Professional Web Applications Themes

Floor Plan App? - Mac Applications & Software

Hi, I'm looking for an app that will help me visualize home floor plans. I'm looking to have a house built, an I believe I could better help the architect if I could show him/her (one not chosen yet) see what I have in mind, where and what size I would like different rooms. The app wold be most handy if I could block out rooms to some sort of scale, then change the room size and location while maintaining a relative scale to other things. I've seen DYOH Architecture by Abracadata (must run in Classic mode) and HighDesign (a ...

  1. #1

    Default Floor Plan App?

    Hi,

    I'm looking for an app that will help me visualize home floor plans.

    I'm looking to have a house built, an I believe I could better help the
    architect if I could show him/her (one not chosen yet) see what I have
    in mind, where and what size I would like different rooms.

    The app wold be most handy if I could block out rooms to some sort of
    scale, then change the room size and location while maintaining a
    relative scale to other things.

    I've seen DYOH Architecture by Abracadata (must run in Classic mode) and
    HighDesign (a new OS X app) by Ilexsoft. DYOH costs about $10 and
    HighDesign costs about $130. I like HighDesign better, but both are
    basic drawing / limited CAD packages and that means I need to do more
    drawing, I would like to just put up scaled boxes and connect them, put
    in doors and windows and such.

    Again, I am NOT trying to design a house, I am only trying to give an
    architect an idea about what I like to svae the first couple of
    iterations of "is this what you had in mind?" nope -- "how about this?"
    closer, but try this -- "how about this?" closer --- You get the
    picture, I believe I could help the architect an myself if I could give
    him/her a better idea from the beginning.

    Well, anybody seen anything like this?

    Thanks,

    AndyD
    Andy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Floor Plan App?

    gAndy Dannelley <net> wrote:

    snip

    Take a look at Canvas. It can do some CAD as well as paint and draw. It
    may well have all the tools you need and can export in standard CAD
    formats that you can give to the architect to start from which would
    save some time and money.

    Ross Bernheim

    Ross Guest

  3. #3

    In article <1g2edxb.q2lhahnsebkN%net>,
    net (Andy Dannelley) wrote:

    OmniGraffle might be able to do this. I haven't tried its furniture
    layout support in much depth, but it certainly has some support for
    these kinds of things.

    The last time I had to do this I bought a copy of Microsoft's Visio and
    ran it under Virtual PC. If you have VPC and a fast computer, that
    might be a good solution.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  4. #4

    On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 15:05:04 GMT, net (Andy
    Dannelley) wrote:

    For something that basic, I'd just use the drawing tools that are in
    Appleworks or MS Word or something like that.

    =IML=

    Remove the "removethis" to reply

    ** Help stop Internet SPAM! Join the **
    ** Coalition Against Unsolicited Commercial E-mail **
    ** (CAUCE). Visit http://www.cauce.org **
    Ira Guest

  5. #5

    In article <1g2edxb.q2lhahnsebkN%net>,
    net (Andy Dannelley) wrote:

    The other answers are good. A basic object-oriented drawing program
    will do what you want. I did my kitchen cabinet planning in
    excruciating detail in AppleWorks.

    However, IMHO, you are going at it the wrong way if you intend to use an
    architect. Do you REALLY know what SIZE and SHAPE of room is
    appropriate? I think this is what you pay an architect to do, along
    with sweating some aesthetics into the details.

    What I did, which saved me from paying the architect to do it, was to do
    my own 'program'. This is NOT the size and shape and layout of rooms.
    This is a functional description of how you intend to use a home. For
    example, statements like 'we frequently host dinners for 8 and would
    like the cook to be able to interact with the guests from the kitchen'
    help the architect a LOT more. The closest thing we did was a Venn-type
    diagram with overlapping bubbles that indicated how we thought 'spaces'
    (NOT rooms!) should be related for efficiency (covered deck bubble next
    to living area bubble, etc.).

    Doing it this way doesn't cripple the architect and lets him/her
    surprise you with a novel solution that you would never have thought of.

    Good luck with the new house. I'm breaking ground this week. :-)

    --
    Art Gorski * Mac Integration Staff * Rice University * Houston, Texas
    Remember to remove NOSPAM from address when replying via email

  6. #6

    In article <1g2edxb.q2lhahnsebkN%net>,
    net (Andy Dannelley) wrote:

    Even if this saves you a bit of money, you'll really be hindering the
    architect, and perhaps getting a lot less value for your money, by doing
    this. I'd suggest that you might be happier with the final product if
    you give the architect more leeway.
    Neill Guest