Professional Web Applications Themes

Flex Builder 3 - Debugger not working with breakpointsin the code - Macromedia Flex General Discussion

Hey everyone, In Flex Builder 3, whenever I start the debugger with at least one breakpoint in my code, the browser window opens but the application never loads. I can run the application without any problem, but I need to debug the code and it's not working anymore. I try clearing the cache, restarting Flex and my computer, switching the browser from Firefox 2.0 to IE7, cleaning my project, clearing the browser's cache, rebuilding, using no variables, etc. but nothing worked. I know my problem comes from the breakpoints because when I start the debugger, the application doesn't seem to ...

  1. #1

    Default Flex Builder 3 - Debugger not working with breakpointsin the code

    Hey everyone,

    In Flex Builder 3, whenever I start the debugger with at least one breakpoint
    in my code, the browser window opens but the application never loads. I can run
    the application without any problem, but I need to debug the code and it's not
    working anymore.

    I try clearing the cache, restarting Flex and my computer, switching the
    browser from Firefox 2.0 to IE7, cleaning my project, clearing the browser's
    cache, rebuilding, using no variables, etc. but nothing worked.

    I know my problem comes from the breakpoints because when I start the
    debugger, the application doesn't seem to respond until I toggle all
    breakpoints off; then everything load in my page and I can use the application
    again.

    Anyone can help me please?
    Thanks,
    Frank

    Exode90 Guest

  2. #2

    Check the firewall, I've had this problem with flex debuger and it can be one of 2 things:

    1.- Your firewall is blocking the connection to the debuger
    2.- Your Computer is running out of memory.

    buabco Guest

  3. #3

    I'm having a similar problem to Exode90, on Mac OS 10.5. It appears to be that
    a connection can't be established between the debugger and the swf. I'm not
    clear when it started, but all attempts to resolve it have failed, including
    opening up all sorts of ports, uninstalling and reinstalling everything
    imaginable. The number of people who have discussed this problem over various
    forums on the internet is growing, but there seems to be little or no reaction
    from Adobe to get to the source of this pretty critical bug.

    alec mce Guest

  4. #4

    I ran into something similar when i was trying to debug an app I was writing, I chalked it up to my lack of familiarity with Flex. It just seemed to hang up when you hit the breakpoint.
    Developer504 Guest

  5. #5

    The behavior you are all describing is normal: depending on where the current
    breakpoint is and what it does, the browser window will either be blank, or
    appear to be frozen, say, when it's waiting from some kind of action or input,
    then it continues and stops again at the next breakpoint.

    When you are using the debugger, you would normally not even want to go to the
    browser unless you are going to do an action. For example, select something in
    a ComboBox when you have a breakpoint on the last line of the combobox's
    changeHandler function ? at this point, the browser would "freeze" again and
    you would go back to examine your variables or something in the debugger.

    When you are debugging you normally would be looking at variables or
    expressions each time the debugger stops at a breakpoint, not looking at the
    browser. If you notice, the browser closes automatically when you terminate a
    debugging session.

    cheftimo Guest

  6. #6

    Sometimes you may need to switch perspectives to see the breakpoint. I've seen
    FB/Eclipse get into a situation where it is at a breakpoint but you can't see
    it, because I disabled the 'Switch to debug perspective' in the settings.

    slaingod Guest