Professional Web Applications Themes

FLATTEN A PDF - POSSIBLE? - Macromedia Freehand

I am very new to freehand - we have it at my company because it is the only program we had access to that could open PDF's other than Adobe Pro 7. We are a wholesale supply company that gets many PDF's from many manufacturing companies on the interenet. These PDF's are specifications for products. We use them to illustrate the products that are part of a submittal packages - a large PDF that contains many one and two page PDFs. In Adobe Pro version 5 we drew white boxes to cover black areas of scanned doents. Now we have ...

  1. #1

    Default FLATTEN A PDF - POSSIBLE?

    I am very new to freehand - we have it at my company because it is the only
    program we had access to that could open PDF's other than Adobe Pro 7.
    We are a wholesale supply company that gets many PDF's from many manufacturing
    companies on the interenet. These PDF's are specifications for products. We
    use them to illustrate the products that are part of a submittal packages - a
    large PDF that contains many one and two page PDFs.

    In Adobe Pro version 5 we drew white boxes to cover black areas of scanned
    doents. Now we have the MX studio and discovered that Feehand can open and
    manipulate PDF's
    we want to flatten the PDFs the shrink the file size and clean up the mess
    that is hiding under all the PDF's with white boxes in them.
    Is this something I can do in Freehand?

    any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

    TOWE

    TODD Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: FLATTEN A PDF - POSSIBLE?

    I'm afraid FreeHand is not going to serve as a very robust PDF editor. You
    would probably be better off using Illustrator and/or Photoshop for this
    purpose, since PDF and Illustrator are about as integrated as Adobe can make
    them, and since Acrobat Pro has "hooks" built-in to allow "jump-to" editing
    of objects within the PDF with those programs.

    But I'm also not certain that you really need anything beyond Acrobat Pro 7,
    which you say you already have. Have you fully explored its optimization
    features?

    It sounds as if you want to rasterize the PDF page to a single raster
    image--something that may very well be counter to your purpose of smaller,
    tidier PDFs (depends on their actual content). But if a PDF containing only
    raster image(s) is in fact what you want, Acrobat Pro has a Snapshot tool
    (like a built-in screen capture you can crop as desired) built-in. You can
    take a Snapshot of the page, then File>Create PDF>From Clipboard Image. You
    can then use Acrobat's Touch Up Object tool to select the image in the
    resulting new PDF, copy it, and paste it into the original, or into another
    PDF. This effectively allows you to "crop" to only the desired portion of a
    raster image contained in the PDF.

    You mention drawing boxes to cover unwanted portions of scans which are
    contained in the PDFs, and a desire to "flatten" that. Assuming the unwanted
    areas are not where they could just be cropped away, that amounts to editing
    the pixels in the image; something neither FreeHand nor Illustrator does.
    Photoshop would be better for that, and in fact, if you have Photoshop
    installed, you can use Acrobat's Touch Up Object tool to select the raster
    image, and then right-click on it to select Edit Image from the contextual
    menu. This automatically opens the embedded image in Photoshop, where you
    can edit it as desired (erase or delete the unwanted black areas you
    mentioned). When you close it, the edited version jumps right back into the
    PDF. You can do the same thing with vector objects and Illustrator (You are
    supposed to be able to assign other programs as the raster and object
    editors, but I haven't been able to make this work with FH. The selected
    object opens in FH, but saving the changes does not automatically update the
    PDF).

    JET

    James Guest

  3. #3

    JET
    That is unfortunate. We do not have access to other software - until it gets
    too annoying for some decision maker to manipulate thes PDFs in the software we
    own. Too bad about not being able to "flatten layers" in either application.
    I will admit that I have not explored all the clip to PDF options - sounds
    like it will build a large file - plus, not all the files are vector are
    images. Some are BMPs but ALL are B&W.
    We are not a "publishing" department - but we do a lot of publishing.. Didn't
    Adobe just buy Macromedia? Shouldn't that mean some kind of integration
    already existed?

    Guess not. Thanks for your help.

    TOWE

    TODD Guest