I am
    tossing up between an Epson 1670 Photo and a Canon 5000F.

    It will be used mainly for scanning slides and 35 mm negs at 72dpi and
    sometimes up to 300dpi.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    b Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: flatbed scanners

    "b" <com> wrote in message

    While I will admit to not bothering with scanners since going digital.... it
    used to be the case that flatbeds were not the best option for scanning
    slides.... I am happy to be corrected, but I would think a dedicated film
    scanner would give much better results.... is there a particular reason your
    want a flat bed if your main use is slides?

    Russell

    AU Guest

  3. #3

    Just to get the flexibility to use it for doents etc.

    "AU Digital Photo Of The Day" <com.au> wrote in message

    > While I will admit to not bothering with scanners since going digital....[/ref]
    it
    your

    b Guest

  4. #4

    I use a Hewlett Packard 5470c, which has a special attachment to do 3
    mounted slides at once, and a fitting for negs, plus the usual flatbed
    stuff, including a simple interface for photocopying- no complaints, we get
    a lot of use out of it. There is probably a newer model current.

    --
    Benny
    *******
    "b" <com> wrote in message
> [...]

    Benny Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:47:26 +1000, "AU Digital Photo Of The Day"
    <com.au> wrote:

    Agreed - since I used a dedicated film scanner (Nikon) (and now have
    regular access to it), my HP flatbed with film adapter thing hasn't
    been used once.

    Much better results - although if it's a saleable image, I have it
    scanned professionally rather than in-house. again, much better
    results.

    Andrew Guest

  6. #6

    Personally I would go the Canon (actually, I did.. canon scanner and
    printer, and camera come to think of it).
    Epson have never had their own presence in Australia and are brought
    in by importers. Hence service/technical support can be very difficult
    to get with them.

    Good luck with your decision.

    Greg.

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:28:33 +1000, "b" <com> wrote:

    Greg
    CT110 -> CBX250 -> GPX250 -> FZR250R -> FZR600 -> YZFR6
    Greg Guest

  7. #7

    "b" <com> wrote in message

    But at what cost in quality?? .....see Andrews next reply.

    AU Guest

  8. #8

    "b" <com> wrote in message
> [...]

    You will need to scan at greater res than 75 > 300. I would of thought that
    minium to scan a 35mm trannie or neg would be about 1200dpi
    Try looking up www.scantips.com

    Shane

    ShaneBooth Guest

  9. #9

    What sort of $$ for the Dedicated neg scanner?

    Biggus Guest

  10. #10

    "Greg" <com.au> wrote:

    Epson have had their own presence in Australia since November 1983
    (http://www.epson.com.au/corporate/corporate_profile.asp)

    "In November 1983, EPSON Australia Pty Limited opened its doors for business
    with just two staff members working out of a sectioned-off industrial
    warehouse in Sydney's Frenchs Forest. Today, over fifteen years later, EPSON
    has over 100 staff members throughout Australia and is one of Australia's
    leading printer suppliers."

    Free email/telephone support for the life of the product.
    http://tech.epson.com.au/index.html
    Head office in Sydney, branch offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and
    Adelaide.

    Ken

    Ken Guest

  11. #11

    I had one of those Canon 5000f. Canon refunded my money (through their
    distributor) because it couldn't scan a 36 exposure roll of 35mm negs at
    full resolution in less than 8 hours! The distributor assured me a 9900f
    would be a better thing - it wasn't!.

    I sold that and bought an Epson 3200 which I still have. IMO The 5000f Canon
    is the pick of their range ...which doesn't say much for Canon's high end
    scanners, does it? Even their dedicated film scanner takes 10 minutes to
    scan a negative!

    Be aware that dust is going to be a huge factor in scanning film of any
    type. The Polaroid dust and scratch removal program is as good as I've found
    away from digital ice. Unfortunately DI has to be built into the scanner.
    I've never used the 1670 Epson but I can tell you the 3200 is so far in
    front of Canon's effort, they'll never catch up. Canon insist on using their
    own flavour of software drivers and refuse to share the knowledge so you
    can't get software like "Silverfast" to drive their scanners. At least with
    Epson you can use different scanning applications.

    Doug
    ------------------
    "b" <com> wrote in message
> [...]

    Snaps! Guest

  12. #12

    Ring Epson and try and buy something from them, they will tell you to
    go to Tech Pacific or another reseller. Epson employees their own
    presenters and merchandisers here though....

    Even their print samples are imported!

    Only speaking through my experience in selling and dealing with Epson
    versus Canon. I'd personally take Canon any day purely for the ease of
    use, availability, reliability, service and support.

  13. #13

    "Greg" <com.au> wrote: [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]
     [/ref][/ref]
     [/ref]

    Ring Canon, see if they will sell you a camera, scanner, printer ....
    whatever, they will refer you to a dealer. You are a reseller doing ones
    and twos, they'll refer you to a distributor (eg Tech Pac). Ring Canon (or
    Epson) and tell them you want to buy a few pallets of stock a week and then
    see if they'll sell to you direct.

    and support staff, and warehouse staff, and accountants, and technicians,
    and .... enough people for an entire company in fact.

    So are there printers and scanners and projectors, like Canon, HP, Lexmark

    You have found Canon sell direct to the public?
    You have found Canon build their products in Australia?

    KC

    Ken Guest

  14. #14

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 18:21:30 +1000, "Ken" <n e w s (at) k e n c h a n d
    l e r . c o m> wrote:
     [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    > [/ref]

    >Ring Canon, see if they will sell you a camera, scanner, printer ....
    >whatever, they will refer you to a dealer. You are a reseller doing ones
    >and twos, they'll refer you to a distributor (eg Tech Pac). Ring Canon (or
    >Epson) and tell them you want to buy a few pallets of stock a week and then
    >see if they'll sell to you direct.
    >[/ref]
    A delaer is a little different to a distributor.. sorry.. and anyone
    who has dealt with them will know. Any major problems, and they will
    have to wait until the manufacturer decides on the best outcome..
    hance forth with Canon versus Epson, there is better support and a
    quicker turn around time on problems.

    Canon can recommend Pro shops over standard dealers at least.
    And have pre sales support, and you can take your product directly to
    Canon for support too... not a shop.

    >and support staff, and warehouse staff, and accountants, and technicians,
    >and .... enough people for an entire company in fact.[/ref]

    A whole company who sell to resellers but who will not talk to the
    general public... what are they hiding from?

    >So are there printers and scanners and projectors, like Canon, HP, Lexmark[/ref]

    Ermmm.. yeah.... so are cars, toasters and clothes pegs, but I was
    talking about their print samples...

    >You have found Canon sell direct to the public?
    >You have found Canon build their products in Australia?
    >[/ref]

    What has this got to do with anything?
    I prefer Canon from personal dealings with their products and the
    company. Just trying to give the original poster some advice which he
    asked for. If you like, I think I have some Epson stickers left over
    from my retails days I can send you so you can place them all over
    your house to ease your pain.....

    Bugger, almost forgot.... Why does Canon outsell Epson??