Professional Web Applications Themes

Floppy boot option in Lilo - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi, I have installed RH 8.0 on my system. I also hve WinXP installed. Lilo is my default boot loader. I want to give an option for booting from floppy in lilo. So that i want to boot frm win98 startup disk, or any other boot floppy. I want to avoid changing boot options frm bios. What changes shld i make in Linux.conf file for this. In case i want to also hve CD boot option in Lilo, is it possible to do that. Please let me know. Darsin...

  1. #1

    Default Floppy boot option in Lilo

    Hi,
    I have installed RH 8.0 on my system. I also hve WinXP installed. Lilo
    is my default boot loader. I want to give an option for booting from
    floppy in lilo. So that i want to boot frm win98 startup disk, or any
    other boot floppy. I want to avoid changing boot options frm bios.
    What changes shld i make in Linux.conf file for this.

    In case i want to also hve CD boot option in Lilo, is it possible to
    do that. Please let me know.
    Darsin
    Darsin Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Floppy boot option in Lilo

    Darsin wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have installed RH 8.0 on my system. I also hve WinXP installed. Lilo
    > is my default boot loader. I want to give an option for booting from
    > floppy in lilo. So that i want to boot frm win98 startup disk, or any
    > other boot floppy. I want to avoid changing boot options frm bios.
    > What changes shld i make in Linux.conf file for this.
    >
    > In case i want to also hve CD boot option in Lilo, is it possible to
    > do that. Please let me know.
    > Darsin
    Why complicate things? Set up your BIOS once so that it checks the floppy,
    then the CD then the HD. If you want to boot from a floppy or a CD, put it
    in before you turn on the machine. You don't need the added aggravation of
    booting to HD before falling back to floppy or CD.
    Jim Bowering Guest

  3. #3

    On 4 Aug 2003 23:48:34 -0700, Darsin
    <darsinphreaker.net> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have installed RH 8.0 on my system. I also hve WinXP installed. Lilo
    > is my default boot loader. I want to give an option for booting from
    > floppy in lilo. So that i want to boot frm win98 startup disk, or any
    > other boot floppy. I want to avoid changing boot options frm bios.
    > What changes shld i make in Linux.conf file for this.
    >
    > In case i want to also hve CD boot option in Lilo, is it possible to
    > do that. Please let me know.
    > Darsin
    If you didn't change the bios settings after installing Linux, you can
    probably boot from floppy or cdrom right now.

    --
    Excuse me, but didn't I tell you there's NO HOPE for the survival of
    OFFSET PRINTING?

  4. #4

    Jim Bowering wrote:
    > Darsin wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>I have installed RH 8.0 on my system. I also hve WinXP installed. Lilo
    >>is my default boot loader. I want to give an option for booting from
    >>floppy in lilo. So that i want to boot frm win98 startup disk, or any
    >>other boot floppy. I want to avoid changing boot options frm bios.
    >>What changes shld i make in Linux.conf file for this.
    >>
    >>In case i want to also hve CD boot option in Lilo, is it possible to
    >>do that. Please let me know.
    >>Darsin
    >

    > Why complicate things? Set up your BIOS once so that it checks the floppy,
    > then the CD then the HD. If you want to boot from a floppy or a CD, put it
    > in before you turn on the machine. You don't need the added aggravation of
    > booting to HD before falling back to floppy or CD.
    Because booting from a floppy/CD first allows people who happen to have
    console access or accidentally leave in a bootable floppy or CD to
    really take control of hte machine.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  5. #5

    Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote in message news:<lTUXa.10973$mZ6.10871nwrdny02.gnilink.net>. ..
    > Jim Bowering wrote:
    >
    > > Darsin wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hi,
    > >>I have installed RH 8.0 on my system. I also hve WinXP installed. Lilo
    > >>is my default boot loader. I want to give an option for booting from
    > >>floppy in lilo. So that i want to boot frm win98 startup disk, or any
    > >>other boot floppy. I want to avoid changing boot options frm bios.
    > >>What changes shld i make in Linux.conf file for this.
    > >>
    > >>In case i want to also hve CD boot option in Lilo, is it possible to
    > >>do that. Please let me know.
    > >>Darsin
    > >

    > > Why complicate things? Set up your BIOS once so that it checks the floppy,
    > > then the CD then the HD. If you want to boot from a floppy or a CD, put it
    > > in before you turn on the machine. You don't need the added aggravation of
    > > booting to HD before falling back to floppy or CD.
    >
    > Because booting from a floppy/CD first allows people who happen to have
    > console access or accidentally leave in a bootable floppy or CD to
    > really take control of hte machine.

    Thats one reason and i wanted single interface which has all my boot
    options..
    and enabling floppy and CD boot then moving to Lilo un-necessarily
    increases the boot time. Also i just wanted to know if that was
    possible.. as in other boot loaders (like XOSL).
    Darsin Guest

  6. #6

    On 4 Aug 2003 23:48:34 -0700, [email]darsinphreaker.net[/email] (Darsin) wrote:
    >Hi,
    >I have installed RH 8.0 on my system. I also hve WinXP installed. Lilo
    >is my default boot loader. I want to give an option for booting from
    >floppy in lilo. So that i want to boot frm win98 startup disk, or any
    >other boot floppy. I want to avoid changing boot options frm bios.
    >What changes shld i make in Linux.conf file for this.
    >
    >In case i want to also hve CD boot option in Lilo, is it possible to
    >do that. Please let me know.
    >Darsin
    Add the following lines to "/etc/lilo.conf"

    other = /dev/fd0
    label = floppy
    unsafe # don't check floppy when lilo is installed

    LILO version 22++ links at:
    [url]http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilo[/url]
    johninsd at san dot rr dot com Guest

  7. #7

    johninsd at san dot rr dot com <bitbuckethotmail.com> wrote in message news:<4ik2jvo5hv7nprubcvo0l9b9ltj4pn59fg4ax.com>. ..
    > On 4 Aug 2003 23:48:34 -0700, [email]darsinphreaker.net[/email] (Darsin) wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >I have installed RH 8.0 on my system. I also hve WinXP installed. Lilo
    > >is my default boot loader. I want to give an option for booting from
    > >floppy in lilo. So that i want to boot frm win98 startup disk, or any
    > >other boot floppy. I want to avoid changing boot options frm bios.
    > >What changes shld i make in Linux.conf file for this.
    > >
    > >In case i want to also hve CD boot option in Lilo, is it possible to
    > >do that. Please let me know.
    > >Darsin
    >
    > Add the following lines to "/etc/lilo.conf"
    >
    > other = /dev/fd0
    > label = floppy
    > unsafe # don't check floppy when lilo is installed
    >

    > LILO version 22++ links at:
    > [url]http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilo[/url]

    thanks for the help. It works perfectly well. Is there a way to do the
    same with CD-Rom?? Because when i tried the similar options for CD ..
    it displayed error.
    Darsin
    Darsin Guest

  8. #8

    On 6 Aug 2003 22:41:03 -0700, [email]darsinphreaker.net[/email] (Darsin) wrote:
    >johninsd at san dot rr dot com <bitbuckethotmail.com> wrote in message news:<4ik2jvo5hv7nprubcvo0l9b9ltj4pn59fg4ax.com>. ..
    >> On 4 Aug 2003 23:48:34 -0700, [email]darsinphreaker.net[/email] (Darsin) wrote:
    >>
    >> >Hi,
    >> >I have installed RH 8.0 on my system. I also hve WinXP installed. Lilo
    >> >is my default boot loader. I want to give an option for booting from
    >> >floppy in lilo. So that i want to boot frm win98 startup disk, or any
    >> >other boot floppy. I want to avoid changing boot options frm bios.
    >> >What changes shld i make in Linux.conf file for this.
    >> >
    >> >In case i want to also hve CD boot option in Lilo, is it possible to
    >> >do that. Please let me know.
    >> >Darsin
    >>
    >> Add the following lines to "/etc/lilo.conf"
    >>
    >> other = /dev/fd0
    >> label = floppy
    >> unsafe # don't check floppy when lilo is installed
    >>

    >> LILO version 22++ links at:
    >> [url]http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilo[/url]
    >

    >thanks for the help. It works perfectly well. Is there a way to do the
    >same with CD-Rom?? Because when i tried the similar options for CD ..
    >it displayed error.
    CD's do not have BIOS device codes. CD's boot if the BIOS can emulate a
    floppy drive on part of the CD, per the El Torito spec.

    If you have a BIOS that supports the El Torito Bootable CD spec, then you can
    boot from a LILO CD. Use "mkrescue --iso" to create a bootable CD image; burn
    with "cdrecord".

    "mkrescue" & man pages are in the LILO source distribution.

    --John

  9. #9

    johninsd at san dot rr dot com <bitbuckethotmail.com> wrote in message news:<dak8jvk1caerfqehnf5b7t0hi9uj2k82eg4ax.com>. ..
    > On 6 Aug 2003 22:41:03 -0700, [email]darsinphreaker.net[/email] (Darsin) wrote:
    >
    > >johninsd at san dot rr dot com <bitbuckethotmail.com> wrote in message news:<4ik2jvo5hv7nprubcvo0l9b9ltj4pn59fg4ax.com>. ..

    > >> Add the following lines to "/etc/lilo.conf"
    > >>
    > >> other = /dev/fd0
    > >> label = floppy
    > >> unsafe # don't check floppy when lilo is installed
    > >>

    > >> LILO version 22++ links at:
    > >> [url]http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilo[/url]
    > >

    > >thanks for the help. It works perfectly well. Is there a way to do the
    > >same with CD-Rom?? Because when i tried the similar options for CD ..
    > >it displayed error.
    >
    > CD's do not have BIOS device codes. CD's boot if the BIOS can emulate a
    > floppy drive on part of the CD, per the El Torito spec.
    >
    > If you have a BIOS that supports the El Torito Bootable CD spec, then you can
    > boot from a LILO CD. Use "mkrescue --iso" to create a bootable CD image; burn
    > with "cdrecord".
    >
    > "mkrescue" & man pages are in the LILO source distribution.
    >
    > --John
    >

    > LILO version 22++ links at:
    > [url]http://freshmeat.net/projects/lilo[/url]

    Thanks for the info