Professional Web Applications Themes

Flex/Flex Builder Trial - Macromedia Flex General Discussion

Anyone, I am interested in trying the flex builder application. I am not a programmer so I am a bit unsure of what components I need to run the trial software. First, what are the components I will need? ie...FLEX, FLEX, BUILDER, JRUN. Once I have all the components, can they all be run from one machine (my laptop with XP Pro)? Are there any special configuration issues I need to be aware of in order for any of the components to function? Thank you in advance, Ben...

  1. #1

    Default Flex/Flex Builder Trial

    Anyone, I am interested in trying the flex builder application. I am not a
    programmer so I am a bit unsure of what components I need to run the trial
    software.

    First, what are the components I will need? ie...FLEX, FLEX, BUILDER, JRUN.

    Once I have all the components, can they all be run from one machine (my
    laptop with XP Pro)?

    Are there any special configuration issues I need to be aware of in order for
    any of the components to function?

    Thank you in advance,
    Ben

    splattmstr Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Flex/Flex Builder Trial

    The minimum you will need is Flex. It can be installed using the "Integrated
    JRun" option which will create a fully running setup. I advise this for
    beginners, it will almost always just work "out of the box".

    The down load is free, but large, and when installed will be in a "Free Trial"
    license mode. this is exactly the same as the full commercial license. After
    60 days, it will automatically convert to a perpetual Developers license. The
    Developers license is fully functional, but limits access to the first 5 ip
    addresses that connect. Restarting the Flex server clears the IP addresses and
    you get another 5. In a development environment, this is typically no issue.

    Flex builder is an editor/IDE. It is not necessary as you can create both
    ..mxml and .as files with any editor. However, it is a large productivity
    enhancer over simple text editors as it gives you visual design capability,
    preview, debug, code coloring and hinting and lots of other benefits. The
    problem is that it is an extension to DreamWeaver, and after its trial period
    it stops working com pletely. It does NOT convert to any sort of developer
    edition. You will get lots of free copies if you buy a commercial Flex server
    license, around $30k.

    A non-commercial version of Flex is available if youb qualify.

    The version of Jrun installed with the integrated option is minimal. It is
    fine for development, but lacks functionality like running as a Windows service
    and connecting to IIS. it is not suitable for production. Tomcat, by Apache,
    is a free, powerful, fairly easy to use production capable alternative to full
    Jrun.

    Note that the next version of Flex Builder will be based on IBM's Eclipse
    editor, and will allow building and compiling flex applications without
    purchasing the server.

    Install with the integrated option, run the samples, and come on back with any
    questions.

    Tracy

    ntsiii Guest

  3. #3

    Tracy,

    In your response you said something that picked my interest:

    "... Note that the next version of Flex Builder will be based on IBM's Eclipse
    editor, and will allow building and compiling flex applications without
    purchasing the server. ..."

    How will that work? I understand that the new Eclipse/Flex Builder option will
    allow me to compile MXML/ActionScript into SWF files but what happens next?
    Won't I need the FLEX server runtime services for the application to work
    properly?

    I saw the same statement on MM website and was very confused by it. Hopefully
    you could explain...

    Thanks!

    BeltsyJT Guest

  4. #4

    With the standalone version, you can run against local HTTP and web services without any need for the server-side capabilities. If only I could get it to compile with charts...:(
    RBullotta Guest

  5. #5

    I haven't had time to do anything with the 2.0 stuff yet so I can't give you
    any good info. Lots of folks are working with it though and there shold be a
    lot of buzz from the MAX conference last week, so try google.

    Tracy

    ntsiii Guest

  6. #6

    Ben -
    I just started working with Flex as well and I have to say that setting it up
    with Tomcat is a lot easier than running it with JRun 4 in my opinion. I am
    also running my development setup on an XP laptop and with Flex and Tomcat
    running it does consume a lot of resources. I only have a P4 1.7Gig with 512MB
    ram 1 gig Ram would be better. These forums have been extremely helpful and I
    highly suggest getting "Developing rich clients with Macromedia Flex"
    available on Amazon if you think Flex is a good option for you.

    What I got:
    Flex
    Flex Builder 1.5
    TomCat Latest version